No announcement yet.

GoPro 3 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still have one GoPro 2 available if anyone is interested. I will bring it to the M&G. I also have some GoPro2 accessories to sell if anyone is interested, will be at M&G.

Comment

With my limited experience with the GoPro 2 (new this year for me), the biggest battery issue is with the WiFi Remote wristband controller. The camera with the WiFi receiver attached have been left on for three plus hours, however, if you keep everything powered so you are filming with a push of a button, the battery in the wristband will die after around 45 min. I have been very please with the quality of the images, and the GoPro 3 should be even better.

Comment

The good thing about the GoPro3 black is you can actually turn off the camera remotely when you're not shooting, so you can conserve battery power. It must still use some battery power even when off though, since it has to listen for the remote signal. In any case, you'll definitely want the battery backpack to double your time.

The bummer is that the rechargeable remote controller battery dies pretty quickly. I haven't tried controlling it from the iPhone yet... don't wanna be pulling it out every time i want to start the camera anyway.

What we really need is an easy way to connect the camera to our FishFinder 12v batteries. (check this out from Mytmouse: http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...8290#post48290)
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by russ498 View Post
          I am thinking about buying this camera. If you leave the video running continuously instead of trying to turn it off and on when you have a fish online, how long will it run? I know that it is dependent on the card size. What I am looking for is the normal card size that people use and the amount of video time available for that card.
          One option you can go with is a product from Yak Attack kayak products http://www.yakattack.us/Products/PanFish.html If you mount your camera on the Panfish pole and attach the pole to a 1inch ball mount you can reach back and bend the pole down and shut your gopro off, or one of the features with the GoPro is that you can adjust the time that the camera is on idle(not filming) you can have the camera cut itself off after five minutes of Idle time. Go to Youtube and search gopro hero and there are som great info on the camera.

Comment

FWIW, here's what the GoPro App looks like.

Pretty cool. You can On/Off, Record, and change all the settings (FPS, resolution, shooting mode, etc...), monitor batter time and disk space. The preview is nice too... no need to guess if I'm actually in the picture anymore.

All this coolness comes at a price I'm sure... powering its own WiFi hotspot must use a LOT of battery power.
            Attached Files
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback

Comment

I am planning to buy Gopro 3 Silver Edition + the LCD screen and + extra battery. I am planning to catch underwater scenes when fish are on if the water clarity is good. I am working on details to implement this. Tautog is my first target.

joe
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-09-2013, 05:18 AM.
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                I am planning to buy Gopro 3 Silver Edition + the LCD screen and + extra battery. I am planning to catch underwater scenes when fish are on if the water clarity is good. I am working on details to implement this. Tautog is my first target.

joe
                Can't wait to see it... makes me wonder if the WiFi signal of the black edition can make it out of the water... with the live preview on the iphone, you could drop it down and look around!
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                  Can't wait to see it... makes me wonder if the WiFi signal of the black edition can make it out of the water... with the live preview on the iphone, you could drop it down and look around!
                  The details as of now

Well the camera will be hand-held. The waves, current, turning kayak, and the fish in life-or-death situation won't make the mounted camera work, no way. I have two scenarios:

Scenario 1 - Fishing with Redfish12 (easy one)
                  1. I will be ready to jump in - wearing fins and weight belt
                  2. Once he hooks a fish, I signal him slow down. Ask him not bring up the fish too fast. Keep the fish in the water
                  3. Get the camera ready (video started), wear snorkel, and jump in
                  4. after the underwater video (30 seconds), I signal him land the fish very slowly so that I can capture the whole scene from the water to the kayak. The video stops after he finishes posing with the catch

Scenario 2 - When I am alone (two possibilities)

Possibility A: use a telescopic pole - Mount the camera on a telescopic pole. Somehow, I fight the fish and take underwater video while sitting on the kayak
                  Possibility B: Leave the rod in the rod holder, and jump in

Joe
                  Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-09-2013, 03:03 PM.
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Haha Joe I will be happy to help! I was considering getting one as well to drop down on a line and look around at structure. After hearing about what you guys saw in DE last year it really had me thinking about how many tog are down there that I am missing.
                    Used to fish more.

Comment

Redfish12,
                      I kept passing one of UPS store on the way home. I am supposed to return the new Olympus Stylus to Amazon before I buy a Gopro. I cooked good dinners for three days in a row for her and she knows I am not returning the new one... And she also knows I am getting a GoPro somehow in the near future. I love her especially when she pretends she doesn't know what I am up to...

I probably buy a used GoPro 2. I don't think I need touch screen capability (10' water resistance). All I need is the view screen and 100’ water resistance
                      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-10-2013, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X