Requesting Suggestions of Place to Take Female Kayaker for Touring/Sightseeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
    For touring/sightseeing take her to Truxton Park in Annapolis. There's a good ramp at the end of Park road with picnic tables and charcoal grills. Ramp is free if you cartop and $5 if you trailer. There's even a tour operation with OK Malibu 2's if you don't want to take your own. http://www.kayakannapolistours.com/

This is Spa Creek. It flows into the Severn at the Naval Academy. Plenty of white perch in the creek.
    You gave no indication that your girlfriend is interested in fishing. If she wants some water time and sightseeing, paddling in Spa Creek is hard to beat. As Capt C-Hawk noted, you can launch at Truxton Park. There are also water access points at the ends of several residential streets in downtown Annapolis (parking is always difficult there). You get to see lots of boats from small to mega-yachts, you see beautiful waterfront homes, and can even paddle up Ego Alley.

I have one minor correction to Capt C-Hawk's post -- the ramp fee at Truxton was recently raised. I paid it a few weeks ago when I launched my center console there. I cannot remember if the fee was $8 or $10.

Once you get near the Naval Academy on the Spa Creek side or the Severn River side, you will get a bunch of direct and reflected boat wakes that make the water choppy. It can be scary or fun, depending on your experience and confidence.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I appreciate all the replies. This board is full of super helpful, knowledgeable and thoughtful people. As far as my friend goes, she does not fish and also more notably, we are just friends...not dating at all...in fact, once her boyfriend (now fiance) realized how much we were kayaking together he went out and purchased his own kayak so it looks like I am going to have to find a new partner. Maybe this time I will find one with all her great qualities, but also likes to fish (I can only hope...haha)...take care everyone and thank you again!!!

Comment

There's a bunch of awesome places listed here. Gonna take note of a few of them. Around where I live the scenic tour is going up fishing creek (along the railway tour path). Very calm, lots of nature, and no boats once you get out of the launch area. There is a boardwalk that also follows along that waterway. It's got perch and stripers too, but smalls (sometimes a big perch will show up).

Comment

Camp Mardela in Denton gives you access to Upper Chop and Watts creek. I have not been there for a good while but I lioke it. WP,YP,Sunnies,catfish. LMB, pan rock. Nightcrawlers,spinners, tiny spoons,beetle spins,roadrunners, etc.

http://www.campmardela.org/

Patuxent Park off 301 at Croom

http://patuxentwatertrail.org/pointo...nt-river-park/
          Deadwood (Dave)
          West River & Miles River
          2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
          If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

The beach, the back bays, there is so many areas to explore, MD, DE and VA. The lure of the salt is unprecedented. Of course if she's just a friend anywhere is fine.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

St Mary's county. ...awesome paddles
              A. Breton bay from any of several launchs
              B. Up smith creek from St indigoes landing
              C. St marys river launching at the college

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment