No announcement yet.

Aug 14 Meet & Greet - Gameplan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we gonna wait til a certain time to launch (like 6am or 6:30am) that way we can collect the tackle, meet n greet, etc? I think it would be cool to all go out together. If not... the plan is for everyone to come in around 11:30, correct?

Comment

Gettin' ready to turn in and checked messages. I called the Sun but they were already aware! A bit late but they might send someone. How cool is that?!?

Launch is at 6am...-ish. Everyone c'mon in (if you want) by 11:30 to determine the biggest fish, award the tackle, eat, drink and kibitz a while.

Everyone know what a kibitz is?

Comment

isnt it something you feed to dogs?

Comment

Woo!

It was awesome meeting everyone, thanks to John for the work and getting everyone together! I think Chuck is pretty thoroughly addicted to kayak fishing after his fish this morning, I'll post some pictures after I nap off my Lunch Booze... the sandwich WAS tasty ! I am just glad I wasn't driving.

TJ

Comment

no doubt pretty cool seeing all those kayaks all over the bridge pilings, pretty awesome! congrats to Chuck on his nice rock, need some pics. sorry i couldnt stick around for the M&G sounds like it was a lot of fun. hopefully next month my wife wont get operated on, or at least wait till after the M&G

Comment

Great Event and near perfect weather. Thanks John for coordinating the get together it was great to meet everyone. Congratulations to Chuck for the winning fish. Very nice rock for the summer.

My day was interesting to say the least.

1. Caught 10 spot in 20 Min's.

2. Bucket full of bait i paddled out to the first set of open double pylons in 18 ft of water.

3. Had three takes on the next set of pylons but could not get a hook in them.

4. In around 20 ft on a another double set of pylons fish on. I horsed it away form the structure and to the side of the boat immediately. I high stick-ed the rod in an attempt to pull the fish to the side of the boat to land (First mistake) I locked the drag on the reel as well. (second mistake). Well the still green fish (id guess around 27" to 28") decided to torpedo under the boat.

5. Oh Snap!

Well the rod is now a two piece.

And

The fish got away

At least the rod died a noble death. I have caught Tarpon on the same blank and never had any issues. That was one tough striper. Cough (High Stick) Cough (Locked Drag)

6. I spent the rest of the morning trying to set a hook on stripers with a very lite action casting rod to no avail. I could not get a hook in them.

7. After my last gummed to death spot was officially dead i switched to a lite jig and caught several small blues that were smashing bait between the bridge spans. They were very thick today.

Lolas was interesting. They must have been having a crisis in the kitchen . At least the beer was cold and the conversation was good.

I look forward to the next event.

Comment

what size hook were you guys using? i was using 6/0 c- hooks, and only had a couple takers and no eaters.

eastonkayaker said he had a ray sleigh ride half way to love point, yee haw.

hit a mini blitz between the bridges with small blues and some short rock under them.

lets get some suggestions together for next months M&G

Comment

Oh no! Sucks about that broken rod! I lost one in the drink today in the process of fighting a fish out of the pylons. I will start using rod leashes again I think... Heres pictures of Chuck's two big fish, wish I had broken out my camera more often, there's always next time though. Great day to be out and awesome to see that plastic armada. We were using 6/0 Circles with 1oz egg sinkers and a foot to two feet 25lb Fluro leader. I had a lot of Spot grabbed and killed without hook up before finding the larger fish. Only two lost to blues oddly, soon as I got away from the Pylons.

Last edited by tj06sti; 08-14-2010, 07:57 PM.

Comment

First, GREAT meeting everyone! We had an awesome turnout. I think 17 or 18. And as Mike said, the weather (I know we're not supposed to talk about it but it's after the fact ) was perfect. (Bummer about that rod! and the empty cooler! )

Congrats to Chuck for the pool winner. Nice fish. Talk about beginners luck! My first striper was 12" !!

Here goes the summary. Can't figure out how to add commentary in between pix so you'll just have to follow along!

Early start. Calm. Nice...
                    First wave of the plastic navy armada...
                    Gettin' out there!
                    Second wave... oh wait! That's not it!
                    Second wave of the Maryland Kayak Fishing armada!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Summary Part II

Still gettin' out there...
                      Got 'em surrounded!
                      Michael's (Redfish12) beast. Ugh!
                      Chuck's winner! Nice!!
                      Did someone say beer o'clock!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Summary Part III & Epilogue

Lunch and conversation was excellent! Did I mention it was GREAT meeting everyone!?!? BTW, I think the bar at Lola's had 20 seats. We took 17 of 'em! Good day on the water!

Looking forward to the next one. It seemed the consensus after today's trip was to head south and see about reds, flounder and speck's. Or maybe rock, blues and spanish mackeral. Or all of the above. I'm game!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Enjoyed meeting and fishing with everyone! Learned alot today and will hopefully be able to get even better results from it next time out Look forward to fishing with everyone again and and learning even more Good fishin

Chimo

Comment

It was great meeting everyone today and getting the chance to fish with so many other kayakers! I'm already looking forward to September's event!

We went back out after lunch and each found a few with the biggest being just over 30''. After hearing about Chuck's fish I knew there had to be some more out there... Thanks for the tip Chuck! I caught my 30" on one of the singles.

As far as I know, I think everyone caught some fish, which is pretty awesome for any venue. Success!
                            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Skate - heading north

Had a good fight with the skate, probably 20 minutes and another 10 minutes to recover. Couldn't get the lure back, Caught three blues, one rock, two perch and a skate on that same blue/silver kastmaster.
                              Attached Files

Comment

That is the infamous Cow Nose Ray.

Comment

Working...
                                X