Cicadas after 17 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From a similar post on Tidalfish:

"Once every 17 years the cicadas come out in full force. 2013 is one of these cycle years. These big black bugs swarm every where and many end up in ponds , creeks and rivers. It does not take the fish long to home in on the cicadas splashing on surface. For about 2-3 weeks - it is a top water fisherman's dream come true. Large mouth and Small mouth bass go bonkers but so do Trout and Bluegills. I've seen Pickerel attack them too. Even fish normally on bottom like Carp and Catfish join in the fun. Now is the time to get your fresh water license and seek out a lure that IMHO does best. Heddon makes a tiny torpedo in black with white stripes. It is just the right size and that propeller on the back imitates the cicada splashing almost perfect. Trick is to work it as slow as you can - then slow down even more. Once the cicadas come out - you'll be hard pressed to find this lure as they sell out quickly. I'd buy 3-4 - not uncommon to lose 1-2 to bigger fish , not to mention your fishing buddies who raid your tackle box. I sometimes take the hooks off - the explosion of the strike is just as much fun as reeling them in."

The guy who posted this (27 sailfish) is a very accomplished fisherman - I suspect he is on target with those suggestions.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I guess I'm the opposite of everyone, I don't remember a 2004 brood, but I definitely remember the 90's group. My dad would pick a bunch off a tree and stick them on top of our hats when we weren't looking. Made for a nice surprise when they would start chattering.
      Fishing adds years to your life, and life to your years.

Comment

Some year's broods are bigger than others. I don't remember if this is the big one or not. Black tiny torpedos are they ultimate lure when they do come out.
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Manlystanley
          Sorry to tell you, but those cicada lures are not going to imitate the bugs. They are wobbling blade baits that work well in deeper, cold water. Not a bad lure this time of year.
          The tiny torpedo, Pop-R, and the Jitterbug are what you want as a burbling bubbling surface lure.
          Think drowning insect.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
            Manlystanley
            Sorry to tell you, but those cicada lures are not going to imitate the bugs. They are wobbling blade baits that work well in deeper, cold water. Not a bad lure this time of year.
            The tiny torpedo, Pop-R, and the Jitterbug are what you want as a burbling bubbling surface lure.
            Think drowning insect.
            Good deal. THanks for hte insight! Here's a three pack for $12: http://www.amazon.com/Heddon-PK3HD2-...s=tiny+torpedo

Best Regards,
            Stan
            Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
            X