So what are your thoughts on winter's approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what are your thoughts on winter's approach

Every year I go through the same thing.... Come the last week of September or the first two weeks of October and the temperatures rise to the mid 80's and I am convinced that summer will never end.... But, crap, it does, and so I convince myself that 65 degrees is still really almost like summer.... and I go on fishing in blissful ignorance..... Then, I plan this trip a time afterwards and when I get up to go it is still dark out but there is a thick layer of white frost on my windshield where just yesterday was clear glass. I go into the house, hop back in bed and drift off to sleep just as the sound of the furnace comes on for the first time and I fall asleep seeing 50 dollar bills rising up out of the chimney. Yeah, I hate winter!!!
    http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
    484-459-9863
    If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
    *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Well, yes the seasons change fast here. They always have. But I'd like to think there are a few good kayak trips left on the calendar.

This spring and summer have been especially enjoyable because it was my first year owning a kayak.

Although I have always lived in Anne Arundel county I had never really fished the local tidal waters. Instead I had traveled to various fresh water sites, especially those in Pennsylvania and the upper Potomac. I learned a lot by fishing fresh water for many years and I believe those experiences helped me transition to my kayak here in the Chesapeake. But I was still surprised that the tidal rivers and bays so close to my house were so fruitful for light tackle anglers. My kayak gave me easy access to those waters and my new kayak friends made for many nice fishing trips.

Additionally, I have thoroughly enjoyed the reports and advice posted on this forum. Snaggedline has been a great information resource. Also a special thank you is due to "Raptor" for introducing me to kayak fishing. He got me hooked the same way he hooks cow nose rays. Like his rays, I hope to stay on line for a long time.

I really don't want the season to end. But when it does I will look forward to resuming the good times on local waters with good friends in 2014.

Cheers and tight lines to all!
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

If you're willing to brave the cold, winter brings the best striper fishing to the bay. Far fewer boats/yak traffic, much bigger migratory fish. During the closed striper season in the dead of winter is when I've had the most fun. Dress smartly, pay attention to the wind, and go with a buddy and a waterproofed phone...no greater satisfaction than catching big ones in the toughest conditions.

Comment

Plus 1 on bigger fish- December 8th last year I brought home my limit- 27 & a 29 inch striper and mid February I caught five good eating sized Blue cats at Mattawoaman Creek- I usually fill my freezer with catfish filets in the colder winter months-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I am looking forward to some crappie fishing as well as some huge cats in the winter as well. Pretty new to the sport so I am going to be real particular with the right conditions on when to go.

Comment

Last year I fished up to just before Christmas, and started up again in March...have to leave a few weeks for skiing

Comment

Its called hunting season this time of year it alway a tough to decide if I should grab a bow and hit the deer woods or grab the yak and chase some fish then throw in a couple of duck/goose hunts and even some small game and theres just not enough time in a day. Unfortunatly right now Im packing for an upcoming move and still working 6 days a week so I only get to read what everyone else is doing while I should be working.
              D Hawk
              Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
              Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Go buy your second home in Florida, go away mid-October and don't come back until April. I can visit you 2 - 3 times over the winter if you need someone to fish with...
                HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

The Gulf Coast of Alabama/Mississippi/eastern Louisiana would be my preferred winter fishing grounds- much smarter DNR rules than Florida and just as good or better fishing for 99% of the fish I like to catch- much bigger and more abundant speckled trout/redfish and Louisiana has some of the biggest Tarpon in the USA...gotta give the west coast of Florida the nod to snook fishing, though- and Tripletail...yumm...big hard fighting tasty tripletails- only on the Gulf Coast , Mobile Bay and Pascagoula, Mississippi- Tripletails are like the worlds biggest gluegill-
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-13-2013, 11:52 AM.
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

My thoughts: I've been getting by just fine with chest waders over the past few seasons. I really want to get something more stout for cold weather fishing...
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                      My thoughts: I've been getting by just fine with chest waders over the past few seasons. I really want to get something more stout for cold weather fishing...
                      I just picked up a Kokatat tempest dry top which should match well with my Kokatat tempest dry pants. You can have this set-up for probably $360. Cheaper than a dry suit. This is becoming an older model, so you can prob find deals, too. My top is in shipping, though, so I'll know better when I get my hands on it.

images.jpgKokatat_2012_Tempest_Mango.jpg

Comment

Since more than 3/4 of my kayak outings during the year are in the Severn, I have started to get a sense of the progression of fish behavior with the seasons. In another few weeks, the perch will leave the shallow shoreline spots where they have been all summer. The pickerel bite will start picking up. Stripers can be found in many spots -- they will move to other spots in late November.

I don't like the cold weather, but I do enjoy the cycles and being able to target different species in different ways as fall moves on and winter starts.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Dress warm. Go out. Fish. Don't turtle.

I caught stripers in February at the bay bridge last year. They are there. There are big ones in the warm water power plant discharges if you can get there. Blue cats don't care about the cold. Yellow perch figure it's a good time to get together and mate.

Worst case, paddle south... south... south... until you reach warm waters.
                          Mike S.
                          Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I am going to fish for stripers till they close the season. I'll probably dedicate a few trips for some Weem's pickerel. Make a first trip to Occoquan for a crappie fry. The WW bridge is also in the books for some blue cats. Before you know it....the yellow perch will be in town, then it's trophy season all over again!
                            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Two words: Winter sucks!

Comment

Working...
                              X