Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massively frustrated...

I want some input from you guys.

I'm finally ready to buy another kayak and I am at a loss as to what to get. I want 1 kayak that I can keep rigged and ready. I want the ability to fish EVERY type of water for EVERY type of fish, from skinny creeks and over-abundant structure to Kiptopeake to offshore for Marlin (I can dream dammit). I want to ditch my trailer and go to car-topping on the SUV racks. I want some simple storage for tackle or, better yet, a few Plano boxes (not just in my crate). I'm 6'2 and 285 lbs so I need a larger capacity yak. I also want a 13-14 footer. I HATE molded in foot rests. I really don't want a Hobie.

Everything I look into has some rather serious drawbacks. I love the Jackson Cuda 14 but the ideal for that boat is a 155 to 225 lb paddler, that means I would sit low in the water and paddle a tank. I like the Malibu Stealth 14 but at 91 lbs it's a beast. I've been offered an absolutely killer deal on a new leftover 2012 Native Redfish 14 but, from what I read, it is not very good in wind or chop (but nobody says WHY it isn't good, less stable, wet, noisy, weathervaning, ???). I spend a lot of time on the Bay, wind and chop are kind of the norm for a large part of that time. I am also less than impressed with the size of the front hatch on the Redfish since I plan on doing more kayak camping this year. I like the Ride and the Tarpon but they had their drawbacks as well (weight capacity, stability).

I'm also not rich.

Anybody got any ideas?

I bought a factory 2nd Trident 13 from a reputable dealer this year and saved some decent coin and thoroughly enjoy it, couldn't find anything wrong with it and it came with full warranty

Comment

Trident 13 / 15 or a Ride 135?
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Have you looked into the Big Game? The internet likes to give it flak about being a barge, creating hull slap, etc. But Mytmouse get along quite well with his. Stable, dry ride...has the capacity to carry any damn thing.
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Well I don't own one, but I am almost certain that my next yak is gonna be a Malibu. God only knows when that will be. but it shall come to pass someday! LOL I have read nothing but glowing reviews from them. Sadly, for big boned men such as ourselves, our options are really limited. You got that PA from Hobie, Big Game from OK, and then you got the Malibu Stealths and X-Factor. Those are just the companies I looked at, most others cater to the little skinny frail men!! LOL You got the weight wrong on the Stealth 14, on their site it says it comes it at just 64 lbs. But I have read good things about the X-Factor too:

http://www.malibukayaks.com/x-factor.html

http://www.malibukayaks.com/stealth-14-fish-dive.html

I had a chance to paddle the 14 and it cuts through the water niiiiiccceeee WAY better than my big game. Granted I wasn't in chop, but I know some of the guys on KFS fished the west coast launching from the surf and they loved them. Don't give up on the Malibu's just yet!! LOL

Comment

Good luck with your search, man. I have not had a lot of experience with some of the other yaks you mentioned, but I can tell you my experience with the Malibu 14.

A friend of mine has the Malibu 14. I've spent time on it and obviously have seen him on it when we fish. For the weight of it, it tracks well and can pretty much keep up with my outback. Now he is not 285 lbs, but it I think that thing has an almost 400 weight capacity, so you're not gonna sink it. We fish from the ES shoals to a few inches of water in tidal marshes and it holds its own just fine. It has a good amount storage capacity to the point where on you do not always need a crate. Plano boxes fit on the side. Obviously super stable. You could wrestle on that thing and not tip over.

When empty, its heavy but not too bad. No worse than my outback. He is 5'10, 175 and can load it by himself, so I imagine a guy your size should be OK. But when full, its a bear to lift. The only downfall is that when in rough water and severe chop, it can take on a little water. To give you an example he took a wave over the cockpit last weekend and we dumped about a gallon of water out. Maybe this could be fixed with an extra seal or something.
            Last edited by RavensDfense; 05-03-2013, 03:20 PM. Reason: typo

Hobie Fishing Team Member
            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I must agree with the Malibu Stealth in 14'. They really look great. They are also 33" wide. I had an OK Big Game and really liked it. However, the Malibu seems to have all of the plus features of the Big Game, plus more to offer. It also has a built in live well or if not used as a live well, dry storage. We carry the 12' model at the store. However, with the do it all type of requirement, the 14 may be better. I believe if I should get another paddle kayak it would be the Malibu in 14'.

Good luck with your slection.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                It also has a built in live well or if not used as a live well, dry storage.
                Forgot about the center hatch/live well. Just pulling the plug and letting it fill up will keep spot and peelers alive for hours. Nice feature. Or plug it up, throw a block of ice in there and you have a cooler.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I am not well seasoned, but before I bought my tarpon I did sit in a ride135. I was impressed with it's wide stable platform and the ability to stand and fish. It reminds me of an outback without pedals. Only reason I did not purchase it was I would struggle getting it on top my vehicle....but there are much stronger guys out there then me. With my Tarpon I almost took a few spills just trying to reach my crate behind me, so the stability is not as well.

Good Luck!
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I love my RIDE 135.

I have also looked into the Native Slayer & the Cudu 14 which a buddy of mine just purchased. Both are good boats. I am 6'-0 and 245 lbs.

Meadeo
                    2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

One other new thing about the Ride's. They have the new elevated seat option that appears to have room underneath to store a couple of Plano boxes.

check the 3rd video
                      http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...eat-High.html#!
                      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

My paddle Yak is a Ocean Prowler 13- fast, tracks well, nice rocker for rough waters and although I am 6' and 265 lbs. It carries me and my gear without any issues- only thing is it is a wet seat- otherwise fine- no complaints- at 28 inches it isn't overly wide yet has pretty good stability- I haven't turtled it (or my Outback) but then I am very careful about not leaning and I straddle the yak and sit side saddle when I am getting gear out of the back
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

the 115 is 33' wide....probably gonna be my next boat. I'm not the same specifics, but I'm a bigger build as well.

I know that Chad who runs KBF (www.kayakbassfishing.com) is a bigger guy too (6'+ 225+) and can stand in the Ride w/ no problems. Yes Wilderness Systems sponsors him, but its encouraging to see.

I'd love a paddle boat that has the specifics of the PA 14 (14 feet, 38 inches wide). Its pretty much a Jon Boat.

Comment

The OK drifter is suppose to be great for big guys. Wide. Stable. Not too expensive. I think they are discontinued but you might be able to find a used one online somewhere. Worth a shot.

Comment

John -

You are welcome to test out my Native Manta Ray 14. It handles well in rough water and is a fast boat and easily accomodates my large body. It has a remarkably comfortable seat and foot position and keeps your butt out of the water. The newer ones come with gear tracks.

When I was in Florida last month, I got to fish from three other Native models -- Manta Ray 12 (slower than the 14, but is easier to turn), Slayer, and Ultimate 14.5. I would not suggest getting an Ultimate for fishing the range of conditions we have here. But the others are all good boats.
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis
                              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                              X