No announcement yet.

march meet & greet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes the water is brackish in the Severn at Jonas Green.

Also, SurfDog, what time do we meet on Saturday. The weather looks good now. Also, what time do we meet at Griffins? I just want my memory refreshed. Also, how many of us are going to Griffins afterwards?

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
      Yes the water is brackish in the Severn at Jonas Green.

Also, SurfDog, what time do we meet on Saturday. The weather looks good now. Also, what time do we meet at Griffins? I just want my memory refreshed. Also, how many of us are going to Griffins afterwards?
      but is it classified as freshwater or saltwater ........ I don't have a freshwater license

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
        but is it classified as freshwater or saltwater ........ I don't have a freshwater license
        From DNR: "Chesapeake Bay & Coastal Sport (annual) License allows an individual to fish in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries and the state waters of the Atlantic Ocean and the Atlantic coastal bays and tributaries..."

http://dnr.maryland.gov/service/fish...se.asp#CBCSPFL

I'm guessing that's the license you have. Severn is covered.

So does that mean that even the freshwater, non-tidal upper Potomac is covered under this license as it's a tributary? Severn at Jonas Green, definitely...
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Huh ........ must have changed things since the last time I looked. Most years I'd get the fresh and salt lic so I never looked. Used to have dividing lines between fresh and salt. Gunpowder and Bush and Susky were railroad bridges. So Deer Creek is now considered salt water? That would mean Prettyboy and Loch Raven would be saltwater too since they are on the Gunpowder which is a tributary

Comment

All of those tidal/non-tidal dividing lines are still in place. See page 28 of the MD 2012 fishing guide:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/

A link to the MD fishing guide is located on the left under useful links.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

so is Jonas Green upstream from the rt 3 bridge or towards the bay?

Comment

Appears to be towards the bay... so Bay/Coastal License applies
                Attached Files
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                  Appears to be towards the bay... so Bay/Coastal License applies
                  good ....thanks

Comment

it was first light till 12 and meet at griffins at 1pm ish.

Griffins Grill is on rt 2 north 300yds north of college parkway. go back up 450 toward rt 50, stay straight and merge onto rt 2, griffins is on the right about 3 miles up

Comment

Some clarification

The Severn is considered tidal waters far upstream from Jonas Green. The Maryland tidal license is appropriate for this area. It is my understanding that anglers holding a valid Virginia saltwater/tidal license are covered under the reciprocal agreement and do not need to buy a separate MD license. For those of you who have a Virginia license but not a MD license, you are require to register with Maryland for NOAA fishery purposes (no charge for this).

The most likely fish that we will catch on Sat is chain pickerel. Although the DNR allows anglers to keep them, they are extremely bony and not much fun to eat. From a conservation perspective, it is good idea to practice catch and release on a species with a limited population in the Severn watershed.

It is possible that someone will catch a white perch (you can keep these if you want) or a yellow perch (I do not know the DNR regs for yellows -- they had been under a long term catch and keep ban for many years, but that may not be the case today -- you should check in advance if you want to keep any). Having said that, in the 25 or more trips I made in the Severn this winter, I caught 2 white perch and no yellow perch. So if you find them, you have done a good job.

I have not heard any reports of catfish being caught in the Severn this winter. I don't think they are common here at any time.

You could come across some striped bass. They are definitely catch and release only. If someone catches some other species, that will be big news.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

MD yellow perch regs are 9" and a limit of 10 white prech have no size or creel limit as long a they are caught by hook and line.

Comment

Do you guys ever use a VHF channel to tip each other of hot spots? Since we all will probably be working different parts of the river, would that be a good idea?
                          Sun Fishin'

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                            Huh ........ must have changed things since the last time I looked. Most years I'd get the fresh and salt lic so I never looked. Used to have dividing lines between fresh and salt. Gunpowder and Bush and Susky were railroad bridges. So Deer Creek is now considered salt water? That would mean Prettyboy and Loch Raven would be saltwater too since they are on the Gunpowder which is a tributary
                            The way I understand it the CB sport fishing license only applies to waters that actually are affected by the tides of the bay itself in some form so the reservoirs count as freshwater and anything above the dam in any reservoir is not affected by the tidal pull of the bay. There are spots along some of the tributaries that are almost completely fresh due to the water that feeds them but the cb sport fishing license still applies because they flow into the bay uninterrupted.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
                              Do you guys ever use a VHF channel to tip each other of hot spots? Since we all will probably be working different parts of the river, would that be a good idea?
                              I have one that I will bring. We normally decide on a channel at the M&G...like channel 68 I think.

Comment

That is correct, for the CB license there are dividing lines, which are mentioned in the booklet that one gets along with the license. As example, on the Choptank, freshwater is above the spillway at Red Bridges. If I remember correctly it is Great Falls on the Potomac.

Comment

Working...
                                X