X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    The launch is "Nan's cove"
    It is a Calvert County park.
    It is small pier with a very convoluted kayak launch designed by a frustrated engineer.
    There are 6 parking spots, a bulkhead along the (3' drop), so you have to use the pier launch.

You have to carry you yak on the pier and make a 90 deg turn on a 3' wide pier with handrails, down the ramp, onto a ~10' long platform then lift the yak over a small rail onto the "launching platform ramp/rollers"

They could not have designed a more difficult launch if they held a contest to design the most difficult launch.

PM'd you
    Sounds like that engineer thinks all kayaks are 30 pound Pelicans you can throw over one shoulder and be on your merry way
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Welcome.
      There are 2 public launches down that way in Calvert.
      Jefferson Patterson park and Solomons boat ramp: https://www.co.cal.md.us/1260/Water-Access

I am thinking JPP is your best bet, back up, unload about 25 yards from the beach, go park, drag/roll it to the beach.

We were killing the Perch, puppy drum, catfish on 1/8oz roadrunner jig heads with 2-3" grub tails. casting to any shoreline.
      You may find a snakehead if you get far enough up the creek.
      Slackdaddy--appreciate this info. Is JPP 24/7 & free to launch and park to your knowledge? Haven't been done this way in several years and thought this might be a good option when it gets cooler.

Comment

The "Park" is 7:30 to Dusk,,, But some one had said the launch is "outside" the official park, and he stated he was launching at 5:00 AM

Best to call or email:
        "For all of the areas listed below, please call 410-586-8501 or email jef.pat@maryland.gov for more information."

Originally posted by FRED driver View Post
        Slackdaddy--appreciate this info. Is JPP 24/7 & free to launch and park to your knowledge? Haven't been done this way in several years and thought this might be a good option when it gets cooler.
        Last edited by Slackdaddy; 08-27-2020, 07:01 AM.
        Captian of the plastic Navy
        1 - Mad River Canoes
        1- Tarpon 120
        1- Redfish 10
        1- Coosa HD
        2- Cuda 12
        1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

It is small pier with a very convoluted kayak launch designed by a frustrated engineer.
          You have to carry you yak on the pier and make a 90 deg turn on a 3' wide pier with handrails, down the ramp, onto a ~10' long platform then lift the yak over a small rail onto the "launching platform ramp/rollers"

They could not have designed a more difficult launch if they held a contest to design the most difficult launch.
          Sounds exactly the same as the new “kayak” launch they put in at Mariner Point park too. Supposed to be ADA accessible, I’d say more like inaccessible for everyone after trying it.. darn good idea fairies
          J

Comment

my rented cabin sits on a hill overlooking st lawrence creek. on 40 acres of land with lots of trees. hoping when Laura makes the pass it will still be acessable. thnks slackdaddy

Comment

Slackdaddy

Sorry for the late reply. I assumed that nans cove is where you were fishing. When the water cools the larger stripers will be more prevalent in the shallows. Not necessarily all shoreline areas but shallow water. If you have a finder look for bottom structure if not I would focus on areas that funnel current or have visible bait or birds. If you can get out early enough or late in the day shoreline areas are in play. When the sun is high look for the drop off areas adjacent to the shoreline shallows and check the oyster bar. There are some small creek mouths in the area and a prominent point (long paddle)that are worth exploring. Keep fishing shallow until the bait moves deep. My two biggest stripers this year (lost both) came in 4ft of water.
              Lastly I would say try to find the clear water. Lots of nasty brown water this year. If you can stay in the clearer green water it gives you the best chance imo.
              If you can combine moving water with structure, bait, and clean water you’ve got a dynamite spot. Try to find the little hot spots within the greater spot of nans cove.
              I don’t think you need to change locations to search for quality fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X