No announcement yet.

End of season for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following up on John's post, I've actually been looking forward to this time of year for my kayak fishing to improve. The spring and summer of 2019 were difficult for me due to family concerns. And then our persistent spring rains swelled our rivers and diluted the salinity of our tidal waters. The result, combined with an already declining striper population, was generally poor tidal fishing locally throughout the summer.

However, before our Noah-like spring arrived, the 2019 season started great for me. I was catching a lot of pickerel in Eastern Shore ponds from late last fall through March. Fat, feisty fish. And I caught the vast majority on the fly which doubled my enjoyment. So I am looking for a repeat of that in the immediate months ahead. I hope I am not disappointed. I was spoiled to have high expectations.

I am very cautious on the water all year, but doubly so in cold weather. I am keenly aware of hypothermia dangers. A worn PFD, not one merely stowed in your kayak is paramount. Also, I rely on my experience, judgment and in-boat techniques to be safe. Clearly the risks remain. Caution can only mitigate not eliminate them. But, the call of calm water on pristine winter ponds with willing pickerel and an occasional bass and crappie is too much for me to forego. So, I look upon this time of year as the start of my kayak angling season, not the end.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for your reports Big Mike. I didn't make down to southern Maryland this year hopefully I will next year. I will probably get out in my kayak a couple of times this winter. I will definitely be fishing for Pike and pickerel from shore at Loch Raven and will probably hit a pond or two in the kayak. I am also planning a kayak trip to Florida this winter. I will keep everyone posted.

Comment

SMOG report of November 21-

the food we ordered at Bert’s Diner in Mechanicsville was fattening, bad for you and delicious today...our crew decided that the fellowship was important so we had lunch together and had a great time! Happy Thanksgiving to all our Snaggedliners!
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          SMOG report of November 21-

the food we ordered at Bert’s Diner in Mechanicsville was fattening, bad for you and delicious today...our crew decided that the fellowship was important so we had lunch together and had a great time! Happy Thanksgiving to all our Snaggedliners!
          You know, that's a great idea for the off season winter months. I'll send some PM's to the OGWLTF group.
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
          X