No announcement yet.

Selecting a PFD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turtled in my Outback two years ago in my inflatable PFD (West marine Brand). It inflated, re-entered yak. kept fishing with the guys. Didn't have my spare CO-2 in the right pocket and it got lost during inflation. But worked fine overall, I'm a big guy, no issue floating.

I have the Hobie Fisherman PFD, it's nice and comfortable, but hotter than...….

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Originally posted by jjflash68 View Post
      Another strike against inflatable PFDs is they inflate when you don't want them to. A few years ago my father who wore an inflatable PFD fell while getting out of the kayak at the boat ramp in 2 feet of water and his inflatable activated. Instant harness of shame. The PFDs designed for kayak fishing that others have listed will suit your safety and comfort.

Jack

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      Based on all your guys recommendations, I am going with an inflatable and will carry spare vest just in case. Thanks for everyone’s input! Stay safe in the water. Always prepare to be in the water!

Jackson Kraken 15.5
      Lowrance Hook 2 5

Comment

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...828-story.html
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Jmoye View Post
          Based on all your guys recommendations, I am going with an inflatable and will carry spare vest just in case. Thanks for everyone’s input! Stay safe in the water. Always prepare to be in the water!
          Take this with a grain of salt as I realize all of us are adults and entitled to our own decisions, but as the article in Mark's link points out, should you be rendered incapacitated (injured, unconscious), a non-inflating vest spells disaster. Doesn't matter if you have a container ship full of spare life vests next to you. If you aren't conscious, you cant put it on in a case where your primary PFD doesn't inflate.
          "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
          Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
            Take this with a grain of salt as I realize all of us are adults and entitled to our own decisions, but as the article in Mark's link points out, should you be rendered incapacitated (injured, unconscious), a non-inflating vest spells disaster. Doesn't matter if you have a container ship full of spare life vests next to you. If you aren't conscious, you cant put it on in a case where your primary PFD doesn't inflate.
            I hear you man! Thanks!

Jackson Kraken 15.5
            Lowrance Hook 2 5

Comment

I have an NRS Chinook that I really like, very comfortable and highly visible in the orange color. I just got a Kokatat Leviathan to replace my Chinook (it’s got a few holes in it now and I can’t get “that” smell out of it, lol). The Leviathan’s front panels are a bit more form fitting, and rides a little higher than the Chinook. It has a few more pockets and the back panel is thinner than the Chinook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X