Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror Lures?

Fellas,
    I already confessed to being newish to the kayaking and fishing in this area on another thread. As a result of my newbieness, I don't have any mirror lures. Don't get me wrong, I have tons of other surf fishing plugs but none of the mirrolures. I have read enough threads to realize that they are a pretty common plug in this area. So starting from scratch, which are the top 5 I should add to my arsenal? (5 for now)
    Any help appreciated
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

i dont have 5, i have a she dog and top dog jr they work pretty well. saw a good tip, use 2 split rings to reduce the chance of the fish twisting the treble out

Comment

I have a couple, but I don't use them that much. Maybe on breaking fish. I forget which ones I have.

Comment

I have several sitting in a box somewhere in the house. I used to use them allot down in NC spec fishing but have not tossed them in the bay. Maybe i should throw some new hooks on them and give them a ride in the Yak this year.

I think Rattle Traps, Shad raps and bomber minnow type lures are more common in this section of the bay. I'm not sure though as i am more of a soft plastic enthusiast.

Comment

I've had good success with the Catch 2000 and Catch jr. for stripers.

MYT

Comment

i usually start off with hard baits early in the morning before sun up after sunrise i go to plastics throwing to docks and rip rap then with full sun in the summer bws on t&b rigs. mirrolures, bombers, super spooks and chug bugs are effective hard baits.

Comment

I have two for specks that I've never used. My speck trip got blown out last year. My go-to hard baits are poppers, Rattletraps, and Bomber minnows. I picked up a Mirrolure Mirrodine last year that is the spitting image of a peanut bunker. Haven't tried it out yet, though.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Fellas,
                Sorry I thought you guys were consistantly throwing them in the bay when targetting stripers. Which is somewhat of a relief for I thought I was gonna have to navigate the various combination of 16Mr's, 72S and 52R and the such.
                Just curious, and I know this is a broad questions, but from your yak when you are throwing top water in the bay or even Susky flats in the spring, what are you throwing?
                Just trying to load my tackle box up and decided if what I already have is enough for this spring season.
                Any help appreciated.
                Jay

10' Green Slayer
                13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I, like most of the others, throw mostly crankbaits. I use mostly Rapala lures. I like Shad Raps and X-Raps, in shad or ghost colors, deep divers and shallow divers. I use the larger saltwater series Rapalas for spring. I also use YoZuri Crystal Minnows in deep diver and shallow running lures, in various sizes. I do like the YoZuri Mag Darter and the chugging lure or plugs that they have, which I forget the name. I use the YoZuri Drum lures, which are similar to rattle traps, but they look like a peanut bunker.

Just remember, in the Spring use the large and extra large stuff, when fishing the open bay. Later in the year scale down some, as the fish tend to be feeding on small bunker. I am not much of a Susky flat fisherman, so the others will have to help you there. I fish mostly mid-bay.

When I use the smaller Rapalas and YoZuri lures, which I feel are designed mostly for largemouth bass, I change out the hooks. I like to use 3X strong hooks. I have have had stripers bend open the lighter hooks. I also go one size larger for the tail hook and keep the same size on the belly hook. I like to use a red hook in the belly hook location. This is just a preference of mine. However, I so have much luck trolling crankbait, rigged in such fashion.

With that said, this year I am also go with some of the fat type crankbaits. Prior to the bunker, young of the year, getting large enough, the fat type crankbaits in deep diver, should better represent some of the other forage fish the stripers are feeding on. That is just a theory so far.

Along with information form the others, this should give you a good start.

Comment

the larger poppers and jointed swimmers also large storm lures i like the holographic eye wild shad. i picked up a large chub creek knucklehead popper at 1 of the ffm that thing is a monsta, going to take it out this afternoon and see how it swims. with large baits its hard to get them to pop from the kayak you really have to work them

Comment

Fellas,
                      Thanks for the information. I will look around for some crankbaits. I can assume, if they are working, soft body shad must be on the list also.
                      Also, large poppers and jointed swimmers were also mentioned, not to be niave, but being a surffishermen I need some clarity, so were talking red fin/bomber typer swimmers and 1 to 1.5oz poppers.
                      thanks again
                      Jay

10' Green Slayer
                      13’ Red Slayer

Comment

poppers larger than 1.5 oz. and over 6". 2.5oz-3oz. the super knuckle head i was trying out today is 2.5oz, couldnt get a good test because id cast it and the wind blew it back at me even big tuna hunter poppers are good. you can dress them as you like and i do recommend changing the trebles on the smaller crank baits they just dont stand up to rock

Comment

Good to know. The polaris cast like demons, even in the wind. If I can get away with them, that would be great for I have a ton of them. I usually swap my hooks out with vmc's with wolverine or rosco split rings.
                          Thanks for the help, this is greatly needed, for I am pretty lost on the local stuff, and I very eager to start. I just need to load up correctly.
                          Thanks again.
                          Jay

10' Green Slayer
                          13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Mirrolures are great but we don't use them as much up here, not sure why. I have some in a box from NC spec fishing but I don't throw them that much. I have a pup jr it think? I just got it and I think it will be good for topwater. I've had luck with the 52mr (can't remember the number) but it's one of sinking varieties. Slow twitched it works great. Biggest problem is the amount of trebbles those things have, it's a pain sometimes trying to get the hooks out when a rock inhales it.

Bombers in shallow diving and suspending work pretty well for me too. Rattle traps are also a good go to. I'm more of s soft plastic guy but i've been picking up more on plugs lately.
                            Used to fish more.

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
                              Fellas,
                              Sorry I thought you guys were consistantly throwing them in the bay when targetting stripers. Which is somewhat of a relief for I thought I was gonna have to navigate the various combination of 16Mr's, 72S and 52R and the such.
                              Just curious, and I know this is a broad questions, but from your yak when you are throwing top water in the bay or even Susky flats in the spring, what are you throwing?
                              Just trying to load my tackle box up and decided if what I already have is enough for this spring season.
                              Any help appreciated.
                              Whoever told you that was pullin your leg or just doesn't know that much about fishing here .......... mirrorlures are great and they work ...... especially down south but I've never used one and I never heard of anyone consistantly using them up here .........

Comment

Working...
                              X