Anyone using a torqeedo around here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using a torqeedo around here?

I am seriously starting to look into a back up motor (to back up my aching shoulders). Has anyone used this set up?

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

I have one on a Pro Angler and really like it. I do not use it as my primary propulsion. The battery life is good if you keep the speed down. If you run it wide open, the battery will last less than one hour. It is a high-quality and well engineered piece of equipment. There are many cheaper alternatives, but weight was a big factor for me. I did not want to have to carry and load a full-sized marine battery. They typically weigh over fifty pounds, not counting the weight of the trolling motor. The Torqeedo weighs less than fifteen pounds for the motor and battery combined. I personally know two other people from this forum that have the same set up (kitkatyaker & memorymaker). I think that both of them are very pleased as well.

Chad at HOOK1 is the place that I would recommend for purchase. They are great people to deal with. Members of this forum received a ten percent discount on everything he sells. I do not believe that he charges for shipping for the Torqeedo, plus you do not pay the thieving Maryland Governor's outrageous sales tax. That alone is enough to make it worthwhile buying from out-of-state.

PM me and I will give you my phone number if you need more information.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me Russ. I want it mostly for a back up as I like to paddle. I just don't want to paddle out to Tolly Point and then have to paddle back after the wind has changed.

Weight is an issue for me as well. I was thinking of selling my Trident and buying a smaller Hobie just for the peddles but the Hobie would weigh more and I would bust my ass getting it on top of my Camry. I thought about buying a trailer but the Jonas Green Park (my favorite launch point) doesn't allow trailer parking. So that leaves me with getting a light motor system and the Torqeedo is the only game in town.

I'm not ready to push the button yet but I am close.

John

John
      John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
        ...... but the Hobie would weigh more and I would bust my ass getting it on top of my Camry. I thought about buying a trailer but the Jonas Green Park (my favorite launch point) doesn't allow trailer parking. So that leaves me with getting a light motor system and the Torqeedo is the only game in town
        John
        I have seen numerous "tricks" to get larger kayaks on top of cars... one lady flipped her cart over on top of the trunk of her car and rolled her 13ft yak right on top... it's on YouToobie... my apologies that I can't remember the link. Maybe it's title 'hot chick puts kayak on top of car... HA HA... I just found it !!! "VOILA"

Comment

That is the procedure I am using for my OC 13ft Trident. I can use this to load my empty yak but just. I won't be able to do it with anything heavier. That is why I am looking at the Torqeedo. If I get one, I will probably install it in a fixed position as I already have a rudder. It will also make installing it and removing it easier.

John
          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I have the Torqeedo Evolve on my Outback. It is awesome. Get one, you won't regret it.

On a side note, I was told by that park ranger that technically kayaks with motors are not supposed to be launched from Jonas Green. He said he really doesn't care, but if DNR comes around they may write me a ticket. This is my third season launching from Jonas and first time I've ever heard anything about. I will continue to launch there, but just thought I'd let you know.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I was told by a female park ranger last year, that as long as I was launching a "car-top" craft at Jonas Green, it was O.K.
              So my canoe with the electric motor was O.K.

Comment

I have used my trailer at Jonas before. I disconnected it from the car and parked it like normal. No hassle from anyone.

Comment

Does anyone know where to find the rules for parking at JG? It seems some folks think parking a trailer is verbotten and others think it is ok.

As for the Torqeedo, do you guys using it feel that it lives up to the info provided by the manufacturer as to range and power settings? If I was to install it as a fixed mount (no steering function), can I just remove the four screws that hold it on the ball to remove the whole assy?

Thanks,

John
                  John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Does anyone know where to find the rules for parking at JG? It seems some folks think parking a trailer is verbotten and others think it is ok.
                    The rules are posted there at the park, and are quite clear about "no trailers" and car top only. The same rules & regulations apply to all of AA county's Car-top launch sites.

http://www.aacounty.org/RecParks/launch/index.cfm
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Jeepers! For a moment there I was getting excited about the prospect of launching from j.green with my trailer. Lol. Thanks Metro for posting the link.
                      As for you John...
                      Yes, the torqeedo DOES live up to the hype.
                      2015 Outback
                      2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

As for the Torqeedo, do you guys using it feel that it lives up to the info provided by the manufacturer as to range and power settings? If I was to install it as a fixed mount (no steering function), can I just remove the four screws that hold it on the ball to remove the whole assy?

Thanks,

John

As far as the Torqeedo, it does live up to the hype. Range is a bit limited. I knew that before I got mine. I did buy two additional batteries. With that said, I generally only use two on an average day of fishing. Keep in mind that I do mostly trolling. The motor is running all the time. Just my opinion, it would be advantageous to hook up the motor to the steering cables. When using the rudder, you have to get moving, with water flowing over the rudder in order to steer. With the motor hooked up to the cables, you steer with the thrust, with steering being immediate. My Torqeedo is mounted inside my PA, so I have to be moving to steer. It is only a minor inconvenience, but if you have the choice, using the steering would be better. I miss that sort of thing from my BassYak motor. The Torqeedo is a bit more powerful, but if also makes more noise than a typical trolling motor. However, if you like to paddle you can lock the motor in position and use the rudder. Of course you may be able to hook up some sort of quick disconnect and have the best of both worlds. Removal is as easy a loosening up tension on the ball and remove the arm from the ball.

Good luck with you choice.

Comment

Thanks Metro.

John
                          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Thanks Dogfish for your info. If I can make a clip on type of connection from the motor to my rudder, I will do it, if not, I will leave it fixed and use the paddle to help turn.

I don't troll and do paddle so I'm thinking there will be plenty of power when I need it. If I really wanted to get inventive, I could make a shade out of the solar panel that torqeedo sells. Hmmm, that might not be a bad idea.

John
                            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

John call russ. He has a really good configuration for quick disconnect.
                              Very efficient.
                              2015 Outback
                              2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X