Fishing Goals 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Goals 2013

Every year I try to set out a few goals for the upcoming season (http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ighlight=Goals & http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ighlight=Goals)

This year I am continuing my quest for a 30" rockfish on the fly with a few others:

- Catch a CBBT sheepshead
    - Catch a tog over 22"
    - Catch a redfish over 18" on the western shore
    - 30"+ Snakehead
    - Break 100 participants for the Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers Tournament
    - Spend more time taking new anglers out
    - build first rod

Also I would like to continue my streak of a fish every month. So far since we started keeping track I have had at least one fish every month! (http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ighlight=Goals I started this thread but didnt keep up with it)

How about you guys?
    Last edited by Redfish12; 01-07-2013, 10:22 PM.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

- Citation Tog
    - Citation Flounder
    - Slot Red
    - Snakehead
    - 5lb+ Lunker

Comment

At least one yak trip per week. It would be truly the ultimate to also catch a fish every week, but these cold weather trips do produce a few skunks.

Try at least ten spots I have not previously fished.

First Snakehead

30'+ Striper

I got to know at least 10 really great people on MKF who I now consider good friends. I would like to add at least that many this year.

Win first place at the Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers Tournament next year. (won second this year)

Comment

Since I'm so new to the kayak fishing world (and fishing in general) my goals are more basic:
        I'd like to catch one species of every type of fish in our waters from my kayak. So far I've only caught:
        -small striper (would like to catch my first keeper)
        -pickerel
        -sun fish
        -crappie

I'd also like to attend the CBKA tournament as well as fish all the great spots that folks have been talking about in the area.

I have come to understand that kayak fishermen are amongst the most genuine fellows a person could get to know and I've been lucky enough to meet a few great individuals. I look forward to meeting so many more this year.
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

2013 goals: To just catch more fish than I caught in 2012. Just keeping it fun.

Comment

Me....want.....big.....feesh.....you know.......rippin' spool.....bent pole........sleigh ride........
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Goals 2013
              #1 Keeper flounder in bay
              #2 26"+ Rockfish
              #3 BIG day of blue cats with my Son....
              #4 Overnight camping on lower Hoopers Island, preferably with my fish of choice.....trout.
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I want to flounder fish more near thomas point. We caught a few keepers near thomas point in the summer but that was september. I want to target them in may. That's my goal

Comment

My Goals...
                  Broaden my horizons a bit. Got a yak wet in Key west, Jamaica Bay, and California last year and I will/want to add Massachusetts, Maine, Hawaii, The Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel and maybe hit Florida again.

Like the locations, I want to catch a few new species from the yak. Tog, Snook, a Tarpon, Northern Pike / Muskie, Cod, Steelhead, Sheephead, and land a 35+ inch Snakehead, 40lb+ blue cat and new PB striper (40 inches +).

Kinda ambitious but I'll have fun trying

Comment

Beat Slappy.
                    30'' Trout
                    15+'' Spade
                    44" Bass
                    Over Slot Drum
                    Actually make it to the Albie Hole (darn you sandy!)
                    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

New to this form first.Catch more fish'fish more spots,meet new yakers and keep being safety.
                      2012 hobie outback
                      2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Pretty basic goals- maintain my health so I can fish- I'll turn 67 this spring- noticed that getting old isn't for sissies- more joint stiffness, lots of aches in the knees, hands and shoulders- so staying active and going are as important as catching to me- if I never caught another fish, guys...well, it would just sound like the biggest fish tale you ever heard so I'll just let it go unsaid-

I have had a chance to re-think 2013 goals since first posting- I do have a couple other than just going- one is to really and truly learn to use my new toy, the Elite 5 DSI. From everything I have read in the customer reviews, you really have to learn how to use this unit to make it work like it was designed- fishing shallow water, you have to be in a different mode- shallow, the settings are different,etc. or you will get a lot of surface noise on screen- from all the bad reviews I have taken that the users wanted an automatic fish finder that they just turned on and it did everything w/o any direction- from the five star reviews I have taken that the user is an old time Lowarnce user familiar with the different menu options and able to make adjustments as the conditions change- so all this tells me is that this is an advanced unit requiring an experienced operator to use properly- and like any of the other DSI units, the fish finding feature is not as apparent as the non DSI units- this is primarily a structure finding feature- in an advanced combo chart plotter/gps- as is described as a poor man's structure scan.
                        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-27-2012, 07:40 AM.
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'm headed back for more college so I'm not sure how that will affect my fishing time, most likely deflate it some but overall I want to continue to help grow the sport with more opportunities for fishing in our area....

1. Most importantly for me this year is to launch/host my new Mid-Atlantic Kayak Bass Fishing Series (April-July) and to repeat one of Redfish's goals get over 100 participants at the CBKA Tournament.

2. Make it up to the flats this year (MSSA is trying to add a kayak division with big prizes to there tournament the 1st week in May)

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                            Beat Slappy.
                            30'' Trout
                            15+'' Spade
                            44" Bass
                            Over Slot Drum
                            Actually make it to the Albie Hole (darn you sandy!)
                            BEAT SLAPPY ............ not even gonna ask

Comment

1. Figure out how to use a bait caster.
                              2. Use the bait caster to catch snakeheads and tidal largemouths at Mattawoman and Mallows.
                              3. Focus on my 3 favorite areas of the Upper Potomac for smallmouth bass.
                              4. Catch another freshwater striper from Triadelphia Reservoir.

Comment

Working...
                              X