Need some opinions on big guy yaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some opinions on big guy yaks

So I currently own a 2018 big rig paddle version. I’m pretty comfortable in it but it can be an absolute beast to paddle. I do a lot of trolling and find myself heading in to go for perch because I can’t keep up with the paddling. I’m considering 3 different pedal options. Hobie pro angler, big rig hdfd and the old town predator pdl. I was hoping to fit into an outback but I don’t think that’s in the cards. I do plan to go test drive them at DPS once all this corona stuff is over. So if anyone has experience with those kayaks out in the bay that’s a bigger guy I’d love to hear your opinions. Thanks and stay safe.

I know that it’s not in line with what your looking at, but I have been fishing from a Frontier 12 for years. It’s incredibly stable and not bad to paddle. They can be equipped with peddle drive. It’s so subjective based on what feels right to you. All that said I too am looking to go to DPS and test drive as well. Lol

Comment

Don’t know if big means heavy, tall, or both. I fish out of a 2014 Pro Angler 14 and I weigh in NFL offensive lineman territory but I’ve got short legs. I fish it hard and often and have mostly positive things to say about it. I got it specifically because of my size and if I need to replace I’d probably go the PA route again. Having said that there are times I wish I had a skinnier boat for speed, you will be left behind by the armada if your chasing breaking fish. You’ll also need to factor weight of the yak, I trailer my boat because I don’t have a pickup. Not an issue in St Mary’s but virtually impossible to launch in AA if you trailer. But let’s talk about all that beautiful space you’ve got. I keep my seat in the elevated position (only once have I ever lowered it for conditions on the water) which is very comfortable and makes egress much easier. On both sides of the seat I keep the bulk of tackle I’m using for that trip because you’ve got lots of deck space. I generally fish 4 rods, but only one at a time. The rest are in the rod tubes, below the gunnel and out of the way. I’ve got 360 degrees of freedom to cast and fight a fish.

Let’s talk my biggest bugaboo, I think I’ve probably got 450 to 500 trips in the boat and feel like I should get at least that many more, but.... Last year I had one of the front seat mounts punch through the plastic. I’ve now got a metal L bracket supporting the mount. This year the plastic is cracking at both rear seat mounts. I’m watching it and scheming how I’ll have to jury rig something back there. I’m comfortably below the 350 lb seat limit and not happy that they didn’t have thicker plastic in these areas. Maybe fixed in newer models.

Enjoy your search and let us know which way you go.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

You already listed several pedal drive kayaks. If you definitely want a pedal drive boat, also take a look at the many pedal-drive models offered by Native Watercraft. Most of them feature the same upright frame seat. They have a range of costs, features, weight, size, and speed.

I am 6'4" and 240 lbs. I fished successfully from a Native Slayer Propel 10 pedal kayak for five years. Although it is light weight and only 10' long, it has a very roomy cockpit area. It is very stable but not fast. Native offers three sizes of pedal kayaks in their Titan series. Those are really stable boats with lots of features.

I recently bought a 15'3" Native Ultimate FX15. It weighs less than 80 lbs but has a weight capacity of 600 lbs. It has vast amounts of room in it.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          Don’t know if big means heavy, tall, or both. I fish out of a 2014 Pro Angler 14 and I weigh in NFL offensive lineman territory but I’ve got short legs. I fish it hard and often and have mostly positive things to say about it. I got it specifically because of my size and if I need to replace I’d probably go the PA route again. Having said that there are times I wish I had a skinnier boat for speed, you will be left behind by the armada if your chasing breaking fish. You’ll also need to factor weight of the yak, I trailer my boat because I don’t have a pickup. Not an issue in St Mary’s but virtually impossible to launch in AA if you trailer. But let’s talk about all that beautiful space you’ve got. I keep my seat in the elevated position (only once have I ever lowered it for conditions on the water) which is very comfortable and makes egress much easier. On both sides of the seat I keep the bulk of tackle I’m using for that trip because you’ve got lots of deck space. I generally fish 4 rods, but only one at a time. The rest are in the rod tubes, below the gunnel and out of the way. I’ve got 360 degrees of freedom to cast and fight a fish.

Let’s talk my biggest bugaboo, I think I’ve probably got 450 to 500 trips in the boat and feel like I should get at least that many more, but.... Last year I had one of the front seat mounts punch through the plastic. I’ve now got a metal L bracket supporting the mount. This year the plastic is cracking at both rear seat mounts. I’m watching it and scheming how I’ll have to jury rig something back there. I’m comfortably below the 350 lb seat limit and not happy that they didn’t have thicker plastic in these areas. Maybe fixed in newer models.

Enjoy your search and let us know which way you go.
          I’m in that category too. I’m 6’3” 320. I appreciate your response and seeing some reviews on you tube of the hill cracking from seats in hobies is kinda concerning. Thanks for your response it sounds like a really stable kayak. Can’t wait to demo one. Main thing keeping the PA as the number one is the price tag. I mainly fish aa but I don’t think I’ll trailer as I have a truck.
          Last edited by Fish123; 04-20-2020, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I will look into the natives thank you. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in person. I’ll definitely test one out at DPS thanks!

Comment

You might consider putting a motor on the back and save the $5000 a PA costs today. I LOVE my TORQEEDO. It would be cheaper than buying a new yak

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                You already listed several pedal drive kayaks. If you definitely want a pedal drive boat, also take a look at the many pedal-drive models offered by Native Watercraft. Most of them feature the same upright frame seat. They have a range of costs, features, weight, size, and speed.

I am 6'4" and 240 lbs. I fished successfully from a Native Slayer Propel 10 pedal kayak for five years. Although it is light weight and only 10' long, it has a very roomy cockpit area. It is very stable but not fast. Native offers three sizes of pedal kayaks in their Titan series. Those are really stable boats with lots of features.

I recently bought a 15'3" Native Ultimate FX15. It weighs less than 80 lbs but has a weight capacity of 600 lbs. It has vast amounts of room in it.
                I can’t believe I’ve never looked into native before. They look like they have some really nice options. Do you have any experience on the 2020 slayer propel 12.5? That looks like a sweet ride for sure. Just from the eye test/cost it’s looking like a winner to me. Definitely planning to demo that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                  You might consider putting a motor on the back and save the $5000 a PA costs today. I LOVE my TORQEEDO. It would be cheaper than buying a new yak
                  Thought about it but I honestly am not in love with my big rig. The cockpit area isn’t great for tackle management. The more I go out the more frustrated I am with the lay out of things in the cockpit.

Comment

Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Go directly to a Native Titan. The thing is huge. Tons of room. And it pedals pretty quickly. You won't have trouble trolling 3mph.
                    Native Titan Propel 12
                    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
                    Mercury 6hp
                    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Originally posted by Fish123 View Post

I can’t believe I’ve never looked into native before. They look like they have some really nice options. Do you have any experience on the 2020 slayer propel 12.5? That looks like a sweet ride for sure. Just from the eye test/cost it’s looking like a winner to me. Definitely planning to demo that one.
                      I have no personal experience with the new Slayer Propel Max 12.5. I believe it is Native's latest entry into the pedal drive market. Quite a few of the Native Pro Staff team members fish from that kayak and seem very happy with it. Please keep in mind that there is no perfect kayak for all situations. If you can do an on-water test of that model and possibly other models, you can see how they compare.

If you are seriously interested in Native products, I suggest that you check out two Facebook pages that are forums for Native boats. You can get a lot of real world information from folks who own those kayaks.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/slayerpropel/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/231976636990928/
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Well demoed a few kayaks and chose the Native Slayer Max 12. Coming from a Big rig 38” wide I definitely didn’t realize how much of a difference those 4in made in stability. The titan was a cool kayak but it was just really heavy and barge like. Exactly like my big rig which was the whole reason I wanted to upgrade. There is two seat positions, high and low. I did not feel comfortable in the high position but I didn’t really use it in the big rig. The low position of the seating is much higher than my Big Rig and while I don’t feel like I’m going to tip over it felt different. After buying the slayer I went and peddled around for a few hours and am definitely feeling more comfortable on a peddle yak after that. I had difficulties with my rudder control af first but I started to figure it out. The slayer turns on a dime. I can comfortably cruise at 3mph with minimal effort. Now it’s time to rig it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish123 View Post
                          Well demoed a few kayaks and chose the Native Slayer Max 12. Coming from a Big rig 38” wide I definitely didn’t realize how much of a difference those 4in made in stability. The titan was a cool kayak but it was just really heavy and barge like. Exactly like my big rig which was the whole reason I wanted to upgrade. There is two seat positions, high and low. I did not feel comfortable in the high position but I didn’t really use it in the big rig. The low position of the seating is much higher than my Big Rig and while I don’t feel like I’m going to tip over it felt different. After buying the slayer I went and peddled around for a few hours and am definitely feeling more comfortable on a peddle yak after that. I had difficulties with my rudder control af first but I started to figure it out. The slayer turns on a dime. I can comfortably cruise at 3mph with minimal effort. Now it’s time to rig it up.

Congratulations and welcome to the Native family. As you get more used to the new kayak, you may want to add accessories or personalize it. The Facebook links I posted above are useful to see what other owners have done and to get your questions answered.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                            Congratulations and welcome to the Native family. As you get more used to the new kayak, you may want to add accessories or personalize it. The Facebook links I posted above are useful to see what other owners have done and to get your questions answered.
                            Thanks John. Thanks for opening my eyes to the Facebook group. Everyone is very helpful and well mannered it seems. Usually I stay the hell away from Facebook. I used that page a lot last week for research.

Comment

Get a Jackson Mayfly. It's a freakin barge, but put a Torqeedo on it and you'll get the 3mph needed to troll stripers. You'll love the stability and the layout is for fly fishermen. So the entire deck is WIDE OPEN.
                              Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
                              Mercury 6hp
                              Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Working...
                              X