Hobie Mirage Drive Recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Mirage Drive Recall

I went fishing the other day and ran into something and bent the mast on my Mirage Drive. I have a 2017 Hobie Outback that I actually purchased in 2016, so I have one of the 1st batches of the 180 V1 Mirage Drives - This is the Mirage Drive with the thumb knobs. I went online looking to buy some new replacement mast for my Turbo Fins and I found out they don't make the Mirage Drives with the thumb knobs anymore and it has to be replaced with the Mirage Drive 180 V2 update kit which cost $255!!! To sum up a frustrating story... I found out there is a recall on the early productions of the 180 Mirage Drive Fins (V1 to V2 upgrade). I received my free upgrade kit in the mail today and am about to start the change out. I don't know why Hobie doesn't advertise this because I happened to stumble across this info on my own and probably would have never known if I hadn't damaged my Mirage Drives. I hope this info helps the people who have the V1 Mirage Drive 180...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ST@TS; 02-28-2019, 11:42 PM.
    2017 Hobie Outback - Camo
    2014 Hobie Oasis - Olive

Too many moving parts for me...like the Standard GT mirage Drive with Turbo fins...completely bulletproof...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I've been pretty happy with my V2 180 drive, at the end of a catfishing trip I was just messing around with it to see how fast I could go. In almost a full sprint I was hitting 6.5mph on my GPS/FF, so that's pretty quick IMO. I think I could've hit 7 but I'm not sure, still that's really fast for a 2018 outback which is supposedly slower than the new 2019s. I think the 180 drives trade a little reliability for speed advantages, but they may be a little less reliable and the fins might be a bit stiffer/harder to pedal.

Comment

I was going to forego the 180 when I purchased my 2018 Revo. I had pedaled my 2012 Revo for 5 years without reverse and saw no critical need for that function. Also, I discussed with Delaware Paddlesports (DPS) the poor reliability reviews I had read about the initial release of 180. DPS told me a modification had been made to the unit and the results had been good so far.

That indeed has been my experience. Cross my fingers, no problems.

Also, while I still do not view the reverse as a critical function, it is a very nice capability to have. I've used it much more than I thought I would.

However, old habits are hard to break and for many months I would instinctively grab my paddle when I had to back up, forgetting that I could pedal backwards. I don't do that now. The reverse is great to hold position in wind or current and for maneuvering in tight quarters.

The Mirage Drive is an amazing system and incredibly durable given the abuse we give it. There's a chunk of concrete barely submerged not far from the launch at Goodhands Creek. I found it the hard way in my old Revo going full tilt. I bent both shafts during the collision but the unit still worked. I was concerned that in bending the shafts other parts of the drive would have been damaged. They were not despite the sudden jolting halt to my progress. All in all it's a tough, proven drive system.

For those who want to know where that potential drive killer at Goodhands is:

Annotation 2019-03-01 102616.jpg
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I thought Hobie rushed this Drive out, almost traded it back it for a standard drive when I first got it. It was clanking and banging like crazy, very noisy. Stealth went out the window.

I hope they honor this recall, it was definitely a "Silent" recall.

Yak 67
          2016 Hobie PA-12 Cam0
          2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

There was an article about the Mirage Drive and speed awhile back. It had to do with the torque screw and if more or less was better. What they found was the fastest setting was the back fin(closes to you) on high torque and the front fin on medium torque. Just an FYI.
            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              I was going to forego the 180 when I purchased my 2018 Revo. I had pedaled my 2012 Revo for 5 years without reverse and saw no critical need for that function. Also, I discussed with Delaware Paddlesports (DPS) the poor reliability reviews I had read about the initial release of 180. DPS told me a modification had been made to the unit and the results had been good so far.

That indeed has been my experience. Cross my fingers, no problems.

Also, while I still do not view the reverse as a critical function, it is a very nice capability to have. I've used it much more than I thought I would.

However, old habits are hard to break and for many months I would instinctively grab my paddle when I had to back up, forgetting that I could pedal backwards. I don't do that now. The reverse is great to hold position in wind or current and for maneuvering in tight quarters.

The Mirage Drive is an amazing system and incredibly durable given the abuse we give it. There's a chunk of concrete barely submerged not far from the launch at Goodhands Creek. I found it the hard way in my old Revo going full tilt. I bent both shafts during the collision but the unit still worked. I was concerned that in bending the shafts other parts of the drive would have been damaged. They were not despite the sudden jolting halt to my progress. All in all it's a tough, proven drive system.

For those who want to know where that potential drive killer at Goodhands is:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24678[/ATTACH]
              Not to highjack the post but is the Goodhands area good for crabbing?

Comment

Originally posted by justeric View Post
                Not to highjack the post but is the Goodhands area good for crabbing?
                A professional waterman/crabber works the area most of the summer through the fall. He works very long lines between Hog Island and the breakwater all the way from Kirwan Creek to near The Narrows. That doesn't impede my fishing in any way. However I'm mindful of his presence and give him plenty of space. On weekends the amateur crab fleet is out in force. But again, the areas they work do not interfere with my fishing. That particular site must indeed be a good crabbing area.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                  There was an article about the Mirage Drive and speed awhile back. It had to do with the torque screw and if more or less was better. What they found was the fastest setting was the back fin(closes to you) on high torque and the front fin on medium torque. Just an FYI.
                  How do you determine what torque setting you're in?

Comment

Screw all the way in is low torque and screw out is high torque. That is what Hobie said in an email when I asked last year.
                    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Screw all the way in is low torque and screw out is high torque. That is what Hobie said in an email when I asked last year.
                      Are you aware that there is a recall on the Mirage Drives with the screw and thumb knob (V1)? You can see my old drives in my picture and the new ones (V2) they sent me in the package in my picture. The new improved drives cannot be adjusted. Hobie went back to the old system where the pin is holding everything in place. They realized they had it right the 1st time.
                      2014 Hobie Oasis - Olive

Comment

Originally posted by ST@TS View Post
                        Are you aware that there is a recall on the Mirage Drives with the screw and thumb knob (V1)? You can see my old drives in my picture and the new ones (V2) they sent me in the package in my picture. The new improved drives cannot be adjusted. Hobie went back to the old system where the pin is holding everything in place. They realized they had it right the 1st time.
                        Are you aware that on the bottom of the shaft of the new V2 Mirage Drive 180 there is a torque screw. Take the fin off and you will see. Screw in for less, out for more. Have a nice day.
                        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Yes, I am aware of the screw on the V2 mast.
                          2014 Hobie Oasis - Olive

Comment

Are you aware that on the bottom of the shaft of the new V2 Mirage Drive 180 there is a torque screw. Take the fin off and you will see. Screw in for less, out for more. Have a nice day.
                            Yes, I am aware of the screw on the V2 mast.
                            2014 Hobie Oasis - Olive

Comment

IMG_20190302_1303232_rewind.jpg

For those who don't know.
                              2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Working...
                              X