Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else keep track of their fishing data?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
    Access will be more than enough for you to do searches and log keeping. You can create forms on it that will save the data for you also.

As for the google links, it'll be easy if you have the GPS coordinates stored as fields in the database. Generate a report and build the google map URL with the coordinates and that's how you will flag the point on the map.
    The Access db is the easy part. The hard part is I want to put it all on the web for everyone to use. That way more data goes in and more data can be used to target the fish.

It is the MySQL/Sharepoint/online stuff that's gonna be my big challenge

Comment

Too much data makes prevaricating difficult....... i'd rather depend on my "Memory" I
      wish I could track my miles though.
      Last edited by kevinfry; 03-14-2012, 10:22 PM.
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
        Too much data makes prevaricating difficult....... i'd rather depend on my "Memory" I
        Depending on my memory is why I want to start keeping a log.
        I dont remember what i did yesterday
        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

The variables are so varied that raw data is pretty much usless- dates, winds, barometer reading,moon phase, temps, water turbidity, salinity, schools of bait, sun shine,/cloudy, rain, etc. that trying to duplicate the conditions are next to impossible...the sign at the Red Drum tackle shop in Buxton, N.C. says it all..."you should have been here yesterday.".
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
            Depending on my memory is why I want to start keeping a log.
            I dont remember what i did yesterday
            Exactly why I have started keeping a log this year... Trying to be as specific as possible but times, baits, locations and results are about all that makes it in.

Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
              I have never kept a log for my kayak fishing. Primarily this is because until 2011, I used the kayak for short summertime trips for perch or occasional winter trips. However, starting in 2011, with the additional free time resulting from my semi-retirement, I used the kayak frequently. It probably would be a good idea to set up some type of log book.

I have owned power boats since the early 1990s. For most of those years, I kept a log book of engine hours, miles traveled, gasoline added, and fish species caught at different spots. The miles traveled can be pulled from the GPS. I find that most boat fuel gauges are inaccurate. Once I established a typical fuel consumption rate for my boat (currently 4-4.5 mpg for a 70-hp, 2 stroke engine on a 16 ft boat), I can keep reasonably accurate track of my fuel levels and make sure I add fuel long before I run too low.

Log books are useful, but are only as good as the boater's willingness to add data for each trip. I'm sure we all can remember times getting home after a long day and not wanting to deal with putting gear away or items like writing in a log book.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
              X