360 degree sonar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 360 degree sonar

I went on the Humminbird website to check on a software update and noticed this new feature. Looks like it is backwards compatible with some of their older units. Seems like it would have easy setup on a kayak.

http://www.humminbird.com/360Imaging/
    Hobie PA 12

Looks confusing
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

It was just a matter of time before they put it together, to process the different directions onto the same image. Now even the down imaging has a 75 degree cone angle, at certain settings.

Comment

I use my ff to find the basic depth, drop-offs/ledges, and structure...I don't need to see how many scales the fish have. Half of the fun is the hunt.

Comment

I have a hard time interpreting side scan sonar images, but this makes sense to me. It's like looking at a radar. I wonder how well it would work with a scupper transducer? I also wonder what the images look like while you're moving. Pretty cool.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

My depth finder can even tell what sex the fish are.

Like Bill and Pinch made reference, it is how the information is processed and placed on the screen that can be confusing or very helpful. That is what will determine how great the 360 will be. It isn't really available yet, is it? That commercial is lke a coming attraction type thing, as I took it. It sort of looks like one of those phased array type radars or sonars. That is part of the problem of the side scan depth finders, how the information is displayed. It takes some getting used to viewing. I mean, how many split screens can one person view at a time. I can remember using an old flasher type depth finder and thinking, wow, how did folks get along before depth finders. Then thought back to when I was a kid. You would just fish known structure. Besides, sometime fisherman still get skunked.
            Last edited by DOGFISH; 03-06-2012, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Dang ...... and I just dropped the hammer on a HDS 7 w/structure scan .........

I want to see the fish, count the scales, determine the genetic make up, analyze the scat to see what they like to eat and determine the sex ...........

I want to see them eat my 1/80 oz jig at 60 feet all on a wide screen with 3 different views ...........

Comment

New Depth Finders

The key to understanding depth finders is to understand that not all of the processor is in the hardware that you are looking at. The other part of the processor is your brain, or as my case the two remaining neurons which are only making intermittent electrical contact. Depth finders generally must collect data from a 3D world and display it on a 2D format. We use our brains to fill in the gaps and interpret what the squiggles mean.

Take for instance the LCD downward looking unit. The two units being measured are depth and............time. Notice I did not state distance traveled. If you are moving, then time equals distance. If you are not moving, you are just pinging the same target over and over again ....but the display moves across the screen to reflect the passage of time, consequently a "fish" echo appears as a line across the screen, rather than an arch.

The newer HDS and side scan finders seek to eliminate the mental processing that must occur. However there is still some mental aspects to understanding what the screen is trying to communicate to you.

There are two basic ways to understanding HDS images. Both start out with reading the operators manual throughly. Then go to a known place where you have knowledge of the structure and see how the imaging compares. Make passes fast and nearly creeping along.

Next go to a fish finder expert and seek understanding. Some guides , especially those employed by Lowrance in the winter at shows, and those actually using the HDS systems, can jump you ahead on the learning curve by light years.

Comment

Looks to me like it's mounted on a retractable mast for lowering it below the boat and lower unit. If so, that's a lot of hardware and an installation nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                    Looks to me like it's mounted on a retractable mast for lowering it below the boat and lower unit. If so, that's a lot of hardware and an installation nightmare.
                    Not for mounting on a Pro Angler
                    Hobie PA 12

Comment

Originally posted by Aesiegel View Post
                      Not for mounting on a Pro Angler
                      True, I could just move the sink to the right a little

Comment

Johnson Outdoors owns Humminbird and MinnKota. That is probably why the boat mounted unit looks a lot like the MinnKota version of the power pole type device. To mount is below a kayak a simple arm type mount, like the liberator. I just bought a Humminbird 597ci HD DI. I think I'll stick with that for a while. I am going to want to see how the 360 degree plays out.

Comment

OK ... lets get a group order together.

Its only $2,000 for a compatible sonar unit and another $2000 for the 360 transducer

kind of funny this was posted cause I was looking at the Lowrance facebook page and someone asked about a 360 unit in the future. they replied that the technology has been around for awhile but since just a transducer alone would run about 2 grand, It would be awhile before it was marketed.
                          2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                            OK ... lets get a group order together.

Its only $2,000 for a compatible sonar unit and another $2000 for the 360 transducer

kind of funny this was posted cause I was looking at the Lowrance facebook page and someone asked about a 360 unit in the future. they replied that the technology has been around for awhile but since just a transducer alone would run about 2 grand, It would be awhile before it was marketed.
                            That kinda narrows it down to bass pros and omega protein

Comment

This is a little off topic but would downscan be of any use in the Bay? My reason for asking is that there is really little structure and it is relatively shallow by lake standards.

John
                              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
                              X