Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help filling tackle box

Fellas,
    What is in your tackle box for this spring, because I need help filling mine.
    It appears that I was a little off with my mirrolure idea, so I am trying to figure out what I need. I was given a few great suggestions on the mirror lure thread, but my Bay plano's are looking slim and I am looking to fatten them up.
    I know this is a broad questions, but with an empty tackle box, I need to be a little board, so any help appreciated.
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

My buddy gave me this for my birthday. It will fill your tackle box up quick.

Digital Livewell

Comment

You really need different tackle boxes for different seasons. Which season are you talking about.

A lure for all seasons...... Surgical tubes

Comment

For spring, I use large saltwater series Rapala, X-Raps, 15, 20 and 30. Bass pro makes a similar version and there is the old reliable Stretch by Manns Bait Company. The last two cost a bit less, but the Rapala is built better and looks somewhat better. To start out, I will runn a shallow Rapala, which will run about 5ft below the surface. I will also run a 15. I will adjust to deeper models, if I am marking fish at deeper levels.

I also use the YoZuri Hydro minnow in the spring, up to 40ft depth, usually not needed.

Later in the year I will down size, but I will keep with the crankbaits. I use crankbaits, as I don't like having to use a weight in front of my trolled lures. If you don't mind the weight, you may also use large parachutes and bucktails. You may get away without additional weight on the parachute if you use a heavy model.

My favorite color with the Rapala is Glass Ghost. I will also use Bunker and Redhead. I also use chartreuse, in the Stretch and YoZuri. I do have some chrome colors for sunny days.

I agree with Memory Maker, you only need the very large stuff in the spring. All other times, I down size some.

Good Luck, hope this helps some.
        Last edited by DOGFISH; 02-16-2011, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Hmm...

Bucktails will catch everything.

Leadheads: (I prefer ball heads or shadheads) from 1/4-1.5oz. Probably heaviest concentration in the 1/4-3/4 range and go for the longest hook shanks you can get. My 3/4 are on a long or extra long 4/0.

Softplastics: zoom super flukes, magnum flukes, paddletail flukes, bass assassins, exude darts, storm shads, sassy shads (4 inch pearl), sluggos, hogys, gulp, grubs from 3-6", bkds, etc.

Hooks: circles from 2/0-8/0, 4-8 for catching spot, croakers, perch, 3/0 - 5/0 j hooks for making tandems or dropshots, 3/0-8/0 (or bigger if you can find them) swimbait hooks. The gami and owner twistlocks are nice but $$$.

Plugs: 4-8 inch range x-raps, bombers, redfins, rattletraps, thundersticks, crystal minnows, rapala's etc. Shallow diving, suspending, or deep dive if you plan on trolling. Topwater spooks, pencils, etc not my specialty if I even have one...

Lead: eggs from 1/4-3 (heavier if trolling), banks from 1/2-6 for bottom fishing or dropshotting, trolling sinkers as heavy as you think you need

Flies: large deceivers, clousers, sliders, small marabou jigs, poppers, etc.

That will hopefully get you going! As for this weekend, fishing show and them maybe a walk on trip to a discharge in the bay?
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

from my limited knowledge i would say michael has covered just about everything. you could do with a box of metal too. stingsilvers, diamond jigs, crippled herrings, hopkins shortys etc etc.. maybe a couple pet spoons.

only thing i'd add for flies would be some bay anchovies and some gummy minnows
            Last edited by mdmakaira410; 02-16-2011, 02:30 PM.
            Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Ah metal. Knew I forgot something! Krocks, Hopkins, kastmasters, stingsilvers are great to have especially in the summer.

I would change the hooks to singles though and put the plugs away when the blues come, or at least change to singles. They are a mess on the yak. I kept a light rod rigged with a krocodile spoon when I was out and the schools of blues would surface. Lots of fun but those things are vicious.

Comment

Depends on the type of fishing you are doing also. I thought you were talking about spring trolling. I don't know about what type fishing you have done in the past, but a good book on fishing and rigs may help.

Comment

Oh woops, I was giving general rockfish stuff. Bigger baits in spring, but most stuff catches, just a general rule big fish big bait.

Comment

nobody mentioned blood worms and perch heads. ive had very good early season fish on these but dont put them in your tackle box put them in your cooler. when i keep some wp for my wife's friends i always keep the heads and put them away in the freezer for spring C&R

Comment

Man i should have done that with the perch head last year. I do have several spot chilling out in the freezer. Maybe i could try chunking those up when my arms get tired of trolling.

Do you drift with the perch and bloods or anchor and bottom fish?

Comment

Thanks a lot fellas. I have a lot to work on. It is always good to hear that bucktails work for I tie and pore my own, even started dying my own tails just for fun.
                        I know I will most likely use a lot of soft plastics, but it is always fun to load up with hard plastics.

Kegs,
                        ....Now about that rainbow Rapala in the first thread, does that fit in a 3600 or 3700 plano?
                        Jay

10' Green Slayer
                        13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
                          Man i should have done that with the perch head last year. I do have several spot chilling out in the freezer. Maybe i could try chunking those up when my arms get tired of trolling.

Do you drift with the perch and bloods or anchor and bottom fish?
                          drift or slow troll will work anchoring is good also if a drop off is near. 90% of my early C&R is from shore spsp or pax river at hog point. i will usually set out a couple rods with 4/0-7/0 c-hooks thread a fat bw on and let it soak on the bottom and set one rod out with a wp or spot head on a 7/0 c-hook rigged fish finder style.

i hope this spring isnt a windy as last year, was at hog point in the rain and wind sucked but did get 20.oo gift cert. from the tackle box for 1 of the first stripers of trophy season and our pix on the wall

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                            Hmm...

That will hopefully get you going! As for this weekend, fishing show and them maybe a walk on trip to a discharge in the bay?
                            Redfish,
                            Which fishing show? Are you talking Surfday?
                            Jay

10' Green Slayer
                            13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
                              Redfish,
                              Which fishing show? Are you talking Surfday?
                              PSG ffm 1 of the best in the area.
                              Last edited by surfdog; 02-16-2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X