No announcement yet.

Any word on Susky fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone put in at the parking area near the old mill in the Historic area? I have checked out the narrow walkway to the river, and seen some people putting in some smaller touring yaks, Just not sure how easy it is to drag a larger fishing yak up that path.

I might give it a shot tomorrow since it will get you closer to the dam on launch.
    Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Originally posted by susqeyaker View Post
      not true for the yakers, no water means rapids, rapids mean stripers can be caught. we dont like fishing there even if the tide is high because it takes out the rapids. the smallies like rapids also. take your yak and try it you will love it. just dont be on the river when they are running more than 2 small units. we are gona be there tomarow morning before daylight. maybe see you guys there.
      I'll have to give it a shot in the yak up there one of these days... I've never made it up that far. Good luck in the morning.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I don't understand. How can the yak overcome the rapids or do you just float down river?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

I would love to try fishing here, but looked at the river gauge last week or so and the gauge was doing 10' to 16' bounces two or three times a day and I backed up on it.

So I was looking for a more experienced guide before loosing my kayak and gear.
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

a yak can paddle up stream in any of the rapids i have been in as long as you dont hit the rocks that are making them. remember we dont go when its more than 2 small units . more than that and there isnt any rapids, just fast current. some guys go with up to 4 small units running.

Comment

Just be very kind to the fish when there is little current up there. Fish are easiest to catch and very easy to kill. THere is little oxygen in the water and the fish congregate behind these chutes (rapids) mainly to breathe easier. They are easy to catch, the fight is shorter and they are harder to revive. ...... used to wade and belly boat there all the time ........ catch a ton of small mouth and a bunch of stripers .... 100 fish was not unheard of .... crazy and dangerous fishing ........... each year someone would get a foot wedged in a crack and sometimes drown when the water comes up ........ or anchor and not cut the anchor line when the water came up ........

But if you go ......... just make sure you fully revive the fish and be very careful .........

The fishing I'm talking about is above the old pier piling islands and the islands by the dam. Below the pilings is usually of with the oxygen etc. ......... fish the chutes with blue back floating Rapalas

Comment

So, what is the closest spot to the dam that you can launch a kayak?
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

you can launch at the ramp pretty close to the dam maybe 200 yards. you are only allowed to go to the front of the big island. i remember when you use to be able to get to 100 feet from it. it looks really big when your that close.

Comment

Working...
                  X