No announcement yet.

I love(d) this page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with some additional meet and greets, even if they are small and informal. There were a couple last year, and I ,unfortunately, was busy for each of them. Along with contributing more here, one of my goals this season is to go to at least one, and if they are up an running possibly volunteer at a HOTW event.

To provide some perspective, not to make excuses, I'll share where I came from regarding this wonderful forum. As someone who is new to this world I relied heavily on this place as a resource. To that end I did it through the search function. I can tell you exactly why my initial interface with Snaggedline went that way. Among the many hobbies I've collected over my life, paintballing has always been there. I started playing 20 years ago, and gear is hanging on my wall right next to my kayaks. For anyone else here that enjoys that sport they'll know what PBNation is. It is the Snaggedline of that world. With one major difference that I can say I have observed very clearly now. If you go to PBN to ask about a part, or method, or something, and someone within the last 10 years has asked that question, you get roasted for not searching the forum. Now I am not saying that is the right way to handle that stuff, in fact that "old guard" mentality is likely why that sport, and things like golf have struggled with the younger crowd. But as someone who started there, much younger, I was brought up in that digital culture. If you want to call it that... So finding something new, like this hobby and this place, I was incredibly gun shy about asking a question that may have been answered already.

What I have learned both with face to face interactions with other members of the community, and on the forum is that the desire to tell fish tales extends to all things in the land of kayak fishing. Personally, I have never had an issue answering a question that has already been asked. I taught high school students for a few years and currently work at a college with a large student employee population. So, I find satisfaction in helping others grow. It is nice to see a community that seems to operate in the same fashion. But, I did not recognize it at first and that is a failure on my end. So, if you're new, feel like you don't know what you're doing (I still don't), introduce yourself and feel free to ask questions. This place is great. The community is strong and knowledgeable. Once things return to a place where we can all get out and do what we love I look forward to sharing the actual experience in person with those of you that are there, or recapping it here with the ones that couldn't make it.
    Christian

2018 Camo Outback
    Pau Hana 12' Endurance XL SUP
    Riot Mako 10

"I have no idea what I am doing, but this is fun"

Comment

We’ve had this discussion here before and not that long ago.

As I recall the consensus of opinion at that time was:

1. Perhaps kayak fishing has run its course and plateaued in interest.
      2. Many have migrated to Facebook
      3. Lack of Meet & Greets and the demise of the CBKA tournament has lessened interest in Snaggedline.

I think they were valid points just as are the new points that have been raised in this latest thread.

I do sometimes hesitate to post because I’d like others to chime in. That’s especially true when a new person asks a legitimate question. But sometimes, answers are not forthcoming. If I believe I have something helpful to contribute I do.

But what I cannot do is to be incomplete in my answers. Some may indeed find my posts too long. Foremost, I hope they find them instructive, if they take the time to read them. I believe Facebook and Tweeting have reduced the tolerance of many for detail. That’s a shame because much can be gleaned by the experiences of others beyond their clicking a “like” in Facebook or sending 280 characters in a Tweet. I believe it takes more than that to provide helpful information.
      Forgive me. I'm old.

I really enjoy it when I see folks new to the forum asking questions. They are the future of the hobby and we should do everything we can to be welcoming to them. On the other hand, a simple acknowledgement from them in return to a sincere answer given is sometimes lacking. I find that odd. It makes me wonder how serious their interest was to begin with.

As to worries about spot burning, I have none. I do not share specific spots here because I know it would bother others. But in presentations I’ve given to live audiences, I freely share my favorite fishing locations. I do that without concern for two reasons. First, fish swim lots of places. I know of no spot that is active every time I visit. Second, I firmly believe it’s important how you fish at given location. It’s not if you pedal or paddle. It’s not if you fly fish, use bait or fish with conventional tackle and lures. Of course, fish have to be present. But how you fish via your chosen method determines if you will catch them. How else can you explain two or more people at a given site simultaneously and their results differ. Luck plays a role. Technique counts more. That’s why in my reports I try to say which methods worked and which methods didn’t.

I can understand Michael’s consternation about the snakehead person he tutored giving him the cold shoulder on a chance meeting. That’s just rude and a few other things I would not put in print. Michael deserved better. I also think that’s rare based on the many people I have met on this forum who have been nothing but gracious. Some I know by name. Some I know a little better. And some I consider among my best friends.

To me, that has been the greatest reward of Snaggedline. Catching fish has been the least of it. Friendships and being outdoors in wonderful settings are what I enjoy the most.

So, I do hope when this health crisis ends and we return to the water that we’ll see more kayak fishing reports here. I think it would also be good if we stage another Meet & Greet just to get the ball rolling again.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Well, just for fun, I looked up two videos of the old Meet and Greets from my archives. These seemed to be two of the larger attended Meet and Greets. For some old time Snaggedliners, they may bring back fond memories, and for the newer Snaggedlines, this might inspire them to host a small Meet and Greet of their own when this pandemic subsides.

MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
        2016 Hobie Outback LE
        Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
        https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Martin,

Thank you for posting that video.

Coop's Lowes Wharf M&G was always good and that one in 2018 was one of the best. As I recall from the radio chatter, darned near everyone caught at least 20 stripers which means that perhaps 500 were caught that day. Most were undersized but I think someone caught a 26 incher as the largest.

Additionally, John Rentch and I came down the day before and fished from another nearby launch site. We caught close to 100 by ourselves. The area was teeming with stripers at that time.

My first M&G catch catch was this little guy on top water maybe 50 yards from the launch:

P1030963.jpg

But I caught most of my fish that day by casting a simple jig and paddletail:

P1030974.jpg

It was a lot of fun for all and a lot of pullage:

D.jpg P1030973.jpg

A really good day!
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The Point Lookout M&G was the reason I bought a Hobie...left with the Hobies in my Ocean Prowler paddle yak-by the time I finally got offshore in 24’ of water, the Croaker bite had died...then fighting the wind and tide took another hour getting back in...never looked back...best decision I have made..and has contributed immensely to my fishing enjoyment. Hands free fishing...holding steady in current while casting and landing fish...the physical effort of leg power over arm power...all are such advantages when your primary goal is fishing...Moc’s shiny, bright red Hobie got me off the dime...
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-28-2020, 11:53 AM.
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Those were great times with hopefully more to come. There were other great M&G's. These were the ones that had a complete video showing the day. They were great M&G's in St. Mary's County, others that were held at Lowes Wharf, Susquehanna, Ocean City in their Back Bay, Upper Potomac, Jonas Green on the Severn River, just to mention a few. Some Meet and Greets were held at the CBKA Tournaments due to scheduling availability. Then the Snaggedline crew went down a few times to the TKAA Tournaments in Virginia Beach, and we did pretty well in the competition and raffle. They also went up North to the Jamaica Bay Tournament in NY.

The new members on this forum, have a lot of history with photos and some videos on here to help them keep up the traditions. Thanks to Grill for introducing this forum to me many years ago. I think I was member 52.
                2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Working...
                X