Massively frustrated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
    The OK drifter is suppose to be great for big guys. Wide. Stable. Not too expensive. I think they are discontinued but you might be able to find a used one online somewhere. Worth a shot.

My first kayak was a Drifter. It is wide and stable and easily carried my weight. I don't think Ocean Kayak makes the Drifter anymore. You may find a used one -- but beware -- I sometimes got a wet butt and had a short time to butt fatigue.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

You mentioned the Jackson Cuda but did you look at the Big Tuna? Its marketed as a tandem but can be configured for single seat.

Comment

maybe loose some weight? just kidding i have a bass pro shops acend 11 footer that ive had for 8 years and i love it, but its certainly not the best ever

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
          maybe loose some weight? just kidding i have a bass pro shops acend 11 footer that ive had for 8 years and i love it, but its certainly not the best ever

Comment

Nay-Sayer, I just bought my third Stealth 14. Had (2) X Factors prior to those. (Same hull as the Stealth 14) Malibu's been upgrading them each year. From back waters to offshore in not the best conditions they’ve performed well. All fishing kayaks are a compromise. For how and where I like to fish the Stealth is a great fit.

As for speed, they are not as bad as posts would lead you to believe. Just get the right paddle. I throw the Stealth on the roof of my SUV with no problems at all. Easy to stand and fish. Like to keep gear out of the way and the side and aft compartments are great for that. Yes, the Stealth has issues, but the positive out weight the negatives by far. The Ride 135 might be one to look as as well. The 2013 model has a high-low seat which I think is a great idea and in my opinion Malibu should consider one like it. Seat aside I still would take the Stealth.
            Last edited by Fishtank; 05-03-2013, 11:54 PM.
            Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
            Predator 13

Comment

I have a 2012 Ride 135 and I like it a lot. I can fish just about anywhere with it. With that been said, I am looking at selling it to buy me a Feel Free Moken 12.5 Angler Kayak.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...ler-Kayak.html

Comment

Thanks everybody. I think I'll be spending lots of time doing demos.

Comment

The Big Tuna from Jackson (someone mentioned it) is 14', 35" wide...w/ a Hi-Lo seat. It weighs 100lbs though. Its a Tandem that can be used as a singleb

Comment

Have you considered the Jackson Big Tuna? I have one you are welcome to try

Originally posted by nay_sayer View Post
                    I want some input from you guys.

I'm finally ready to buy another kayak and I am at a loss as to what to get. I want 1 kayak that I can keep rigged and ready. I want the ability to fish EVERY type of water for EVERY type of fish, from skinny creeks and over-abundant structure to Kiptopeake to offshore for Marlin (I can dream dammit). I want to ditch my trailer and go to car-topping on the SUV racks. I want some simple storage for tackle or, better yet, a few Plano boxes (not just in my crate). I'm 6'2 and 285 lbs so I need a larger capacity yak. I also want a 13-14 footer. I HATE molded in foot rests. I really don't want a Hobie.

Everything I look into has some rather serious drawbacks. I love the Jackson Cuda 14 but the ideal for that boat is a 155 to 225 lb paddler, that means I would sit low in the water and paddle a tank. I like the Malibu Stealth 14 but at 91 lbs it's a beast. I've been offered an absolutely killer deal on a new leftover 2012 Native Redfish 14 but, from what I read, it is not very good in wind or chop (but nobody says WHY it isn't good, less stable, wet, noisy, weathervaning, ???). I spend a lot of time on the Bay, wind and chop are kind of the norm for a large part of that time. I am also less than impressed with the size of the front hatch on the Redfish since I plan on doing more kayak camping this year. I like the Ride and the Tarpon but they had their drawbacks as well (weight capacity, stability).

I'm also not rich.

Anybody got any ideas?
                    I run Valley Mill Kayak Shop in Germantown MD, and have a demo you can try for free
                    Jim

Comment

Contact me about your search. There is a NEW STYLE BassPro Brand kayak in stock. Its a wider Yak than the FS12T but not as wide as the Hobie PA and holds a 350lb angler and has a ton of storage like the PA as well as a high seat like the PA. its only about $699 I think... Also it has foot pedals and not the molded foot rests that we all hate so much. It just came into the store within the last couple weeks. A hell of a nice Yak!!!!!
                      Tom Brown
                      Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                      2012 Hobie PA 14'
                      Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                      2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Riding a Trident Prowler 13 and like it a lot. 2yrs ago when I was looking and reading everything and frustrated, I shot Kayak Kevin an email with a couple of questions and mentioned several other models I had an eye on. He never put down the other kayaks but I came away wanting to purchase the OK. Seems to handle surf well and tracks without a rudder just fine. I do get butt fatigue but I get that in my car. I have no experience in other yaks except for the Tarpon 100 which my kids have. My second choice was a Malibu Stealth.

Comment

I just checked it out on the website....they did a good job, and a vast improvement. They did take a lot of cues from Hobie & other companies...

But its still only holds max of 350... for the OP that might still be a little small. Also...1st review wasn't that encouraging...said its cheaply made.

For those interested: http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS128T...2102505321116/

Comment

I have the stealth 12, and if the 14 is anything like the 12 you will like it. I absolutely love my stealth 12. i got my slayer 12 this past christmas and i am still trying to adjust to it, but i find myself wishing for the stealth sometimes. (i did keep the stealth though)
                            Kodi B. from MD/PA
                            Fishing from a Malibu Stealth 12 & Native Slayer 12

Comment

Naysayer...did you see there was a cobra fish and dive listed in the for sale section. They use those in every type of water out on the Pacific coast. Not the fastest, but great for big guys, takes all kinds of weather, fantastic stability
                              http://www.cobrakayaks.com/fishndive.html
                              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I feel cramped in my Revo sometimes and I only weigh in the 160s... The Mojo Angler I had before this was wider, more seat room with high side walls.
                                2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                                X