Question - Best way to spool superbraided line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bignose View Post
    With my ultra lights, they only hold 40-50 yards 15 lb. braid, the equivalent of of 6-8 lb. mono, so with a mono backing it is possible on a long cast to hit the attaching double uni knot.

This way as the season goes on, I'll just keep cutting back on the line instead of having to re-spool mid season.
    What you wrote is what I had experienced. I want to keep cutting back on the line instead of replacing the whole line

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      I used to fill an entire spinning reel spool with braided line. On several occasions I observed the entire mass of line sliding around the spool. I kept cranking the handle but could not gain any ground -- no line was moving in at all. I had to let most of the line out and rewind it making tighter internal wraps this time.
      Me to the first time I spooled with Fireline. That stuff is sure slippery!!! Now I first put on about 50 feet of 20# mono then tie the Fireline to the mono with a double uni, then fill up the spool with Fireline to desired level. To be sure the Fireline is on tight enough, I tie the end of the Fireline to a tree and walk off the entire spool then wind it back on like I'm fighting a big fish. When I finally get back to the tree the Fireline is on nice and tight.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I too have had the dreaded slipping braid syndrome. I found a type of insulating rubber electrical tape that has no adhesive. It sticks to itself and makes a great backing for spooling braid.
        Hobie PA 12

Comment

Rescue tape may also be a good alternative to electrical tape. It binds onto itself without adhesive. It is sort of like rigging tape. I have not had a problem with electrical tape or vinyl tape becomming sticky. When I have taken off the old braid, the tape has been in good shape. However, the rescue tape may be a good substitute. I have used the Rescue tape as tool handle wrap. It is a good product, with alot of uses.

Comment

Joe,

You have received some good advice. I use mono (15-20lb) as backing and then tie in my braid with a blood or double uni knot. A good knot will slide right through most guides(micro guides excluded). After a season or two, I de-spool the braid and turn it around and re-spool the reel. Just like new.

I am hitting Anna tomorrow using my boat.....

Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
              Rescue tape may also be a good alternative to electrical tape. It binds onto itself without adhesive. It is sort of like rigging tape. I have not had a problem with electrical tape or vinyl tape becomming sticky. When I have taken off the old braid, the tape has been in good shape. However, the rescue tape may be a good substitute. I have used the Rescue tape as tool handle wrap. It is a good product, with alot of uses.
              That's also why I like the hockey tape... it's not really sticky, it kinda stretches onto itself. Avet recommends that when using braid that you use the tape versus mono backing... you can read about it here: http://www.avetreels.net/BRAIDED_LINE_PRECAUTIONS.php

Comment

I have always used 12lb-20lb mono as backing and then connected with a double uni. For spinners and baitcasters I only use a small amount of mono but for the bigger reels I'll use a lot more. I like the faster retrieve a full spool gives me for the larger conventional reels. Did you find a smaller baitcaster? I'm back from work travel, but probably not fishing anytime soon!
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

On some of my reels there is a through hole on the spindle that I tie the braid directly to the spool- it is firmly anchored and no way it can possible slip- the main thing for anyone to remember is hard pack the line on a reel- back in the day when I was a dedicated heavy-duty sharker using all high speed aluminum spool Penn Senator 9/0 reels loaded with 80 pound Courtland Greenspot dacron on custom built 5'6" standup 80 pound class Tuna rods, you learn to pack the line under as much pressure as you can to keep the line from cutting down into the center of the reel under thirty pounds of drag (measured with a hand scale) with a 573 pound Mako burning 300 yards off the reel in a ten second run...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Ernie,
                    Yes, I did receive great advice. Here is my plan:

First, spool it with the braided only by using rescue or vinyl tape. (I will buy rescue tape for sure)

Once the line becomes short, de-spool the braid and turn it around and re-spool the reel (This will save money).

When I reuse the short braid, I use the thin mono as backing to make the knot as small as possible. For example, use 6-8# test mono instead of 12-15# mono as backing for the 12-20# test braid.

BTW, I will hit Lake Anna on Sunday or Tuesday. I probably launch from Hunter Landing (Lake View Restaurant) to explore the northern upper lake. Or pending the reports, I possibly launch from the state Park to hit the west of the split

Joe
                    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I always use a thin layer of mono on all reels with braid. Just enough to cover the spool in 1 layer of mono. Keep in mind if you have 200 yrds of 20# braid and 50 yrds of 6# mono you better make sure that connection knot from the braid to mono never leaves the spool. If you get a big fish on and you cant turn it be mind-full of now much braid you have on the spool. With that light of a backing once that knot leaves the spool you are probably also saying good by to 200 yrds of braid.

Comment

I bought two reels from Marty's Tackle Shop this morning. They spooled them for me while I waited. They added a layer of 8-lb mono directly to the spool -- enough wraps to cover the metal one strand thick. Then they filled the rest of the spool with braided line. I asked for 20-lb Powerpro. It seems that tackle shops use an approach similar to what was described previously.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I do my the same as I would with mono. on a stationary spool, spinning rod, I take it off the spool counterclockwise. On a rotating spool, such as my Penn, I take it off the spool clockwise. Some anglers use mono as a base to take up space. Might be a good idea at the price of spiderwire.

Hobie 14 Pro Angler Canary Yellow.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day
                          Teach a boy to fish and he'll grow up to be a man
                          and sit in his kayak all day and drink beer.
                          Fishin Bob
                          Hobie Pro Angler 14
                          Carolina Skiff 18JVX

Comment

Working...
                          X