2012 CBKA Tournament Recap....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 CBKA Tournament Recap....

All of us at CBKA would like to thank everyone who participated and also those who helped out with this year's CBKA Tournament. Here is just a brief recap... I will defer to others to provide more details, but to say the least, we more than doubled the number of kayak anglers participating in event. This event is for charity and with all the participant's help, we raised more than double the amount of financial contributions to our Charities, The Make A Wish Foundation and the CCA. We had a representative from the Make A Wish Foundation speak at our event along with an appareance and speech from Shawn Kimbro. The raffle this year was a big draw with the help of all of our sponsors. We had a special raflle to raffle off a Hobie Revolution 11 kayak donated by Backyard Boats in Annapolis. Fishing was better than last year, but mother nature threw in a weather front that brought increasing winds and choppy waters on the bay for Saturday. Many Anglers launched on the eastern side of Kent Island, lookig for calmer waters. We still had 14 brave Anglers who launched from Camp Wight on the Bay. It was surprisingly not too choppy early in the morning, but by 10am the winds were up to 15 mph, and it would reach 25 miles per hour in the early afternoon. We were all treated to a serios storm that came across the bay and passed over Camp Wright while the dinner was being setup. The dinner started and the award ceremony followed along with the raffle culminating with the raffle award of Backyard Boat's Hobie Revolution 11 Kayak. We even hand out the award for the first ever crabbing division, with the winner catching a massive crab. It was a good time, and everyone seemed to have a great time.... until next year!
    Attached Files

Another great event! Great to have one so close and it really has picked up interest. Thanks to CBKA for all the time and effort getting this together. If any one has never been involved in setting something like this up they have no idea all the time and effort to do so. Thanks again.

Harry

Comment

Great tournament guys and gals - had a blast. Looking forward to making the trek up from Richmond, VA again next year already!!
      Hobie Fishing Team - Central VA Local Pro
      PowerTeam Lures
      Froggin' For Bass and Other Kayak Adventures - a blog about my life in a kayak to date

Comment

Crab trap found

Does anyone know who (Shane or Kevin?) was crabbing just off the Camp Wright Launch? I had my dog at the Matapeake dog beach today and I saw a lone pool noodle crab float about 100 yards off the beach. I went out and retrieved the crab trap and have it if the owner wants to claim it.
        Hobie PA 12

Comment

Originally posted by Aesiegel View Post
          Does anyone know who (Shane or Kevin?) was crabbing just off the Camp Wright Launch? I had my dog at the Matapeake dog beach today and I saw a lone pool noodle crab float about 100 yards off the beach. I went out and retrieved the crab trap and have it if the owner wants to claim it.
          I don't think Shane was crabbing off of Camp Wright, but not sure about the others

http://thehobielife.blogspot.com/201...t-wrap-up.html
          Last edited by CB kayak 02; 09-10-2012, 09:47 AM.

Comment

It sounds like it was a lot of fun, if a bit sporty. We had some howling winds at my folks' place in NoVA, so I was wondering how you guys were doing out there.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I was crabbing off of Camp Wright Launch with my friend Rob. Pretty sure it's his trap. Aesiegel, I sent you a private message. Thanks for picking up the trap!
              -Kevin

Comment

Forgot congratulations to Redfish 12 on winning most of the drawings. He should have all new equipment for his next outing.

Comment

Just keep an eye on the Tackle Shop board for some good deals!

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                  Forgot congratulations to Redfish 12 on winning most of the drawings. He should have all new equipment for his next outing.
                  Hobie PA 12

Comment

Is that how he became a gear junkie; he met Sam?

Seriously, the tournament was a great event.
                    Last edited by DOGFISH; 09-10-2012, 03:29 PM.

Comment

had a great time and glad the weather held till everyone was in! great meeting some new faces and talking with some older acquaintances.
                      sorry Don i didn't recognize you in your summer fishing clothes(;
                      Last edited by surfdog; 09-10-2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I had a blast. Thanks to all of you that help put this on again.
                        2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                        2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Now that was a meet and greet! Thanks to everyone that came out. Overall, things went as well as we could have hoped. If it weren't for the windy conditions it would have been perfect!

We had 69 registrations, more than double from a year ago!! We raised over $1600 for Make-a-Wish! A lot of positive comments and looking forward to next year.

The raffle raised an additional $3500! There are bills to pay so I don't yet know how much will go to CCA MD. The weather held off just long enough to allow for fishing. That storm sure was impressive! But everyone was off the water, everything was secure and we were inside and safe.

Alot of fish were caught but not many big ones. Some unusual species for our neck of the woods, though. It was cool to see a speckled trout and puppy drum up this far.

The raffle for a Hobie kayak donated by Backyard Boats of Annapolis was a big success. The coolest part about that is that the winner didn't even own a kayak!. He had borrowed a friends kayak so he could fish the tournament!

Really, really appreciate everyone's support! We couldn't have done it without the tremendous support of local and online businesses and, most importantly, YOU GUYS! Looking forward to next year! Thank you!!

Regards, John

Here are the results:

Striped Bass Divsion - Sponsored by Easton Cycle & Sport
                          1st- Richard Souder 24" - $300 gift certificate
                          2nd- Russ Hewitt 21 1/8" - $200 gift certificate
                          3rd- Chuck Chambers 16 3/4" - $100 gift certificate

Perch Division - Sponsored by All Tackle
                          1st - Jonas Williams 13" - $100 gift certificate
                          2nd - Tom Beach 12" - $75 gift certificate
                          3rd - Ryan Altenburg 11 3/4" - $50 gift certificate

Blue Crab Division - Sponsored by The Crab Deck Restaurant on Kent Island
                          1st - Shane Clift 7 1/2" - $100 gift certificate
                          2nd - Kevin Corbin 6" - $50 gift certificate
                          3rd - Tom Brown 5 3/4" - $25 gift certificate

Largest Bluefish - Sponsored by Paddlehouse Outfitters
                          Matt Baden 12" - $100 gift certificate

Female Angler Largest Fish - Sponsored by Appomatox River Company
                          Pam Birch 10+" perch - $100 gift certificate

Most Species - Sponsored by Hook1
                          Tyler Sondberg (Striped Bass, Perch, Spot, Croaker, Speckled Trout) - $50 gift certificate

Comment

Working...
                          X