Unusual kayak launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual kayak launch

I took advantage of a rainy morning to drive to visit several potential kayak launch spots and shoreline fishing spots on the Patuxent River. The river was brown with runoff and did not yield any fish for me this morning. However, I did discover one of the most unusual kayak launch setups I have ever seen.

When exploring a new area for potential water access points, I use Google Maps in the map mode. When I find a bridge crossing a stream or some other feature that looks interesting, I switch over to the aerial photo mode. Following this procedure I saw what appeared to be a driveway at the back end of the Davidsonville Park on Patuxent River Rd. This park features numerous athletic fields and some paved hiking trails. As one of those trails ended near the river, I drove there today to check it out.

I drove to the last parking lot and saw a paved driveway heading toward the trees with a sign for a canoe/kayak launch. Two wooden bollards were locked in place, blocking the driveway. I don't know if the driveway is ever open, but it was not today. I walked along the driveway for about 8 mins on a level paved surface. I saw a small parking area on the left and steps going down on the right. Next to the steps was a double rail setup that I assume would be used to slide a kayak up and down.

2019-04-13 09-24-29.jpg

I walked to the bottom and found a muddy, slippery shoreline after the rain. There was access to the Patuxent River here but no improved launch site or ramp.

I can visualize how the rails could be used to lower a kayak, but it would be quite an effort to slide/pull a kayak back up the steep pipes to the driveway. A lightweight recreational kayak could be managed, but a loaded fishing kayak would take some herculean effort.

2019-04-13 09-31-09.jpg

Earlier in the week, I visited the Governors Bridge Natural Area in PG County (near the Bowie Baysox stadium). They have several ponds and kayak access to the river there. The access road is behind a locked gate (much like Homeport Farms, you can get the lock combination). I walked back to the launch and found no improved ramp -- just shoreline access off of dirt.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Sure that’s not a roller coaster track? I’d have liked to be a fly on the wall when they said this looks like a good spot for a launch. Even a lightweight day kayak would be a struggle to haul out. Thanks for sharing.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

John are you familiar with saki.iwarp.com ( Google up Saki's Launch Site page)?

He lists a huge number of accessible or semi-accessible sites from which to launch.
      It may save you some legwork and mileage, and may put into places you haven't discovered on your travels.
      He give directions and GPS coordinates for most of these.

Comment

Unusual kayak launch

If you call you can get the code for governors bridge and drive back to the launch, parking at the top of the hill.
        The davidsonville park launch isn’t to bad. The rails are actually nice. I have a 12 old town sit in I take down there. But unfortunately the road back is never open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will not complain about the hill at Beachwood.

I will not complain about the hill at Homeport.

I will not complain at the hill at Spriggs Farm.

Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I hate roller coasters. I'm going to have nightmares tonight of sitting in my Moken 12.5 and flying down those rails to splashdown like at Hershey Park. CURSE YOU LOG FLUME!
            Adam

Anagennisi- 2017 FeelFree Moken 12.5- Orange Camo

Comment

Originally posted by admwndsr83 View Post
              I hate roller coasters. I'm going to have nightmares tonight of sitting in my Moken 12.5 and flying down those rails to splashdown like at Hershey Park. CURSE YOU LOG FLUME!
              Atleast wait for the river to be high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

John, I regularly walk my dogs in Davidsonville Park. I have never seen the path that leads to the kayak launch open to vehicle traffic.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
                Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Originally posted by MD Dore View Post
                  John, I regularly walk my dogs in Davidsonville Park. I have never seen the path that leads to the kayak launch open to vehicle traffic.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
                  Based on those observations, I wonder why they even have a parking area at the top of the stairs?
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I'm actually trying to organize a multi-day trip down the Patuxent, this spring or summer. This past winter I was able to scout some of the launches.

http://patuxentwatertrail.org/

The first is Governor's Bridge, mentioned earlier (marker 58). The next two are of Queen Anne's launch (marker 52), much nicer and improved facilities. Both of these sites are maintained by PG county. The phone number to access them is at Jugg Bay, which also has a launch and some facilities, but I did not stop there on my trip.
                    KIMG2533.jpgKIMG2539.jpgKIMG2542.jpg
                    Tight lines
                    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]24865[/ATTACH]
                      $20 to the first person with video evidence of them riding that thing down to the water!
                      "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                      Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Reminds me a little of the Mott's run launch on the Rappahannock river. I only take out there...glad I always have a buddy with me, it is quite the workout! At least there are stairs.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W...potsylvania_VA
                        Green Old Town Loon 111
                        Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
                          $20 to the first person with video evidence of them riding that thing down to the water!
                          It would take me at least $200
                          Adam

Anagennisi- 2017 FeelFree Moken 12.5- Orange Camo

Comment

Those rails remind me of a boat launching trolley in the southern Argentine city of Comodoro Rivadavia. The tides there are huge. This setup allows a boat to be place on a wheeled trolley that can slide on long steel rails to the water.

Resize of Venez-Argentina 165.JPG Resize of Venez-Argentina 166.jpg Resize of Venez-Argentina 167.jpg
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis

Comment

Great pics. I haven't yet been to Davidsonville Park. If the Davidsonville gate had a combo lock, like Homeport, would it be usable despite the hill and kayak rollercoaster?

Here's the county website for Davidsonville Park: https://www.aacounty.org/locations-a...dsonville-park

And here's the Patuxent Water Trail website for Davidsonville Park: http://patuxentwatertrail.org/launch...sonville-park/

I have some good news about AA County paddle-in campsites, including the one near the Queen Anne put-in on the Prince Georges County side. I'll start a new thread.

Lisa, back from Mexico and catching up . . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X