No announcement yet.

Estimating speed while trolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That will not determine trolling speed. That is maximum efficent speed for the hull, right? That is for sailing.

Without a GPS, I would do what JAVeil suggested. Put the lure in the water where you can see it. Get it working right and let the line out. Of course, when you change directions to wind and current, that lure action may change. So also look at the tip of your rod to get that rod tip action working right. Even, with a GPS, that is speed over bottom, trolling speed may vary. Current will possibly make the lure work differently. There tends to be a range that the lure will work within. In any event, during a day of trolling, you should change speeds occasionally, to dial in the right speed.

On thing I am sure of, the fish don't have speed guns.

Comment

Looking at the lure is common, I was using tandem rigged bucktails/parachutes or swimbaits and i looked at their action but they look good at most speeds other than real slow. When fishing from a boat in the summer i would put a spoon on one rod really far out and watch the action of the rod to determine water speed. I should have considered this more when on the water. It seems I dont think very straight when my ass is sitting in my kayak
      -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
      -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

That was my solution, when I had my center console boat. I would always troll a large Tony. That is how I originally came to watch the rod tips. I don't usually troll spoons from the kayak. However, that is a sure method. I also knew what RPM would work the spoons properly. It was not really about speed.

Of course now that I use GPS and troll mainly crankbaits, 3.3 mph seems to be golden. I go somewhat faster with larger baits for spring fish.

Comment

max hull speed is physics of displacement hull, not its power source. to move from point a to point b, a displacement hull must 'displace' the water that was at point b. doesn't matter if it's a container ship or canoe in that respect. a planing hull can slide across the top of water w/o displacing its weight in water, from b to a.

i had assumed i was basically going hull speed at 3.2 because it felt comfy with stock hobie fins, which is also a good trolling speed, but learned i could probably reasonably increase my speed with an equipment upgrade to turbo fins.

but that would not change what speed a fish prefers for biting a trolled lure. this time of year i think around 3 to 3.5 (speed thru water) is generally considered optimum but i'll also add - that number seems to originate from powerboats dragging spreads of tandem-rigged 9" shads, and may be oriented toward slightly cooler water more typical of this time of year.

make sure the lure's swimming right,...
          Last edited by Southerly; 03-23-2012, 05:40 AM.

Comment

I pull Stretch 25's a lot- they are very effective lures for Stripers and I like to reel in fish- that said, trolling all day dragging two Stretch 25's at 3 knots is a big workout for anyone- buns of steel or not- The more stuff you hang on a yak the more displacement you give it- more displacement, slower it goes- Us big guys weigh more than some of you 175 lbs. lean and mean fighting machines...heavier kayaks don't go as fast as lighter kayaks- you have to compare Apples to Apples- my Outback isn't a speed barge like the 11 foot Revos...but what are we talking about? .5 mph? Yeah, a half mile per hour gets you to the dock a few minutes ahead of me, but it is a tradeoff, too. You can't physically put as much gear on the 11 foot, 28.5 inch wide Revo as I can my 12 foot, 33 inch wide Outback- The Outback has its good points and bad points like any kayak- no such thing as a perfect fishing kayak- it all depends on what fishing you do and where- dragging lures for Stripers is different than trolling for Tuna. None of our kayaks are planing hulls- My ass is dragging after a day on the water trolling all day....but I am happy that I spent a day on the water...at the end of the day, my GPS tells me that I covered well over twenty miles under pedal power-sometimes I think we over think everything- trolling speed is something you get into a rhythm and the proof of the perfect speed for the lure is if you catch fish on it at the cadence you are going-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
            X