No announcement yet.

December M&G - Weekend of Decemeber 11th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went on a quick shakedown run on Monday night to practice with eels. Man those things still freak me out. I used a plastic tupperware dish I got from some Chinese food and I cut a few holes in the bottom to drain the slime. It worked great! I would dip them in the water every now and them and then drain the slime out again. They sit under a bungee on my mod pod so they didn't escape!

Long story short, eel management system worked, eel fishing didn't. I had about 6 strikes with one good run that came loose. Felt like a good fish but I'm not sure. Although, judging by the size of the eel anglers gave me I think it had to be a big one!

So questions- I tried leaving the reel in free-spool with the clicker on and a circle hook (best run on this), tried a j-hook and setting the hook, tried light drag in the rod holder and a paddle hook set... None worked. How are you guys fishing yours?
    Used to fish more.

Comment

where were you fishing the eels? The Bay Bridge?

From what i read the reel is left in free spool with the clicker engaged. I think there needs to be enough tension not to allow the eel to get to the bottom but loose enough to let the fish take the bait without resistance.

If they were large eels its possible the fish never fully ate the bait. Giving them more time could help in that case.

Comment

Yeah I think that might have been the issue. I tried using a combo that I had out from the weekend (originally put it together for a tog trip that never happened) and I think the clicker is far too strong for eeling. It's a Newell reel and a MH Ugly Stick Intercostal, I don't think I'll eel with it again because of the strong clicker and the fact that when the reel is in free spool it does not re-engage when you reel. I'm going to break out my Cardiffs again. Not sure if they could hold a Kipto Cow though. I've got a TLD somewhere that I need to dig out, but it might have the same problems.

Do you use J's or circles? I am afraid of gut hooking one of these fish as I intend to release her after a picture.
        Used to fish more.

Comment

Working...
        X