No announcement yet.

Requesting Suggestions of Place to Take Female Kayaker for Touring/Sightseeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting Suggestions of Place to Take Female Kayaker for Touring/Sightseeing

Hi,

I am new to kayak fishing and have only used my kayak for fishing since I bought it. A female friend just purchased her own and wants to go touring/sightseeing. She is a decent paddler and in excellent shape (just finished a triathalon so stamina is not an issue). I have really only been to some local lakes and Jonas Green.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good place to do say a 4 or 5 hour paddle that is within a 1.5 hour drive of Washington, DC? I would really like to show her a good time and make her first experience in her new kayak a rewarding one. (MAYBE I CAN GET HER TO GO FISHING IN THE FUTURE...)

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Rob

For touring/sightseeing take her to Truxton Park in Annapolis. There's a good ramp at the end of Park road with picnic tables and charcoal grills. Ramp is free if you cartop and $5 if you trailer. There's even a tour operation with OK Malibu 2's if you don't want to take your own. http://www.kayakannapolistours.com/

This is Spa Creek. It flows into the Severn at the Naval Academy. Plenty of white perch in the creek.

Comment

It all depends on how adventurous you want to be. If you want to play it safe, go back to Jonas Green. Paddle upriver on the same side (east side) and go in and out of the creeks to past the Rt. 50 bridge.

If it's a calmer day and not too much boat traffic, go across the river from the start and explore College Creek and the creeks upriver from like such as Weems, etc.

Is she into wildlife and birding? I haven't been there by kayak yet, but I've spent time in the St. Michael's/Oxford and Tred Avon River area on sailboats years ago. You can't go wrong on the Tred Avon. There's a free Talbot Co. launch at Bellevue Landing. It is a gorgeous river, lots of wildlife and history around there. John Veil may have some ideas on that area, since he's fished there.

An option would be taking two cars and leaving one at the final kayak destination; such as St. Michael's or Oxford at one of the seafood restaurants like the Crab Claw or wherever. That way, you can cover double the water, then load the kayaks before having a nice lunch or dinner, then back to the other vehicle.

Try working the Oxford/Bellevue (car or pedestrian) Ferry into the itinerary. My wife and I did the ferry on a day trip out of D.C. back in '82, before we married in '84. Been married ever since...
      Last edited by Fishinfool; 08-22-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Mattawoman has a lot of bald eagles and a scenic view
        D Hawk
        Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
        Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Originally posted by dhawk View Post
          Mattawoman has a lot of bald eagles and a scenic view
          mattawoman is a scenic gem and the fishing is a bonus. but weekends have more powerboats of course. I've found trips planned to flow with the tide are easier to enjoy.

Comment

Paddling at the WSSC reservoirs is perfect for your mission. Triadelphia or Rocky Gorge are wonderful places to paddle or fish. The reservoirs are completely wooded and you will see plenty of bird life. It is all electric, so no power boats. You can get a daily permit from the WSSC website or visit the WSSC HQ in Laurel, or stop by the log cabin on Brighton Dam road at Triadelphia. The Supplee ramp at Rocky Gorge or the Pig Tail ramp at Triadelphia are rarely crowded. Depending on when you go, you might have the reservoir to yourself.

Comment

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/mdwatertrails/

Comment

Take her to DC. Launch from Gravelly point and you can see all the DC monuments. I think its really neat.

Comment

Above Harpers Ferry. Turn left at the Kennedy House sign, just before you go across the bridge into Virginia, on 340. Make a right onto Sandy Hook Rd. Follow that along the C&O canal. Go further than the first launch, so you get a good paddle. Follow Harpers Ferry road to more launch areas. The launch areas are all along the C&O. A Washington County map will help.

It is a beautiful place to paddle.

Comment

Mallows Bay. Has the most concentrated ship wrecks in the world. Good launch site and not to far from where you are.

Comment

Pocomoke out of Shad landing is nice (More than 1.5 hours).
                      Mattawoman
                      Triadelphia
                      Tuckahoe State Park
                      Monocacy River (Frederick County)
                      C and O canal at Anglers inn. Nice lake area upstream, stop for drinks and food at Anglers.
                      Hurricane Skimmer 128
                      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                        Paddling at the WSSC reservoirs is perfect for your mission. Triadelphia or Rocky Gorge are wonderful places to paddle or fish. The reservoirs are completely wooded and you will see plenty of bird life. It is all electric, so no power boats. You can get a daily permit from the WSSC website or visit the WSSC HQ in Laurel, or stop by the log cabin on Brighton Dam road at Triadelphia. The Supplee ramp at Rocky Gorge or the Pig Tail ramp at Triadelphia are rarely crowded. Depending on when you go, you might have the reservoir to yourself.
                        +1 on that

The upper launch of Tridelphia is very tranquil. No power boats is also a big plus.
                        <MIKE>
                        Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
                        Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

I echo what Mini-X says: Mallows Bay
                          I must also point out that the Patuxent River, Jug Bay is scenic w/ lots of wildlife. Free launch w/yak from Jackson's Landing

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

It sounds like wherever you go, make sure a nice dinner follows up the kayaking

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                              Kokatat Pro Staff
                              Torqeedo Pro Staff
                              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X