Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nov. 9-- Meet & Greet: Point Lookout!! Ictalurus sighting

Hey Guys,
    I hope we have a good turnout. There are lots of Rockfish in the area right now and a few trout still lurking around. Not sure if the trout will still be there, but plenty of rockfish should still be around....maybe even some big cows. If for some reason it turns nasty there are some protected waters you can fish at Point lookout and in some nearby creeks (Smith Creek, St Jeromes) so don't let the weather chase you off!
    If you want to stay the night, I could put up a couple people at my place and there are lots of motels in the area.
    Some of the Local crew will try and pre-fish the area the week before to give you an idea of what to expect. I'll be at the kayak launch at the "Camp Store" (see map) from 7am till 10AM then I'll try to catch a fish myself.
    I have arranged for us to have lunch from 2-4 at Spinnakers, a nice little restaraunt at the "Point Lookout Marina"...on Smith Creek. They'll set up a long table for us all. Good food, great view. here is a link to the menu..at least the menu in 2012. I hope it has not changed much.http://www.spinnakerswaterfrontdinin...Lunch_Menu.pdf
    I'll have more info in the next couple of days. Keep watching this thread and let me know if you expect to come.
    Rumor has it that Ictalurus Bill will be taking part, Ronault too!......so should be a good time.
    Last edited by kevinfry; 10-21-2013, 09:46 PM.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

I'm planning on this one!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Here is map #1 with some details; Please note the key

Green Arrows-- this is an area of current passing over a sand bar. This time of year it usually holds some fish. if Cows ar in I hear they are often caught off the end of this bar
      Gray Circle-- This is the area usually referred to as "Cornfield Harbor". There are lots of good places to fish here and bait has a tendency to collect here so there are often breakers to fish, even in Nov.
      Yellow Arrow-- Cornfeild Point. Current here and a steep ledge
      Pink box-- Oyster bar, some guys like to troll on this. Personally i don't catch squat here, but many do.
      Blue Star--Spinnakers Restaurant @ Point Lookout Marina, our lunch spot
      FOUL WEATHER OPTIONS
      White Arrow-- St Inigoes Landing on Smith Creek. I've never fished here this late in the year, but rumor has it it holds fish year round
      Purple Arrow-- St. Jeromes Creek. Long paddle to the creek mouth, and we'd be crowded together if the wind is really bad, but no denying that this local can be fished in the wind (see Comeonfish01 Joes many videos) successfully this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
        I'm planning on this one!
        See ya then!

Comment

Wow, those are some nice details, Kevin. Thanks for putting it together. It does give me some pressure to do a good job planning the December M&G...
          I'm still unsure of whether I'll make it on the 9th....I'll post here if I can certainly go.
          Sun Fishin'

Comment

I'm in!
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
              I'm in!
              You know I am in too....

Comment

This sounds great.
                I'm in.
                2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Buzz, Chexone, Moc....I got you!

Comment

I'll be out there with you guys! I surprisingly got the weekend off, but even if I was working I might have been fishing in full Park Service Uniform. "Water Patrols."

The fishing down here can be hit or miss, but kevinfry is right, breakers are still moving through the area. Blues have left, but lets hope they were running from the big stripers!

Kevinfry was also spot on for the fishing spots with his nifty map. Those of you that would like to launch straight into the Chesapeake are more than welcome to launch from the "Pet Beach," which is on the south side of the causeway. The area's of Southern St. Mary's have also been hot (see the increasing reports of St. Jerome's), and I've heard that St. Inigoes has been providing pullage consistently.

Can't wait to see everyone come down to PLO!
                    Fishing adds years to your life, and life to your years.

Comment

professional recon

Tom Benefield, tourney angler for "Fishbomb", told me he'd keep me posted on the presence of returning ocean stripers around the time of the M&G. His experience is that there will be a few around, but it varies from year to year as to whether the arrive in that local that early. In the meantime, he encouraged us to focus on the shallows and the areas I identified and we should be getting some keepers and regular action.

count as of right now is:
                      Moc
                      Talonangler
                      Ronault
                      Ictalarus
                      Redfish
                      Chexone
                      Buzz
                      Kevinfry

hope to see many more!!

Comment

Just received my clearance. I'm all in!

Comment

Count me in, Keeping my eye on the weather. Thanks for the work on planning and info for the M&G.

Comment

NEW count as of right now is:
                            Moc
                            Talonangler
                            Ronault
                            Ictalarus
                            Redfish
                            Chexone
                            Buzz
                            Kevinfry
                            Camelbird
                            Scorpioreno
                            clm
                            coop

Looking like lots of fun!
                            Last edited by kevinfry; 10-24-2013, 08:08 PM. Reason: add clm coop

Comment

I'm in. Just drove down there Tuesday night and back. Picked up a set of "J" roof mounts for the yak. Invited the person I got them from to the forum and the M&G.
                              Hobie Outback
                              Stand Up Paddle Board
                              Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
                              X