No announcement yet.

how to determin reel size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several years ago My friend and I had very little experience with rockfish. In fact I think it was the second week of August and we fished some rip rap for perch with our light tackle set ups with 6 lb. mono. We caught rockfish after rockfish mostly all from 20 to 30 inches. We took the time to revive them and every fish we released swam away strong.

Comment

Neil Taylor is a kayak fishing guide in Tampa, Florida who has guided some of us on this forum numerous times.

Our typical catches there are specks, redfish, snook and pompano to name just a few of the species. Depending on their size, they can pull as hard or harder than mid-20 inch stripers.

Yesterday he posted an article about reel size on the Cap Mel website where he advocated the use of lighter gear.

http://www.capmel.com/reel-size/

Among his points, lighter reels are less tiring to use on lengthy trips, and braided line has added line capacity to smaller reels that was impossible with mono.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Neil Taylor is a kayak fishing guide in Tampa, Florida who has guided some of us on this forum numerous times.

Our typical catches there are specks, redfish, snook and pompano to name just a few of the species. Depending on their size, they can pull as hard or harder than mid-20 inch stripers.

Yesterday he posted an article about reel size on the Cap Mel website where he advocated the use of lighter gear.

http://www.capmel.com/reel-size/

Among his points, lighter reels are less tiring to use on lengthy trips, and braided line has added line capacity to smaller reels that was impossible with mono.
        Mark,

I went on a trip out of Hawks Cay in the Keys last year. We were live lining pin fish for snook and Jacks. I caught a 20 inch Jack on the same "light" tackle most of us here use for stripers. Pound for pound, that Jack was the hardest fighting fish I have ever caught.

Steve
        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
        2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Well just a slight update/tag along on this topic and light tackle.... When I was out Sunday, I caught a 19" striper on my UL setup that I was looking for Perch with lol. I thought it was a Cat at first then I saw it. Quiet surprised. Although when she went back into the water after unhooking, it took her some time to get the energy to swim away... What the DNR was saying it real, these poor things are stressed.

Comment

Working...
          X