Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lower End Kayaks (Not hobie or native etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
    I forget who said it first ( I heard it from Steve), but always buy your second kayak first. I was lucky enough to get my first kayak as a gift, and it really cemented the love of the sport in me, so I waited a few years, saved some money, and even just asked for strictly cash for my birthday from family, friends, etc. I then compiled that into buying my 2018 "demo" hobie at DPS. I went used, and the 2019s were announced about a month after I got my kayak, so I was a bit disappointed. I would've liked to have tried both models of outback out, but I think I still would've stayed with my 2018. It pays to do thorough research, and maybe even link up with members who have an extra kayak, and figure out if that style would suit your needs. I think DPS has demo days 2-3x per year, so you could always make the trip over there and try out a few different kayaks. Some local shops may do demo days as well, and it'd certainly be worth it to attend one.
    I have had the opposite experience. I still find my first kayak to be the one I want and considering that I got it for $369 it's one of the best purchasing choices I have ever made. Don't get me wrong a Hobie would be damn nice and just having some more room would be nice but that is going to come in as extra cost and extra weight that I really don't want or need. I see many with Hobies that actually go out in buy a cheaper and lighter kayaks that fit conditions where the weight and/or peddle drive are just not appropriate to a body of water or launch. Getting a Hobie or other high end bay ready kayak and then deciding that you prefer to fish ponds or shallow rocky rivers it is not a wise move either and can be much more costly in the long run. If I take up skiing, shooting or even baseball I seldom save up for the highest of end gear until I figure out what my abilities and preferences end up being. Many take up something new and then they find they have not the time or even the inclination they thought they would. You can catch deals on kayaks from just those that have done just that.

After kayaking a good number of years I have decided that there are maybe five to ten kayaks that I would find ideal for all the various conditions that I like to fish. There's times an eight footer barge type would be best and there are times where a 16 foot ocean ready streamlined one would be best. Every kayak is a compromise and I say the worst compromise is to wait to get on the water. You got to start somewhere to even get to the point of figuring out your fishing preference. Sure not saying buy something junky or unsafe but there are bargains to be had and I see guys fishing out of little $159 Walmart specials that seem to enjoy themselves just fine and maybe even more knowing they don't have to make payments or pay interest on a credit card.
    Last edited by DonV; 04-02-2019, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Let me chime in with an experience I had this afternoon in Sarasota, FL. I am attending a meeting here and had a few hours free. I rented a kayak at a park near my hotel. The kayak was an inexpensive model. It had all the components of a fishing kayak, but they were not all of high quality to aid fishing. In particular, the seat was really uncomfortable. Even when I added a thick gel pad, I reached butt fatigue in about one hour. I tried to keep fishing, but was too uncomfortable and stopped sooner than planned.

You can fish out of almost any kayak, canoe, or SUP, but if you are not comfortable when using it, you are not likely to keep going out. Regardless of what you buy and how much you spend, keep an eye on seat comfort as a primary criterion.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        Let me chime in with an experience I had this afternoon in Sarasota, FL. I am attending a meeting here and had a few hours free. I rented a kayak at a park near my hotel. The kayak was an inexpensive model. It had all the components of a fishing kayak, but they were not all of high quality to aid fishing. In particular, the seat was really uncomfortable. Even when I added a thick gel pad, I reached butt fatigue in about one hour. I tried to keep fishing, but was too uncomfortable and stopped sooner than planned.

You can fish out of almost any kayak, canoe, or SUP, but if you are not comfortable when using it, you are not likely to keep going out. Regardless of what you buy and how much you spend, keep an eye on seat comfort as a primary criterion.

I will keep that in mind. The stadium seat is high on my list. All though comfort is very important, I am significantly younger then likely all other users of this forum ( another reason I am looking for a cheaper kayak. I can only sell so much bait/ mow so many lawns). So I tend to be able to adapt better to uncomfortable positions. Thanks for the input. My standards have definitely been raised after some more research.
        Annapolis
        2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
        Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

I definitely echo John's point about butt fatigue. At a minimum, I like to spend 4 hours on the water, and at maximum my longest days can push 10 hours without ever getting up. I have a Dick's $299 special, and that price naturally means my seat is awful haha For context I'm 31, and on longer days I usually take a break and stretch, hang my legs over the sides or over the front, or just wiggle in place until my butt and back feel somewhat normal again. My point being, as I look for a second kayak now, rod holders are important, tracking is important, storage space is important, but gosh darn it seat comfort is the one luxury I am truly looking forward to!
          Matt
          Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
          2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
          10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Thanks, Matt. Good luck in the search for your new yak. I’ve looked more into the Ascent 10T and it looks like it has a nice seat / lots of storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Annapolis
            2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110

Comment

My advice is to get something used. If you search enough, you can find a quality product for a more affordable price.

2nd advice is to make sure you get a large enough boat for the waters you want to fish. Especially if you are paddling. A longer kayak offers more glide and allows you to paddle farther/longer with less effort.

3rd-Lighter weight is always better. If I have the choice of 2 kayaks with similar design and price, pick the lighter kayak.

The older I get, the shorter my fishing trips are. 2-4 hours is typical for me.

Comment

When I was looking for my new yak, DPS on Rt 1 in Lewes was an enormous help. They had a nice selection of consignment kayaks of high quality and low price. When I explained to him the situation of the deal I was being offered someplace else, he actually urged me to go with that deal. I will be returning there this summer for some supplies, simply because I respect his honesty over profit margin.
                Adam

Anagennisi- 2017 FeelFree Moken 12.5- Orange Camo

Comment

Excellent point, I completely forgot about the DPS consignment area.

You can pickup a quality used $X,000 kayak for half-price if not more discounted. Buying quality used is definitely an advantage, the lifespan of a quality yak can be costly up front, but depreciation / amortization over the long-haul (if you plan to keep it awhile) is definitely something to keep in mind...
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Thanks for all the help. For anybody still interested, I am now the proud owner of a vibe sea ghost 110. I purchased it from Chris at Big Bass USA. Great guy that drove from Denton to Annapolis to deliver it himself. They carry tackle and other brands of kayaks. Would recommend the company to anyone looking for new tackle or a new kayak. A1871B11-AB17-4469-BE7B-52BCA28A8EE1.jpg
                    Annapolis
                    2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110

Comment

I'm sure you will be happy with the Vibe, I know I am.

Thanks for posting the name of the seller.
                      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                        I'm sure you will be happy with the Vibe, I know I am.

Thanks for posting the name of the seller.
                        Thanks.
                        Sorry, I am terrible at detecting sarcasm, should I not have posted his name? He owns the company and his info is readily available online with one search and two clicks.
                        Annapolis
                        2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110

Comment

No problem with showing the dealer's name. I visited Chris's shop last month for the first time. I dropped in unannounced and met Chris and his business partner John. John runs a tackle shop in Denton -- Chris helps out and handles the kayak business. My reason for stopping in is that the shop also sells Native Watercraft kayak, and I wanted to introduce myself. The physical store is called Denton Rod and Tackle. They also do internet sales under the business name BigBassUSA.com.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                            No problem with showing the dealer's name. I visited Chris's shop last month for the first time. I dropped in unannounced and met Chris and his business partner John. John runs a tackle shop in Denton -- Chris helps out and handles the kayak business. My reason for stopping in is that the shop also sells Native Watercraft kayak, and I wanted to introduce myself. The physical store is called Denton Rod and Tackle. They also do internet sales under the business name BigBassUSA.com.
                            Yep! Thanks for clarifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Annapolis
                            2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110

Comment

I really meant thanks. I didn't know about this place so now I do.
                              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

It is always a good thing to post what great service you receive from different kayak shops around the area. This helps many new and old kayakers alike.
                                MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                                2016 Hobie Outback LE
                                Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                                https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Working...
                                X