Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation New LTJ rod

Okay folks...
    I just got a $60 BPS giftcard that is burning a hole in my pocket. I've been eyeing a new pier/shorter surf rod, but I think I am gonna get a rod that I will use to focus on LTJ using plastics and/or bucktails going after Stripers. I don't mind adding a little cash to it, but I ain't trying to go overboard, the wife found out about the STX and well that one took a little smoothing over LOL

I have a Abu Garcia ambassadeur 5500 that I would like to use with this purchase, but I am open to spinning rods too, plus I have the STX that I can use, so I have options. I was thinking about grabbing a carrot stix the orange or green one, but I wasn't sure how they would balance with the Ambassadeur... So I figured I would get some insight from you guys before I bust a move.

Thanks,
    MYT

The Carbonlite rods are really nice, and you wouldn't have to add too much cash. Shimano has redesigned several of their rod models that seem nice, too. You also can't go wrong with St. Croixs, but I hate the reel seats on their spinning rods. The TFO rods seem like a good bang for the buck. I don't like the reel seats on the saltwater casting rods because they don't provide access to the blank, but seats on the freshwater casting rods do. You might want to take your reel with you to see what balances best.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

The rods are getting more and more expensive every year- used to be a $100.00 rod was the top of any line- (excuse the pun) but $400 rods are now common...and most are made in China, where worker wages average 30 cents per hour...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

For a little bit more money you can have a custom rod made for you. I'm sure there are plenty of good rod builders out there. I have known Steve Fogle (SteveF on Tidalfish) for many years. Steve runs Backyard Custom Rods from his home near Frederick, MD. He has made rods for many guys on Tidalfish, and I have heard nothing but good reports about the performance of the rods. I finally bit the bullet this winter and ordered a custom light tackle jigging rod from Steve. He completed the rod in about a week. I have not had an LTJ trip since I picked up the rod, so I could try out the rod.

I paid $140 for the rod -- more than the St. Croix Premiers I usually buy, but less than many other top rods. Steve will work with you to customize the grip, reel seat, guide placement, color schemes, etc.

If you want to get something a bit different than what is on the rod rack at the store, check out Steve or some other local rod builder.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Myt I was in the same boat as you last year when i got my Dick's gift card. I had to add cash to the purchase but I love my Shimano Teramar rod. Light, sensitive, with a backbone. They retail around $110.00-$130.00 I think. Good luck on finding your rod!
          Hobie Outback
          WS Tarpon
          IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Thanks fellas,
            Ictalurus - I was eyeing those same ones! My only concern is the backbone, I won't be jigging more than 2 oz, but I wanna make sure I'm not missing hooksets because its too parabolic in its action.

J.A. - I gotta custom that I will be building myself, I have just been lazy and haven't had the time... I am sure that a custom would prove better in most cases, but I don't have the cash to shell out for it, and I wanna use this gift card! LOL

ILV2F5H - How do u like the Teramar? I have the Trevala... I was thinking about getting a S... But that one would have to be a cash purchase of oddly timed withdrawals of twenties... LMAO!

Comment

For the past two seasons i used the Berkley lightning rods. They are like $60 at bass pro. Not as good as St.Croix's but for the price I think they are GREAT. Plus if you buy the warranty program for $5 if you break it just bring it back in and they will replace it. I've broke 2 by mistake stepping on them when in the PA. I have also caught a 3 1/2 foot shark on the medium/heavy.

Comment

Ahhh man slap that 844 together and put any one of those reels on it. It will be much better than a store bought because its your blood sweat and tears.....

That 844 is a perfect jigging blank for our area.

Comment

I've got a ton of blanks just like it ....well probably around 50 to build ...... and some a little lighter and some a little heavier ........... and better cork than Steve uses .......... getting closer to the DAWG house ........ finished the Kitchen sink ....... Thanks to Zimm ........... and got rid of the couches and 3 trips to the dump of stuff ......... thanks to Yak Fisher ........

Next is the Bathroom and then to the framing down stairs ........

Then to building custom rods ............

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
                    Ahhh man slap that 844 together and put any one of those reels on it. It will be much better than a store bought because its your blood sweat and tears.....

That 844 is a perfect jigging blank for our area.
                    UGGGHHHH Mike! LOL Maybe I should just sell the Giftcard and get the components I need to get... I don't need much, just some my epoxy, thread finish, a tip top, and a reel seat... hmmm decisions, decisions...LOL

Comment

Did you get the grips from Billy yet? How did they turn out?

Sell that card and get that rod built.........

Comment

Yeah I have had them for a while... they look sweet!!! I don't want to do a foregrip, so I gotta see how I am gonna finish it... I have been reading about epoxy ramps, but I think that I will just do a trim ring...

You need a BPS giftcard?? LOL

Comment

Mike,
                          What's the spec on that 844? Would you know if that 844 is similar to the Trevala S?

I'm looking for a 6' to 6'6" rod. Strong and light, no more than 5 ounces. Good backbone with fast taper. For BC. Lure rated up to 1 1/2 - 2 ounces. Maybe I should build one, but I really don't want to get all the jigs and such just to build one or two rods.
                          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

here ya go ........

XMB844 TC 7'0" 1 12-20 lbs 1/4 - 1oz. 0.545 6.0 Fast H 2.75oz. jig & pig / pitching plastics in and around heavy cover $148.00

844 are great for casting BA's and jigs ......... 854 are for a little heavier .......

Comment

Thanks, Rick.

Looks like it may do the trick, but will have to actually see it. Hmmm.... at $148...it may be better to just buy a Trevala S at $170.
                              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                              X