First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nay_sayer View Post
    I don't want to stand on the gas docks or jig their pilings, I want to fish the bay around the gas dock area from the yak since they are one of the most productive areas in the bay for big Stripers. I know the 500 yd rule and that's part of the problem with getting out to the Stripers with the yak, it makes it that much further from the launch to the fishing grounds. This is why I suggested the MS/ferry service for this area.
    Nay Sayer, OK now I understand better, Yeah I'm all over that ! I also think that we could fish that area in the am and relocate across the Bay around James Isld, Punch Isld Ck and Boggs Marsh Gut in the PM and return same day. A MS trip would probably be the better play.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
      Frankly, I don't really see a big draw to the first part of the schedule. We can drive to and park near the Power Plant, launch, and paddle a mile or so to the Power Plant. We can also drive near the Susque, launch and paddle out to the Flats. The Pax and Potomac Rivers are also relatively easy to get to via car/yak.

Am I missing something here?

The Middle Ches Bay is harder to get to by yak alone, so the Ferry/Mothership Service is needed here. Chasing birds down the Bay via the Services would also be good. Yakers can go to the 1st Island (3 miles) at the CBBT, but there are other areas around the CBBT (beyond the 1st Island) where the Service is needed.

To me, the biggest draw for the Service would be to places like Triangle Wrecks (I think it's about 15-18 miles from VB) or C. Bay Light Tower (13 miles from VB). Inshore/offshore areas, wrecks or other ground structures that draw fish and are far from shore would be places where the Service is needed.

Guys, am I missing the point? Or does this make sense?
      When you find that launching point then let me know .......... the problem is there isn't an easy launching point that I know of. The path at the Calvert Cliffs state park is over a mile of tough hiking to get to the water ........

I'd love to have a taxi to Calvert Cliffs or the Gas Docks ........

Comment

How's the fishing around the discharge right now? I would be interested in fishing there soon!

What about cell/VHF coordination? Or a spot tracker? May be a good investment for you captain to have a floating radio for coordination or the gps tracker so that should a storm or something kick up you can let us know or at least find us?

If the weather isn't too bad for tomorrow I would be interested in hitting the discharge for $65!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Rick, one launch point is as the Captain pointed out, Flag Ponds. Yakers have done it. I didn't say it was easy. I have heard other launch points as well. My point was that it is a place that is accessible without needing the Service.

I'm sure there are folks that would make the trade. Use and pay for the Service for much easier access to the Power Plant area. This is a trip that yakers would have to make their own decision.

I heard the rips can be bad at the PP. Weather conditions can also change quickly. So, the Service will help minimize the risks. For me personally, depending on the conditions at the PP, I would consider using the Service for sure.

Again, my point is, for many yakers, the Service would have greater and continuing demand for situations where the fishing spot is tough to get to or where the Service would provide a safety back-up at faraway fishing areas.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

CCNPP warm water discharge

It is my priviledge to reveal some facts about the warm water discharge that may greatly affect kayak fishing there.
            First off , the discharge projects a very strong flow of water out of a rectangular shaped two cavity pipe that is laying parallel to the surface and about 6-7feet below mean high tide. As such, the flow right at the mouth of the pipe is more of an upflip than a surface burst. The strongest surface current is abt fifty feet out from the mouth and a thrill in even a powerboat.

The discharge flows directly to the northeast. This is extremely important as a strong wind more than 15 kts from the NE can turn the outflow into six foot haystacks. Please take note, it is no place to be in a strong NE wind, as the fetch of the wind coming across six miles of open water puts the entire area into a severe sea condition. It is true that professionals such as myself fish there on any direction of wind, and we do that my using a great deal of engine power to hold our guideboats in favorable positions so our clients can take the best casts. I don't know how to do that in a yak. And yet there are days that we just cannot fish there and usually just transit to the Eastern Shore side of the Bay and seek more protected waters.

The most favorable wind to fish the CCNPP is a SW wind, with a W, or WNW do-able. A small craft can stay in the lee of the land mass there on those winds, even in 25kts. But let the wind shift to the NNW to the east around to the SSE and that place becomes quite unpleasent. It's an exposed location, so check your weather before you go.

Also I hasten to state that while there is a rock rip-rap along the shoreline near the powerplant, and one small sandy beach, do not, REPEAT, DO NOT land there. You will be arrested on the spot, at gunpoint.....Your emergency is not the problem of the Security of the plant. Instead, paddle north to the beach at Flag Ponds Park and have your emergency there.

On the upside, there is a period of time( ,this year fifty-eight days) that the power plant goes into a powerdown outage status for purposes of maintenance. During this outage, the discharge flow is greatly diminished, and the conditions that produce dangerous conflict in a NE wind are not as severe, still requiring extreme caution but not class five whitewater.
            Last edited by Capt Brady Bounds; 02-26-2012, 07:23 PM.

Comment

CCNPP warm water discharge

Also it is my duty to inform all that besides the shoreline being off limits, there is a buoyed area off of the steel intake wall that is also off limits and an intrusion there will (1) get you videotaped,(2) get you ordered out by audio voice command and (3) get the US Coast Guard scrambled to the plant for a security breach, which never goes well for the small boat.

In fact if I'm there, and another boat goes into the "prohibited zone" I move away immediately and stand off by a mile or more until the USCG finishes doing their thing. Very bad juju.
              Last edited by Capt Brady Bounds; 02-26-2012, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Building The Kayak Cradles

Slowly and methodically , I'm building the cradles that will hold the kayaks , securely and with versatility, adjustable to fit any up to 40" in beam. As soon as the first model is completed, will get pix up on this site.

Comment

Working...
                X