No announcement yet.

November Meet & Greet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here this clip gives a better view of how the mouth of the river opens up just past the last marker. Notice to the lower/left is the where the Rhode River and the West River come out to the bay.

As I said it will be quite a challenge for anyone to cover the area in one day. For the strong paddler, you could go out to Thomas Point or towards the West River. As I stated, I usually fish somewhere in the area of the 4 and 6 markers. That is not to say that around the number 8 marker is bad. I have caught fish there also. Even for those who are not strong paddlers there is good fishing water. I am 58 years old and can paddle most to the area on different occasions, even when not using an electric.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 10-28-2010, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Meet and greet

Ok, good news. When I went fishing today, I ran into two members of the piers and harbor committee at the marina, while launching. They said there was a board meeting tonight and they would bring up the forum launching at the marina on November 13. They said it sounded like a good idea to them. I also left a note at the house of the community president. He called and talked to my wife and said it didn't sound bad to him. He said he would call me tomorrow. Looks like the South River might be a go. Given the fishing today, as I made a report on another thread, this may be a good choice.

If the South River is the choice, the Boat Yard Bar and Grill or Davis Pub would be good choices for after fishing. Some may want to give this some thought. If we go the the Boat Yard Bar and Grill, we could put in a word to add a kayak fishing category to their spring tournament. The Boat Yard is a bar and restaurant. Davis' is smaller and is more of a pub. Both have good food and adult beverages

Comment

Thanks for working to get this event off the ground at this location. I love to fish new water and have been eying that area. Great work...

Comment

Do many of the kayakers on the forum use handheld VHF radios, or do most use phones? I have always carried a VHF for safety. However, this would be a good way to communicate if some find fish.

A word to the wise, if you do use the radios to communicate fishy water. Don't mention your actual location by name, such as Thomas Point, or you may have alot of company in brisk fashion. Regardless of where the meet is at, I was curious about this subject.

PS: Thanks, no problem. Should be alot of fun.

Comment

A VHF is my last major purchase i need to collect the whole set (and maybe a dry top). I have been looking at them for some time now. What kind are you using?

Comment

I use a Standard Horizon 851. The GPS in really not needed. However, the distress call feature is nice. Standard Horizon makes nice electronics.

Yeah, you have quite the set up now.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                Do many of the kayakers on the forum use handheld VHF radios, or do most use phones?
                I think most use cell phones. I created a "wallet card" with several of the guys' contact info. On the back it also lists MD DNR, VA & DC Marine Police, etc. One of thoughts was as a phone tree during M&G's. If you run in to some fish call the guy below you. He calls the guy below him, etc, etc.

A word to the wise, if you do use the radios to communicate fishy water. Don't mention your actual location by name, such as Thomas Point, or you may have alot of company in brisk fashion.
                Ditto! In my boating days up north there was a code system between friends. Reporting good catching at a place like Thomas Point might go something like, "Hey Charlie, got some TP for your head that you need!"

So many boats and not enough fish!

Comment

Looks like the South River might be a go...
                  Excellent news!! I think this would be an excellent choice.

Some may want to give this some thought. If we go the the Boat Yard Bar and Grill, we could put in a word to add a kayak fishing category to their spring tournament. The Boat Yard is a bar and restaurant. Davis' is smaller and is more of a pub. Both have good food and adult beverages
                  I like the idea of possibly adding a kayak category to the Boat Yard Bar and Grill sponsors of a spring fishing tournament. Another reason to fish and to get a kayak group together. That gets my vote.

John

Comment

Thanks for all the groundwork, DOGFISH. Do you know how deep those lures dive? 12-15ft? I want to make sure I'm properly prepared.

Regarding radios, I have a Standard Horizons HX750s that I really like. I answered a radio check who was at least 1.5 miles away and around a point (I couldn't see him), and we heard each other perfectly. I'm not sure if you can hope for more than that with a handheld so close to the water.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Good news, the community association has no problem with our meeting at the marina. What time does the group normally start fishing. There is an electronic gate to the marina. If the group meets early, I can get a key card for the gate and let people in until the timer opens the gate for the day. That is no problem for me. I will get the addresses on either side of the entrance, its just a driveway type entrance between two houses. So people can mapquest the addresses or use a vehicle type GPS. If there is anything else let me know. The fishing is good.

The crankbaits that I use mostly, at least the Rapalas, are labeled as running 7-15 feet, depending on speed mostly. Mine run about 12', based on my scientific approach of going from deep to shallow until I see the rod tip start to move. In the river the 15' type deep diver is about right. In the deeper bay I use deeper divers. The river is good fishing this time of year. Don't forget at least some rattle trap type lures, as I discovered yesterday, sometimes the fish are shallow.

Good luck.
                      Last edited by DOGFISH; 10-29-2010, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Sweet. Do you think the fishing is better in the morning or evening?
                        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I fish mostly in the evening. Mostly because it takes me awhile to get everything moving in one direction. The fishing does seem to pickup towards evening. However, I have had some really good mornings in the past. This time of year, I don't think it matters as much. I do believe the fish tend to come to the surface near dark. There are always fish in the area, its just a matter of where they are, given tides, light, boats and weather. Thats the challenge. An overcast day really can turn the fish on. Its like twilight all day.

The morning may be good as the fish have had all night without anyone bothering them. Now the shallows may be another thing. It would seem to me that about mid day the fish would not be on the flats. However , there is deeper water nearer the flats. To me the secret is finding the large schools of baitfish. Whenever I find those thick solid areas of bait that is where I find fish. Possibly the game fish have baitfish all balled up for defense. Like I posted before it is such a large area, with shallows and depths, there are always some fish. At times it can be wild.

This is why studying the charts is important. That way a fisherman can move from one area of structure to another in search of fish. That is what I have done over the years. I am always looking at the charts, trying to figure out why the fish were holding in a certain area, or trying to figure out given a certain tide movement, where will the fish be holding. Its a big puzzle.

Comment

very good see you there

Comment

For those using Mapquest or GPS. The Hillsmere marina entrance is between the addresses of 133 Bayview Dr. East, and 135 Bayview Dr. East, Annapolis, Maryland 21403. If we go to the Boatyard Bar and Grill, after fishing, that address is 400 Severn Ave. This way, one way or the other, folks can print out directions or have them on vehicle navigation devices.

This should be fun.

Comment

Are we fishing in the morning or afternoon? That'll be after daylight saving time ends, so we could fish until dark (5ish, probably), then get dinner. Though, the weather might be calmer in the morning.
                                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                                X