No announcement yet.

July 14, 2018 Meet & Greet at Lowes Wharf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am bring the usual jig heads 1/8 ounce to 1/2 ounce with paddle tails. I will also bring a small spinner and rattle trap for perch.
    MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
    2016 Hobie Outback LE
    Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
    https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post
      Hey guys,

Curious how long these outings last - my lower back reaches it's limit on a kayak much sooner than I would like!
      Typically in the past, the fishing half of this get together last 4 to 5 hours with 1 hour or more for lunch. My plan is to launch at 6am as stated by Coop1486. I will fish until 10 or 10:30 am and then I will head back to shore to load up my kayak and get ready for lunch. I am going to take some pictures and video of the event for a report, otherwise, I would stay out on the water a little longer. Some anglers in the past would head back on the water after lunch. It is all up to you. This seems to be a large group for this M&G, so it can be a great time for new kayakers to look at other kayak rigs.
      2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

I plan on using the usual white color zman 4"/6" paddle tails and carry a few shallow diving cranks... i typically also bring different weighted jig heads ranging from 1/4 to 3/4 oz.

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
        Is there anything bait or lure wise that would be highly recommended? I plan on just bringing my usual jighead/paddle tails that I use on this side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok guys, again, this is my first trip and I am looking forward to it. Trying to prepare as best I can. I have two rods that I am bringing - a lighter rod for perch and a heavier rod for stripers. The lighter rod can probably handle stripers too, but my question is should I bring and ultra-light for perch only? Or is that not necessary.

I have plenty of perch lures I think, and just got some more soft plastic stuff that others have suggested. I have both paddle tail and fluke style.

Any other suggestions - things I might not be thinking of?

As for kayak gear, I have rod leashes, air horn & whistle, pfd, etc. Is there a need for an anchor? I have one, just not sure if it will make sense to keep it in the crate.
          I think that a flag is important there if you have one. The biggest big water issue to me is the boaters, and there will be many if you decide to paddle out to Poplar Island. A flag helps then see you between the waves, fog and beer. A radio is nice too in case you need some type of help or information.

I have a Hobie now, but I have previously been to Lowes paddling my OK. The maps of the area understate the distance to the Island from the shore. It is a solid 3-4 miles each way. My first year paddling there, I paddled out and the paddle back was crucial because the tide was pushing hard the other direction. I ended up getting help from Snaggedline Team Hobie!

The paddle to the island is doable if you are in good shape, and are in search of rockfish. I have caught quite a few there. I would start on the north end of the island. I have never caught anything at the south end, though many others have. I've just had better luck up top, and if I had to choose where to spend 100,000 paddle strokes, it would be there first.

If you don't plan to do 10 miles out and back, no worries because I've found lots of perch, a few flounder, and even a redfish on the shoreline. Not to give away anyone's honeyhole, but the shoreline headed north has weeds and rocks that have been productive for me. I have never caught anything along the south shore.

The lures everyone has suggested all will be fine. There's no special lure you need. I say bring the ultralight because they are a blast.

Look forward to meeting you tomorrow.
          Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Originally posted by 22Tango View Post
            I think that a flag is important there if you have one. The biggest big water issue to me is the boaters, and there will be many if you decide to paddle out to Poplar Island. A flag helps then see you between the waves, fog and beer. A radio is nice too in case you need some type of help or information.

I have a Hobie now, but I have previously been to Lowes paddling my OK. The maps of the area understate the distance to the Island from the shore. It is a solid 3-4 miles each way. My first year paddling there, I paddled out and the paddle back was crucial because the tide was pushing hard the other direction. I ended up getting help from Snaggedline Team Hobie!

The paddle to the island is doable if you are in good shape, and are in search of rockfish. I have caught quite a few there. I would start on the north end of the island. I have never caught anything at the south end, though many others have. I've just had better luck up top, and if I had to choose where to spend 100,000 paddle strokes, it would be there first.

If you don't plan to do 10 miles out and back, no worries because I've found lots of perch, a few flounder, and even a redfish on the shoreline. Not to give away anyone's honeyhole, but the shoreline headed north has weeds and rocks that have been productive for me. I have never caught anything along the south shore.

The lures everyone has suggested all will be fine. There's no special lure you need. I say bring the ultralight because they are a blast.

Look forward to meeting you tomorrow.
            Thanks for the additional info. I don't have a flag, but I'll see how it goes tomorrow and if I feel like I am going to do more of this, I'll probably invest in one.
            2015 Hobie Revolution 13
            2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Thanks for the additional info. I don't have a flag, but I'll see how it goes tomorrow and if I feel like I am going to do more of this, I'll probably invest in one.
              Belairfishing I have spare flag you could barrow. I will bring Sat.
              2012 hobie outback
              2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

The winds and weather looks good for tommorw.(subject to chachange)Looking forwards to see you guys. Don't forget bring lure for the bucket.One drawing will be the biggest of any fish aand 2nd bucket will be just name.
                2012 hobie outback
                2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by coop1486 View Post
                  The winds and weather looks good for tommorw.(subject to chachange)Looking forwards to see you guys. Don't forget bring lure for the bucket.One drawing will be the biggest of any fish aand 2nd bucket will be just name.
                  Can you confirm the launch time, please. Oh, and I'm in for lunch now!
                  Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
                  Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Hello,

I met Tom at Bass Pro and was invited to attend the meet & greet. I would like to attend to fish only at this time. Lunch might be an option, but I have some dog care issues. This will be my 1st time Kayak fishing in the bay and look forward to it. Looking forward to meeting and fishing with new people.

Adam
                    2018 Hobie PA 12 Camo
                    2017 Ascend FS12 Camo

Comment

Originally posted by 22Tango View Post
                      Can you confirm the launch time, please. Oh, and I'm in for lunch now!

6 30 launch. 12 30 lunch
                      2012 hobie outback
                      2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Forgot to mention I'm bringing a young angler with me. Sorry, It will be just his second time kayak fishing the bay.

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
                          Forgot to mention I'm bringing a young angler with me. Sorry, It will be just his second time kayak fishing the bay.
                          The more the better.

I have to state a correction, the launch time is 6:30am not 6:00am like I mentioned in an earlier post. See everyone there. It should be a good day. From Coop's count it seems like we will have 29 Anglers attending.
                          Last edited by moc; 07-14-2018, 03:56 AM.
                          2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Anybody catch anything?

2015 Hobie Outback
                            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                              Anybody catch anything?

I’ll speak for myself and say yes, I must have caught over 20 stripers all in the 15-18” range. It was pretty constant action all day for me. It was a great time on the water and I met some great people. Coop did an awesome job of hosting this event.

Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Good job, sounds like a successful M&G...
                                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                                X