Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too many fishing lures/ lure shopping addiction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always try to buy lures that mimic what I know the fish eat in real life, things in Baby Bass, Perch, Bluegill flavors/colors etc. I have my share of white/pink/chartreuse lures for bad visibility, but I don't use them much. I'm certainly of the camp that the more natural the bait looks, the better chance you have at catching a fish. That being said, I've caught fish on ridiculous looking lures that I just bought because they looked kinda cool. I'm an "always prepared" type of person so I like to have a little of everything at my disposal so I can adjust as the situation dictates. You can certainly catch fish with a very limited tacklebox if you stock appropriately, but I enjoy wandering bass pro or dicks to see what new lures are out and picking a few up here and there.

I am a little more thrifty, however. I always scour the clearance racks at dicks and only usually shop the sales at bass pro unless I'm looking for something specific. I almost only buy Bass Pro branded soft plastics because they're cheaper and still hold up well in my opinion. I also will pick out lures I like in the store, then search overstock.com or other websites online and try to find deals. Wide Open Spaces sends daily emails and has sales on a lot of fishing and other hunting/outdoor gear as well. It's free to sign up and it's legit, I've ordered from them before. They don't always have a lot of things, but what they do have is usually really cheap.
    Live every week like it's shark week.

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
      I've done the same thing. When I first started really getting into kayak fishing I would take my tackle bag and have so many different, new lures that I tried to use everything to see what works. I've gotten skunked plenty of times by doing that. If you can afford it and get enjoyment out of shopping for new lures, I don't see a problem with it. I usually go in, grab about 6 things that look cool and end up putting them back down because I realize I probably wont use them. This happens about 3 or 4 times until I just get the one thing I'm there for and leave. To help your fishing out you'll have to find the pattern, or where they're holding. Then figure out what you have that can be presented to that fish the best way. The best presentation will depend on the conditions and the mood of the fish. Hope that helps or makes sense.
      That sounds like what I've been doing lately. I'll go put them back, and then start over again. I ended up spending 2 hours at BPS the other day
      Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
      Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
      Northern Pike: 24 inches
      Crappie: 12 inches
      Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Working...
      X