No announcement yet.

Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome fish, Wayne. Were you jigging a Gotcha plug?
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice going guys! Wish I could of went but the timing wasn't right.

Are there other marina's you can launch off to access the mouth? I saw
      Turkey Point Marina and several others on google map. Will they let you pay
      and fee and launch?

Comment

This came up in another thread about launching areas. There is a county park on the other side of the river, Mayo Beach Park. It cost $45 for a yearly launching pass. The pass is for car top boats, which includes kayaks. You could pretty much cover the same fishing areas. This is an option for next year. You can get additional information on this launch site by going to the Recreation and Parks page of the Anne Arundel County web site. For the remainder of this year the park is closed for beach restoration.

Comment

I saw that but I'm not sure I will be launching there enough times to be worth paying and getting the permit.

So there's no public marina's in that area that will allow you to launch for a fee?

Comment

The picture of the double was a double rig with a 3/4 ounce rattle trap on the bottom and a Manns hard nose swimming mullet on a 1/2 ounce jig above. Most of the fish I caught jigging were caught on a blade style bait (Cicaida/Sonar/Silver buddy style). Rip it up and dropping it on a tight line. Most hits came on the pause after the drop. Also caught a few more vertically jigging the rattle trap and had 2 doubles where I hooked up on the sonar and rattle trap at the same time. Fun times sticking 2 fish and then having to choose which fish to try and land first while trying to keep the lines from tangling Good Fishin

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the info, Wayne. I often thought a bigger blade bait would be effective for stripers, but I never tried it.

$45 is kind of steep for a pass. You're allowed multiple vehicles on the permit, so I wonder if there's a way to share a pass.

Dave--I saw a couple other marinas on Google Earth. It might be worth a call. Holiday Point Marina and Selby Bay Marina look like good options in terms of distance to good fishing.
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

i saw them also might ride over and check them out, the one on beach dr. looks good. i did about 3 miles and my hamstrings were pretty sore, so a closer launch would be nice. there is a free launch on the Rhode river, carrs wharf been wanting to check it out but havent yet.

congrats to wayne, ive got a shinny new jig for you. i only got 1 pull down and that was on a redfish magic with a black bucktail tipped with a 3" white curly tail grub but as i turned to fight it came unbuttoned

Comment

If you can find a launch area in the Rhode or West River area, the mouth of those rivers are about the same as the South River. They are very good fishing rivers. There is alot of hard bottom in that area also. If they would provide less peddle or paddle time, the fishing is also good in that area. Might be worth a try. There is also very good bottom fishing in that area in the summer.

Comment

I haven't tried fishing there yet, but at the end of Rt 255 in Galesville there's a public park with paved parking and a cartop launch. Looking on a map it's not too far from the mouth of West R. between Pirates Cove and Thursday's restaurants(walking distance from the park). I can vouch for the food and drink at both establishments. Might be a place to add for next year. Hopfully I'll be able to get the wife to work around M & G Saturdays next year.

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                      Cool. Thanks for the info, Wayne. I often thought a bigger blade bait would be effective for stripers, but I never tried it.
                      Not sure how big you mean when you a bigger blade bait. I was using a 5/8 ounce sonar in silver / nickel. I would guess it is about 2.75 " long. From Dogfish's comments and some other talk I have heard about the stripers eating young of the year Menhaden, bigger might not be better right now... The 27 inch rock had a couple of bait fish about 4 inches long in its stomach.

Comment

That's about the size I was thinking. I've got a 5/8oz Bass Pro version in my yellow perch tackle box, and there are a couple companies that make 3/4oz versions. Though, from the action you had Saturday, it sounds like vertically jigging a Rattletrap works just as well.
                        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Very nice guys....glad it was a success.
                          Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
                          X