So what are your thoughts on winter's approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jsquare View Post
    I just picked up a Kokatat tempest dry top which should match well with my Kokatat tempest dry pants. You can have this set-up for probably $360. Cheaper than a dry suit. This is becoming an older model, so you can prob find deals, too. My top is in shipping, though, so I'll know better when I get my hands on it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9484[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9485[/ATTACH]
    Thanks for that info
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I have had a set of those dry pants for several years. They are great.

Comment

What do you wear on your feet with those pants that have the integrated sock?

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
          What do you wear on your feet with those pants that have the integrated sock?
          You can use regular wading boots or take a look at these (on sale right now)

http://www.nrs.com/product/23011/nrs...tshoe-closeout

I get them a size larger than my regular footwear to have space for the integrated socks on the pants.
          Last edited by Turtle135; 10-14-2013, 02:54 PM.
          Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Regarding the cold water period, I just keep on bass fishing. They don't feed as often but if you are patient with a jig or a jerkbait you can still get them to bite.

January 1 2013:

January 1 2012:

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Yeah I second bass fishing in the winter. These guys are from February and December last year before I had my kayak, both from a small pond on rattletraps.

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

Comment

Well I figure with the cooler temperatures... I can leave the ice chest at home...
                and just strap my stringer to the roof rack.

Comment

Picked up some gear in prep for the upcoming season change...

Got this for up top:

And these for the bottom:

After research and digging through many old posts, I went with the semi-dry top to avoid the latex gasket discomfort. Free shipping on both, 10% discount on the top.

Total was $333

Also picked up a marine radio yesterday morning lol

Comment

MetroMan,

Nice buys. They should do the trick.

Can you or anyone offer advice on dry pants and boots for Hobie users?

I'm concerned about the freedom of the pants so that they do not impair my leg movement and the fit of the boots into the Hobie pedals.

If anyone has experience with particular brands or models of pants and boots I would appreciate their input.

I'm still wearing shorts and sneakers but I cannot do that much longer.

Thank you,
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark,

I did extensive research, and hands down Kokotat is the best - from a quality/longevity perspective. They are also more expensive (go figure). I bought a one peace which is nice but you can't wear the tops or the bottoms separately - which frankly sometimes would be good on a warm day. However, you do not have to worry about a waist seam leak, and they are loose around the middle. They all seem to fit quite loosely (see Metro's pic) which may give you some leg rub as you pedal (kind of like the old corduroy pants) but certainly would not be binding. As Metro said the semi dry without the latex neck is fine for kayaking, and more comfortable than the latex around the neck seal. They may leak around the neck only slightly (a tea cup) if you dive under water. For your feet I recommend the pants with the built in bootie. You can cover the bootie with some waterproof sox like the ones on sale at ACK and pedal just like that . . . should be plenty small enough. Or, you can put your tennis shoes, or whatever, on over the bootie using the bootie as a sock. If you do the two socks and there is a chance you will have to walk some distance you can always throw shoes in the kayak. Hope this helps. You can try mine sometime.

T

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      MetroMan,

Nice buys. They should do the trick.

Can you or anyone offer advice on dry pants and boots for Hobie users?

I'm concerned about the freedom of the pants so that they do not impair my leg movement and the fit of the boots into the Hobie pedals.

If anyone has experience with particular brands or models of pants and boots I would appreciate their input.

I'm still wearing shorts and sneakers but I cannot do that much longer.

Thank you,
                      Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                        . For your feet I recommend the pants with the built in bootie.
                        +1. I made sure to get the kokotat pants with the built in sock/bootie...like the bottom of my waders. One less "junction".

Comment

A lot of good info posted here already. I have a Kokatat dry suit that I am very happy with. However that being said, for all the newbies out there, please remember that your SOT kayak has no floatation if you have a hatch, hull, or scupper leak. Even with a good seal on what you are wearing, you need to have a yak to get back on to increase your survival ability. Make sure you stuff your yak with pool noodles or air bags to keep it floating when it is full of water. This is even more important in winter, but I leave mine in year round.

Comment

Thanks guys.

That's helpful.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

SPECKS, SPECKS, SPECKS!!!! and big COW striper
                              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment