Crab vs. Shrimp for Tog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crab vs. Shrimp for Tog

After moving to Delaware late last spring I’ve finally had the opportunity to start fishing for Tog. I’ve been using Green Crabs with some success but am wondering if I would have as much luck with raw shrimp, fresh or frozen. I would think that it would be easier to thread a shrimp on a hook than to remove the legs of the crabs and cutting them into halves or quarters. However, I would hate to lose the obvious enticement the crabs have for the Tog.
    Experiences and opinions?
    Bill
    Nucanoe Frontier 12

Raw shrimp works great

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Just don't buy the frozen easy peel ones.

Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Shrimp is excellent bait. Clam can be good too. Some sharpies have told me that tog will bite shrimp or clam better than crab when the water is really cold in the late and early parts of the season. Shrimp and clam can be hard to fish when the picker fish are around though.
        Brian

Comment

Agreed with all of the above. I have also heard the thought that shrimp works well when the water is colder. I can’t say that it’s better than crab or even different from my trips. Some days it seems like they want one over the other. In VA, I freeze fiddler crabs I catch from the summer to use for tog in the winter to reduce bait costs. Never hurts to try both side by side and see how you fare.
          J

Comment

This would make a good experiment. I'll have to try both on my next Tog trip and see which one does better. I usually use sand fleas and green crab.
            Tommy
            2020 PA12 360 - 2019 and 2016 Hobie Outback
            Check Out My Fishing YouTube Channel - TomyTek Outdoors
            https://www.youtube.com/c/tomytekoutdoors

Comment

I tend to always bring both and use whatever works best the given day.

Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
              X