• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakehead tournament 8/24/13

DDOE's Snakehead Tournament

Heard this on the radio this morning.

Sat, 08/24/2013 - 12:00pm - 3:00pm

In an effort to stop the spread of the invasive northern snakehead, the DDOE is sponsoring a recreational fishing tournament, the goal of which is to remove from our waters as many snakeheads as possible. Offering a total of $2,500 in prizes, the tournament will conclude on August 24, with a closing ceremont to follow the weigh-in. Closing ceremonies will be held at DDOE's Aquatic Resources Education Center, located in Anacostia Park.

For more information contact DDOE at 202.535.2660 or visit them at http://ddoe.dc.gov/service/fisheries-and-wildlife .
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

I couldn't find anything about a tournament on their website. All I can find digging through is to kill all snakeheads, do not return them to the water...
    Jeff
    Life's Short, Fish Hard
    Malibu X-Factor
    Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

Originally posted by FishAholic929 View Post
      I couldn't find anything about a tournament on their website. All I can find digging through is to kill all snakeheads, do not return them to the water...
      Did you read the press release? Here's a link to the PDF : http://ddoe.dc.gov/sites/default/fil...Tournament.pdf

or http://tinyurl.com/k3v4l9g
      Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Interesting but they cannot seriously think that this will put a dent into the snakehead population..... it is here to stay so might as well make it a harvestable food fish and sell it in stores with a new name like maybe Chana fish.
        http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
        484-459-9863
        If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
        *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Gotta' be a DC resident to participate.
          Dave N.
          Wilderness Systems Radar 115
          - Solar

Comment

Originally posted by NukeMD View Post
            Gotta' be a DC resident to participate.
            If you read the rules, you have to be a "legal DC angler", which means you must have a DC fishing license. When I first heard this on the radio on 99.1 news, they indicated that you had to have a DC fishing license. The rules even refers to "non-resident youth" needing a licensed parent or licensed legal guardian. I doubt DC would not want to make some additional money for single day or weekend fishing licenses (whatever type/terms they sell).
            Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

I have a collection of 10 to 12 year-old “Pennsylvania Angler and Boater” magazines. I was skimming through them last week and I ran across an article about invasive white perch in some Pennsylvania lakes.

I could have substituted “snakehead” for “white perch” in the article. All the present day concerns about snakeheads were written about white perch. They’re ravenous; they will take the niche of desirable fish; they can introduce or carry disease and they can make their way to unpopulated water via small streams. A fisheries biologist explained in the article that it is common for invasive species to have a population boom shortly after introduction. Then the population will level off if for no other reason that the food supply cannot sustain their numbers. I don’t know where we are with respect to snakeheads in the cycle but it would be interesting to hear from a fisheries professional on that topic.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

They have to come up with something to keep them busy.

Comment

Working...
                X