Jonas Green Wednesday 9/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas Green Wednesday 9/19

I'm planning to take my first trip south and fish the Severn from Jonas Green on Wednesday. Hoping to arrive between 1400-1500hrs. I have jigs w/spinners and grubs, bass assasin plastic and heavier jig heads, rattle trap, shad raps etc. I'll be throwing everything i got at em. Any suggestions for live bait and where to get it along the way down from Pa if all else fails?
    Hobie Outback

Ken Smith

I wish I could join you. Right now the weather is looking good for Wednesday. The tide will start to come in when you arrive. It looks like you are covered for Perch and Stripers with your artificial setups. There isn't any bait shops that I know of that are convenient around Jonas Green. The main ones around that area are Marty's in Mayo and Anglers just before the bay bridge. I googled and I found a marina close to Jonas that claims to offer live bait including spot. I would call them before going there to make sure they have what you are looking for. Since you are driving such a long way you probably don't want to waste time. Good luck. I hope you catch a ton of fish!

Here is the marina I found that is close by (I have never been there):
    http://www.ljmarina.com/
    <MIKE>
    Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
    Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

Assuming that you will be coming down 83 S to 695 W from PA, Cyde's Sport Shop would be sort of on your way to Jonas Green. Clyde's is not far off of 695 in Halethorpe, MD. This is where I go to buy bait, when I use bait... They have just about anything that you might want for bait and sell BKDs too...

http://home.comcast.net/~clydessportshop/home.html
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Ken, you can't beat bloodworms for "live" bait. I do like the Gulp bloodworm and Fish Bites too. The closest bait shop to Jonas Green is Anglers, http://goo.gl/maps/5y95k. Although there are several 7-11s and similar convenience stores in the area that sell blood worms.

I may see you out there on Wed. I'll be out there earlier and have to head in by 15:30 or so.
        Hobie PA 12

Comment

those artificial are all your gona need.. stick to the piers, throw the spinner.. 1/8 under peirs and rocky short line, and 1/4 ounce in deeper water like 6-7 feet.. jig the salt water assians ive had great success with that. and troll the rattle traps around the channel.. this is exactly what i do each time out here and leave every trip with well over 100 fish.

good luck
          Zach Moore
          Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
          Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
          Bait Towel Pro Staff
          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
            those artificial are all your gona need.. stick to the piers, throw the spinner.. 1/8 under peirs and rocky short line, and 1/4 ounce in deeper water like 6-7 feet.. jig the salt water assians ive had great success with that. and troll the rattle traps around the channel.. this is exactly what i do each time out here and leave every trip with well over 100 fish.

good luck
            This is an awesome site. Thanks Guys. I'll post my results. I'm not a great fisherman so anything other than a skunk is success for me. Heck I just enjoy cruising around in my Hobbie. It will be nice to see areas I fished in the 70's as a kid. I remember using peelers to catch perch along a pier inside the Naval Academy near where they had the little sail boats docked. I don't think we were suppose to be there, but we never got run off. I'm sure 9-11 changed all that.
            Hobie Outback

Ken Smith

Comment

this being said... this has worked in the warmer weather.. with todays storm thats going to hit. and the temp going into the 50s.. i cant promise you perch are going to stick the shore lines. so live bait is never a bad option.. but you can jus jig small silver spoons at a 1./8 oz n get them as well.. i havent used live bait in prolly 10 years..

a theory i was told at work ( bass pro ) by one of our pro anglers, fish are aggressive, and like things they do not eat. certain days they will over bite on artificial because they dont eat something like that everyday, a just like a person, we like diff meals all the time, the same thing everyday gets old and boring.

Now obviously some days live bait is the ticket, the smell, that same bait they know the fish are going to hit it. but for the time being. save your money from bait u may only use half of. and just stick with artificial.
              Zach Moore
              Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
              Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
              Bait Towel Pro Staff
              2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
              YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by smif42 View Post
                This is an awesome site. Thanks Guys. I'll post my results. I'm not a great fisherman so anything other than a skunk is success for me. Heck I just enjoy cruising around in my Hobbie. It will be nice to see areas I fished in the 70's as a kid. I remember using peelers to catch perch along a pier inside the Naval Academy near where they had the little sail boats docked. I don't think we were suppose to be there, but we never got run off. I'm sure 9-11 changed all that.
                In terms of live bait, it cannot hurt to have a peeler crab. When the rocks are in, they love the peelers. I was there a few weeks ago and dropped some peelers down in 30 feet of water and bounced the bait up a slope and had a double hitter of rockfish. One was 17.5 inches and the other was 19.5 inches. I made another pass and landed another one just over 21.5 inches. Last week I was getting double hitter 10.5 inch perch. So I would always hold at least one peeler when the fish light up your fish finder in the deep.

Comment

Also you cannot go wrong with METAL this time of year. There is hard bottom all over the severn and bridge and dock pilings galore. All of them hold lots of fish.

All i bring to the severn is kastmasters, sting silvers and silver buddies and it never lets me down.

I love the action of vertical jigging for fish.

Meadeo
                  2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

I was there last week and as Meadeo says, the metal was magic. small Kastmaster and small Tony spoon were the ticket. I lost a lot of soft plastic and Gulp to the snapper blues too!
                    Hobie PA 12

Comment

Originally posted by smif42 View Post
                      I'm planning to take my first trip south and fish the Severn from Jonas Green on Wednesday. Hoping to arrive between 1400-1500hrs. I have jigs w/spinners and grubs, bass assasin plastic and heavier jig heads, rattle trap, shad raps etc. I'll be throwing everything i got at em. Any suggestions for live bait and where to get it along the way down from Pa if all else fails?
                      Ken,

I may try to join you for awhile depending on weather and work schedule if you don't mind. Right now, the work schedule is looking open (not necessarily good news, but at least I can fish). I've been looking for an excuse to get down to Jonas. Lately my lures of choice have been jig heads with twister tails - yellow, white, and rootbeer. Yesterday morning the magic bait was an Xrap in olive green.

If you're interested, PM me.

Doug
                      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Doug and Ken,
                        I'll be launching around 10:00 - 10:30. I'll post some intel when I can.

Ed
                        Hobie PA 12

Comment

I have a contractor coming to the house at 10:30 on Wed. He will be here for several hours. I may try to get out on the Severn after that.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Aesiegel View Post
                            Doug and Ken,
                            I'll be launching around 10:00 - 10:30. I'll post some intel when I can.

Ed
                            Thanks, Ed. You launching from Jonas or someplace in Arnold? I may get anxious and head down to Jonas closer to noon. We'll see how the day goes...
                            LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I'll be launching from Jonas.

John, are you planning on Tucker St. or Jonas if you make it out?
                              Hobie PA 12

Comment

Working...
                              X