Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean Kayak Scrambler XL worth it?

Hey,
    So I’m new to this forum and kayak fishing in general. I have an older OK Scramble XL and was going to start outfitting it for fishing. Is this an alright kayak to start putting money into or should I get something else?

I’m based out of Baltimore but I’d like to be fishing anywhere from here to OC to OBX.

Let me know what you think..

Thank you.

Is that a 10 footer or a 12 footer?

Ideally Chesapeake Bay fishing you would want a 12' LOA (or longer) for stability.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

It’s a 12’ sit on top. Just not sure if I should put money into it or try and save up for a used one.

Comment

CFDB39D0-3FA6-4D6F-998C-2E8C6E903F56.jpg
        Is it possible to install a higher seat? The main draw back I have with the kayak is always getting really wet from sitting so low

Comment

Cortolillo87,

I don't know how you could install a higher seat without jeopardizing stability. A cushion several inches thick may provide enough lift to keep your butt dry without compromising safety.

I think your best bet is to look for another kayak equipped with a raised seat to fish larger tidal waters in the areas you mentioned. Most fishing kayaks have adjustable lawn-chair-style mesh seats now that offer a dryer ride. Even so, I keep mine on its lowest setting when fishing rougher water. The good news is that even on the low setting my mesh seat stays dry when waves crash over the gunwales.

However, if you get another boat I would keep your present kayak for use on quiet waters, especially if it's light and easy to transport.

Welcome to the forum.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Cortolillo87,

However, if you get another boat I would keep your present kayak for use on quiet waters, especially if it's light and easy to transport.

Welcome to the forum.
            Mark took the words out of my mouth - that looks like the perfect kayak for big pond/lake/reservoir fishing. Or bigger/slower freshwater rivers.
            2015 Hobie Revolution 13
            2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Mark,

Thank you for the quick reply.
              I might just try the pad for now and see how it goes. I’m on a pretty tight budget and don’t think a new boat is going to happen in the near future.
              Do you have any suggestions for a wallet friendly boat that would work well on tidal waters? Really want to get down to Taylors Island and that region soon

Comment

Originally posted by Cortolillo87 View Post

Let me know what you think..

I think you go with what you have. No sense in dumping a bunch of money into a new boat when youre so new to the sport. Many people have done just that and have ended up with nothing more than a unused plastic decoration in their back yard.

A pair of drypants or chest waders solves the wet butt issue. When and where you fish is a matter of what youre comforatable with. Your yak could handle most fishing in the area in ideal conditions. Ideal is the operative word, conditions can change fast on the water. I don't think you have to limit yourself to
                big pond/lake/reservoir fishing. There are plenty of tidal creeks and bay locations that can be fished safely and are close enough to shore that you can get off quickly if the weather turns. You just have to make sure you do your homework when it comes to tides/weather.
                "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
                  I think you go with what you have. No sense in dumping a bunch of money into a new boat when youre so new to the sport. Many people have done just that and have ended up with nothing more than a unused plastic decoration in their back yard.

A pair of drypants or chest waders solves the wet butt issue. When and where you fish is a matter of what youre comforatable with. Your yak could handle most fishing in the area in ideal conditions. Ideal is the operative word, conditions can change fast on the water. I don't think you have to limit yourself to
                  big pond/lake/reservoir fishing. There are plenty of tidal creeks and bay locations that can be fished safely and are close enough to shore that you can get off quickly if the weather turns. You just have to make sure you do your homework when it comes to tides/weather.
                  Good advice, well stated.
                  2015 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by Cortolillo87 View Post
                    Mark,

Thank you for the quick reply.
                    I might just try the pad for now and see how it goes. I’m on a pretty tight budget and don’t think a new boat is going to happen in the near future.
                    Do you have any suggestions for a wallet friendly boat that would work well on tidal waters? Really want to get down to Taylors Island and that region soon
                    Gee...I really don't have a particular brand to recommend. I think all the big name makers produce quality boats. I've paddled/pedaled and/or owned an Ocean Kayak, Jackson, Native, Hobie, and Wilderness Systems. There may be other brands I've used and forgotten. Each has been a good boat especially when used in water that fitted its strengths.

I did have the wet seat situation you mentioned with an earlier model Hobie and I got tired of being drenched, even with dry pants in cooler weather or while wearing shorts in the heat of summer. I much prefer the slightly elevated lawn chair style mesh seats for a dryer more comfortable ride during the outing and afterward. Driving home in wet pants or chilled to the bone is not fun.

Watch here or on Craigslist for a used SOT from one of the major makers. Otherwise, the price point for a new paddle boat in the range of 12 to 13 feet is probably close to $1000 or more for the makers I mentioned. Be patient. A good used one will come up for far less than that.

And as others have said, your present boat will fish well for most of our local fresh and tidal waters. There's no perfect kayak for all situatiions. That's why many of us on this forum own more than one.

Good luck,
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I had the ocean kayak scrambler xt and xl. They are really more of a surf play boat turned into kayak fishing. I would never want to paddle one more then 4miles ever again. Ocean/bay swells are fine with this yak but any higher in the seating and like mark said you rist stability. Ocean kayaks are great yaks and will hold up to abuse over the years and are excellent as you get into the sport. Would I dump money into upgrades? In the short answer no. The scrambler is hard to rig due to its curved sides. You might be able to rig a fish finder and a crate but wouldnt go much nore then that. Surf to summit made a seat just for the ocean kayak drifter that had a 3" raised seat that might keep the seating area a little bit dryer. Also ive seen guys make pvc platforms to raise the seat. Overall I would say just enjoy the yak and dont worry to much about rigging. Its a good grab and go light weight take a beating handle anything you throw at it kayak. Hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message. Tight lines!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
                      Desert Camo- Moken 14
                      Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Wow, thank you all so much for all of the responses. Definitely one of the nicest online communities I have ever dealt with.
                        Looks like at this point just use what I have for now and try to find something over fall/winter and really get at it next spring.
                        If you ever see someone on a janky ocean kayak please say Hi. Look forward to meeting some of you along the way.

Thank again

Comment

Even if you buy a new boat, use it thoroughly before you rig-it with gadgets and gizmo's you don't need or won't use.

Hope to see you on the water!
                          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                            Even if you buy a new boat, use it thoroughly before you rig-it with gadgets and gizmo's you don't need or won't use.

Hope to see you on the water!
                            That's good advice too. It's easy to geek out after going down a YouTube rabbit hole. I built myself a crate before I even went fishing. Now, the last 3 trips I have made, I don't even take the crate. I found that everything I need fits in 2 Plano boxes, my vest, and the storage pockets on my Revo.
                            2015 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Agree wholeheartedly. I wisely took this advice. Have had my kayak since June and only added a fish finder, two rod holders, and a paddle clip.

No crate, anchors, lights, etc - and May never have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Native Slayer Propel 13' w/ Boonedox Rudder (Copperhead), Lowrance Hook2 5 Splitshot HDI

Comment

Working...
                              X