No announcement yet.

Striper primary food sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as jig heads go, you can catch fish on a variety of styles. Shad head style jigs are popular, as are smiling bills, and ultra minnows. All will catch fish if you can get them down in front of some fish.

For successful jig heads for areas like the Bay Bridge, check out this post from Pinch.

And this post, inspired by Pinch.

Comment

Thanks, I have the Ultra Minnow jig mold coming for under the tree in the same size already. I got the 1/2 to 1 1/2. I found another guy to pour with that has the Walleye jig mold to make teasers that look like grass shrimp.

Anyone tried spinnerbaits or inline spinners down there? I would think the vibrations have to trigger hits. I love some inlines, its the ultimate minnow trying to get away with lots of flashing.
      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
        Anyone tried spinnerbaits or inline spinners down there? I would think the vibrations have to trigger hits. I love some inlines, its the ultimate minnow trying to get away with lots of flashing.
        I throw a Redfish Magic spinnerbait every now and then. I never caught any redfish on it, but I picked up a number of schoolie stripers behind Solomons during lunch breaks and at St. Jerome's Creek last year. Not so much this year, though. My biggest redfish (only ~17") was caught on a bass spinnerbait behind Solomons in 2008, I think. I saw bigger spinnerbaits designed for striper fishing somewhere, but I can't remember where.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I got the do it Spinnerbait mold. Have Mold, can make any size bait with a 1/2oz head.

Realistically, I can bend my own wire like a beetle spin rig and make a spinnerbait from the Ultra Minnow jig mold.
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Working...
          X