eastern shore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eastern shore

anyone on here fish the southern eastern shore? mayybe somerset county? what kind of fish can you catch and what to use? thinkin bout going around early summer.

I'm thinking about a fishing trip down to the Ocean side near the Pocomoke City area...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

The opportunities on the eastern shore are limitless. You kind of have to narrow it down for what wanna do. Ocean, back bays, Chesapeake bay, brackish rivers, fresh ponds. Each one has many different species, and many different tactics. Rockfish, Bluefish, Tautog, Flounder, Croaker, Weakfish, White Perch, LMB, Crappie, Bluegill, Catfish....list goes on. Pick a location and a species and Ill try to help you out.
      -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
      -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Stockton, MD for flounder?? George Island landing? Is there a launch there open to launch a kayak? I would like to try this area as it looks deserted and lightly fished-
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-09-2012, 07:43 AM.

Comment

was thinking flounder , specks , stripers. maybe somewhere in the bay , not out in the traffic of boats. somewhere less traveled.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            Stockton, MD for flounder?? George Island landing? Is there a launch there open to launch a kayak? I would like to try this area as it looks deserted and lightly fished-
            Here's a list of ramps over there, George Is. is included.

http://www.beach-net.com/Boatramps.html

Comment

Ron-Ive never fished Stockton, after a little searching I found George Island Landing boat launch. It is an MD DNR facility, and from sat. looks very nice. You can launch from the ramp, and it looks like there is sand beach, but access may be limited. As for tactics I would use the same attack as usual, for me its a 1/2-2 oz bucktail/jighead tipped with a Gulp! swimming mullet (size varies w/ time of year) on the bottom, with a drop shot coming off about 18"s up from that with a circle hook on a 12-24" line. I put live minnow or spot with squid or fish belly strips on the circle hook. Bounce this rig on ledges, edges, flats, and other fish holding areas.

Susque- Flounder: can be had in most of the back bays pretty much all season (not always). You can fish the Isle of Wight bay which is behind OC around the route 90 bridge. If you want to avoid boat traffic avoid the inlet. The bays behind assateauge, near the OC ariport are very productive. You can take your pick of backwaters, I like Rons choice of Stockton and will probably join him on that expedition. I havent fished flounder in the Chesapeake in a while but I would use the same tactics as above^, we would just have to spend time to on water to find em, or do more research.
              Stripers: in the bay as you have probably read on the forum are caught around the bay bridge. But you can catch em all over the eastern shore. The mouth of the Choptank is popular, Eastern Bay, and the Tangier sound all have fish in them. Pick an area and start there. Casting to structure is always my favorite method. Weapon of choice is a bucktail with soft plastic. BOUNCE THE BOTTOM, pretty much always bounce the bottom when your fishign STRUCTURE in CURRENT, the down current side is the best. You can troll early season, in the summer you can cast the shore in the evening, or look for breaking schools. You can always fish bait, Bloodworms in the spring, Chunks of fish always work, Bunker (alewive,menhade=the same) is popular.

Specs I havent caught many of them. LOL

Hope you learn alot
              -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Originally posted by MDFishin View Post
                Ron-Ive never fished Stockton, after a little searching I found George Island Landing boat launch. It is an MD DNR facility, and from sat. looks very nice. You can launch from the ramp, and it looks like there is sand beach, but access may be limited. As for tactics I would use the same attack as usual, for me its a 1/2-2 oz bucktail/jighead tipped with a Gulp! swimming mullet (size varies w/ time of year) on the bottom, with a drop shot coming off about 18"s up from that with a circle hook on a 12-24" line. I put live minnow or spot with squid or fish belly strips on the circle hook. Bounce this rig on ledges, edges, flats, and other fish holding areas.

Susque- Flounder: can be had in most of the back bays pretty much all season (not always). You can fish the Isle of Wight bay which is behind OC around the route 90 bridge. If you want to avoid boat traffic avoid the inlet. The bays behind assateauge, near the OC ariport are very productive. You can take your pick of backwaters, I like Rons choice of Stockton and will probably join him on that expedition. I havent fished flounder in the Chesapeake in a while but I would use the same tactics as above^, we would just have to spend time to on water to find em, or do more research.
                Stripers: in the bay as you have probably read on the forum are caught around the bay bridge. But you can catch em all over the eastern shore. The mouth of the Choptank is popular, Eastern Bay, and the Tangier sound all have fish in them. Pick an area and start there. Casting to structure is always my favorite method. Weapon of choice is a bucktail with soft plastic. BOUNCE THE BOTTOM, pretty much always bounce the bottom when your fishign STRUCTURE in CURRENT, the down current side is the best. You can troll early season, in the summer you can cast the shore in the evening, or look for breaking schools. You can always fish bait, Bloodworms in the spring, Chunks of fish always work, Bunker (alewive,menhade=the same) is popular.

Specs I havent caught many of them. LOL

Hope you learn alot
                I have business travel to Maine Thursday and fly back Friday evening late on the 13th...yeah, I hate to fly on Friday the 13th, but what can you do...thinking about packing up Saturday morning early, and driving to Stockton. Says it is three hours and twenty minutes from my house (tolls on roads)...three fish limit 17 inch fish...long drive for just three fish, but what the heck? I have driven farther for a skunk...

Comment

Any reports that flounder is being caught? Or are you just checking it out, Ron?

How will the wind affect that area? Still doable on a yak?

I plan to go to CBBT this weekend, but if it's too windy, it's a no-go. I may then just join you. Sheesh, it's a long drive (almost four hrs) for me too
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Flounder are being caught from Quinby to Ocean City- no reason for them not to be in the sound in between these two locations, Tuf....and looking at a map, there are islands and sloughs to help with winds and weather.
                    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-09-2012, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Keep me updated Ron, Im still trying to decide where ill be fishing this weekend. I like the sound of Stockton flounder, so does my belly.
                      -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Been a long time since I have caught a citation flounder- best opportunity is right now- the spring run has the biggest flounder of the year appearing in the first waves- and why not Stockton? It is in the same inshore bays as all the big flounder sports fishing centers- just not as well known-

Comment

Ron, where is the launch in Stockton? I'm thinking of going down Friday to fish. I may stay overnight and see you on the water Saturday morning. Again, depending on wx.

Comment

Looking at the map, Tufnick it is on George Island Landing road- and it is a DNR facility- should be free- it is about five miles by water to the Virginia line in Chincoteague Bay- looks very fishy around the top of Mill Island- there is a 16 foot hole east of the point at Mill Island that should be a hot spot for big flounder.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                              Looking at the map, Tufnick it is on George Island Landing road- and it is a DNR facility- should be free- it is about five miles by water to the Virginia line in Chincoteague Bay- looks very fishy around the top of Mill Island- there is a 16 foot hole east of the point at Mill Island that should be a hot spot for big flounder.
                              If you're talking about the northern most tip of Mill Island, it looks like it's about four miles from the George Island Rd launch. Maybe we can try the closer southern end.

Comment

Working...
                              X