Cicadas after 17 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cicadas after 17 years

After 17 Years, the Northeast Is About to Be Blanketed by a Swarm of Cicadas. Time to tie some cicada fly patterns.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smar...201303-science

i dont get the 17 years thing. the last time was 2004, and before that was when i was a little kid in the 80's. that would mean these came out in the 90's which i dont remember happening?
    sigpic

Comment

It's the Smithsonian so it can't be wrong. And just when I thought the stink bugs were under control. Must be the end, fish hard and quickly you never know.
      Last edited by On the fly; 03-23-2013, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
        i dont get the 17 years thing. the last time was 2004, and before that was when i was a little kid in the 80's. that would mean these came out in the 90's which i dont remember happening?
        That's what I keep saying. It happened the year I moved to MD.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

There's different sets of of them that come up.

Comment

true, but how come i cant find anything about this 1996 cicada? either way, its crazy how this bug lives for 17 years!
            sigpic

Comment

I've never been fortunate enough to see these black ones up close. I used to catch the annuals as a kid; they're the dark green and black ones that come out every summer. Fair warning though, if you're in an area where a large amount of the brood emerges, once they die and decay they smell like Limburger cheese....
              2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Here is a site showing all the different cicada Broods and years they come out.

http://www.magicicada.org/about/brood_pages/broods.php

Comment

When they are out it is warm- I usually hear them when I am groundhog hunting Southern PA-late May, early June-
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                    Hey, I'm with stupid. (<--, sheesh, sounds like a T-shirt) The last BIG outbreak of 17 year cicadas in Maryland was 2004. I hit them bigtime at Prettyboy Reservoir on May 18, 2004. Carp were scarfing them up like orphans at a candy store free-for-all. On May 25, 2004 they were all over the rocks at Chain Bridge on the lower Potomac. Catfish were slashing at them as they floated downriver. On May 28, 2004, I caught a bunch of nice bluegills at Greenbriar Lake using Cicadas. At all 3 locations the cicadas were all over the place by the 1000s. To re-bait all I'd have to do is reach out anywhere and grab one off a bush.

There are several broods on the east coast that overlap somewhat, but the main brood for MD is still 8 years off (2021).
                    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

humm- I'll bet a donut hole that Snakeheads will go crazy for them this year if they are flitting around on top water

Comment

I remember a few Cicada years. Once while fishing for smallmouth bass. The fish were just killing the cicadas that fell to the water. It was a feeding frenzy.

Comment

So, what type of lure's do you guys recommend. Does any of these work: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...nid=2941120011

1/16, 1/8, 3/8, 1/2 Oz???

Best Regards.
                          Stan
                          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Nope-just use top water big bug lures- In eastern PA in some of the limestone/chalk trout streams where lots of folks feed the fish with chunks of bread, the local fly fishermen have started making flies that look like pieces of sliced white bread- they just float them down stream and bam! big Browns and Rainbows kill the bread lures- same thing when we have big hatches of bugs- "match the hatch" is an old axiom in fly fishing-

Comment

Ron is right, "topwater." Use a similar color.

I like the bread fly idea. We used to use a pellet fly, that matched what stocked trout would feed on in the hatchery. It worked on freshly stocked trout.

Comment

Working...
                              X