I Finally Ate Toad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
    Reminds me of that show, "Shallow Hal"......maybe hypnosis will do the trick.....lol.....

Anyway, next up on the menu: snakehead and skate. I don't quite get snakeheads. People said it's ugly, it's creepy, it's frightening, it's........then all of a sudden, it's the rage.... and now people want to catch and eat them.
    It's the typical MD DNR reaction ........... back in the 80's I think ....... we kept telling the DNR biologists that stripers were reproducing in Liberty Reservoir because we kept catching small stripers ........ took them over 5 years to figure we were right ............ Zebra mussels were going to take over the world ......... 20 yrs later a couple were found in the susky below the dam and we still can't use our electric only boats in the Reservoirs if we use them other places ........ then they poisoned the pond because frakenfish would take over the world an crawl on land to eat your babies .......... come to find out ......... they fit right in and they are a delicacy ............ etc

Comment

come on guys you have to keep an open mind and mouth when it comes to seafood!! it must have been 1 hungry caveman to eat the first oyster!! i cant count how mant blow fish my old man and i threw back when i was a kid. then a guy showed us how to clean them to get the back meat out and we never threw 1 back again. they got really over fished after that and disapeared for many years but they are coming back. great fish no bones just good white meat. maybe the toad is the same way.
      Last edited by surfdog; 07-02-2012, 04:34 PM. Reason: never mind

Comment

My son likes fish too, so I left him a piece of toad yesterday. Turns out he had to go out to dinner with some friends, so I ate the leftover piece. A lot of leftover fish have a fishier taste the next day, and I expected that with the toad. Not so. The meat still had very good mild taste. I was surprised. So, I'd say it's on par or better tasting than striper. Maybe same as tog, but not as good as flounder.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

The seafood marketing industry has shown some creativity in renaming fish species that have unappealing names. Take for example the high-priced and tasty restaurant fish Chilean sea bass. The true name for that species is the Patagonian toothfish. The fish is big and fierce looking -- not a likely candidate for timid restaurant patrons. Here is a photo of the toothfish.

Attached Files
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Another ugly fish is the Monkfish. Its about as pretty as a toadfish.........in a more pre-historic way.

Comment

Slimehead was renamed Orange Roughy for the exact same reasons.
              Don Haller
              Chesapeake Beach, MD
              Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
              – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
                Another ugly fish is the Monkfish. Its about as pretty as a toadfish.........in a more pre-historic way.
                I heard they're tasty like lobster. That's why it's called, "poor man's lobster."

Maybe toadfish should be called.....ah.....er......how about "chocolate sea bass?".....lol...... And it'll be..."poor man's striper....or tog....or perch....or...."
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  The seafood marketing industry has shown some creativity in renaming fish species that have unappealing names. Take for example the high-priced and tasty restaurant fish Chilean sea bass. The true name for that species is the Patagonian toothfish. The fish is big and fierce looking -- not a likely candidate for timid restaurant patrons. Here is a photo of the toothfish.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3746[/ATTACH]
                  I Knew my Ex had a twin, she had a bigger tooth though.

Comment

When I stayed in Wachapreague last summer, the local restaurant (Wachapreague Inn) offered a Sunday night special of "swelling toad platter". I tried it, and enjoyed the flavor. The platter included about 7 small toadfish that had been skinned and gutted (probably in the same manner as shown in the video linked to Tufnik's original post), dipped in batter, then deep fried. Each one looked and tasted a lot like a fried chicken drumstick (I picked them up by the backbone and started eating away). I got tired of eating around the backbone by the 6th and 7th one. Just like a lot of other white meats, the toadfish prepared this way tasted much like chicken.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

My rule of thumb is: "If it looks like a fish, eat all you wish. If it looks like a toad, hit the road!"
                      Hobie PA 12

Comment

That's it. The next couple of big toads are going to pay for taking my bait. Now I just gotta work on getting on the water.

Comment

I'll save all mine for you...
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

jebus, i go on vacation, come back and you guys are eating toadfish?!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X