17 hour Deep Drop Trip Dec 28th - Space Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toyomo View Post
    Does the boat provide pretty decent quality tackle? Is anyone from snaggedline bringing their own gear?
    I'm bringing my own gear. I prefer left-handed reels and they usually have only righties. I also like to go a size smaller than is recommended, so I can feel the fish. Plus, I love to test out my own stuff... it's part of the fun. I will use their sinkers though.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I also prefer left hand stuff. If u dont mind what type of gear are u bringing just so i get an idea the caliber of reel i need.
      2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

A size too small

AVET SX 6/4 2-speed reel w/ 40lb metered powerpro (it holds 1300 ft of line)
        Shimano Trevala 6' Heavy (Med Fast)
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback

Comment

Also gonna go at it with an Avet. (SX 5.3). If it doesn't bode well, I'll use a rental setup.
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Moc or Tufnik, do you know what kind of bait they provide?
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by toyomo View Post
              I also prefer left hand stuff. If u dont mind what type of gear are u bringing just so i get an idea the caliber of reel i need.
              You can see the types of rod/reels they use in this picture from one of Tufnik's previous trips:

Mike S.
              Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                Oh yeah, I purchased my ticket a week or so ago. See you guys there.
                All right Metro..... it should be a fun time. I hope your freezer is big enough.

Comment

Looks like we got going on the trip:

Myself (MOC)
                  Harmat
                  Tufnik
                  Shady
                  Chexone
                  Metroman
                  Toyomo

are definitely going
                  Harmat and I will be staying at the Best Western in VA Beach, which is an ocean front hotel on the boardwalk (concrete walk) Friday and Sat. They provide breakfast which we will take advantage of when we drive back north Sunday morning. $45 per night double occupancy.

Comment

Tufnik's Tips:

- Dress warm. Since the wx is unpredictable, be prepared. The wind chill can be quite cold, not to mention ocean spray. Reco a water-resistant heavy jacket. I use thermal underwear, layered shirts, heavy water-resistant jacket, gloves and head gear.
                    - Wear rubber boots. On one trip the seas were rough and the water splashed on deck. I had soaked shoes. Not real comfortable. I now bring rubber boots. Some guys use high rubber boots. Some guys also wear plastic aprons.
                    - Bring sleeping bag or mat. The trip out to the first fishing spot will probably be about five hours. I was on one trip that took seven hours. Anyway, many guys bring a bag or mat to sleep on. Some guys sleep on the bench seats, but these seats are limited.
                    - Take motion sickness pills. On one trip, the five hour trip out was over rough seas. Many guys got sick. I personally do not take pills. I do get a little nausea though, but I ignore it because fishing and catching takes my mind off the ill feeling.
                    - Bring a large cooler. I brought a 48 qt cooler before, but it was too small. Fish tails stuck out and I couldn't close the cover, and that didn't include ice. Some guys bring 100 and up to 200 qt coolers. I now use a 70 qt cooler, which should be just right. I bought mine from Wal-Mart for $35.
                    - You may want to bring your own gear. Their gear is not exactly great, but it'll do the job. I'd say about 30% of the anglers use the boat's gear. The rest bring their own. I bring my own.
                    - All gear is provided, but whether you bring your own gear or use the boat's gear, you may want to bring your own terminal tackle. I do. Why? When the mates are busy, you have to wait for them to rig you back up when you lose your leader. Even though I use my own pre-rigged leaders, I don't have to wait. It's worth it to me because I want to fish right away.
                    - Of course, bring food. Some guys bring multi-course meals. I personally don't eat heavy on these trips, especially when I do get a little motion-sickness.
                    - You may want to bring your own bait. I don't. I know moc likes to bring big squid.

If you bring your own equipment:
                    -- Reel. You need a reel big enough to hold at least 500 yds. Depending on wx and fishing conditions, the boat may go to very deep water, which is about 900 ft. I have 500 yds of 50# braid on a Penn Fathom 30 conventional at 6:1. (I plan to put at least 60# next time). Some guys use 80 or up to 120# braid.
                    -- Rod. You may drop as heavy as 30 ounces. Rod needs to be stiff enough to handle the weight. No fun using a wet noodle. I use a 6'6" med-heavy 20-50# Ugly Stick.
                    -- Leader. They use about 70# mono. I use the same, sometimes as low as 50#.
                    -- Hooks. Anywhere from 3/0 to 7/0. I use 4/0 to 6/0. I've seen guys use J, beak, octopus or circle. I prefer J or beak.
                    -- Sinkers. I bring anywhere from 8 up to 24 ounce bank or ball sinkers. Sometimes I combine sinkers.

I think the boat leaves about 3 am. If everyone is there earlier, the boat will depart early.

If some of you can't make it on the 28th, consider going on a later trip. I'll probably go several times during Jan-Apr. PM me if you're interested, and I'll post my plan for a next trip.

Hope that helps.
                    Last edited by tufnik; 12-17-2013, 08:30 PM.
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

BTW, nice MKF group. Looking forward to getting out there with you guys.
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thanks Tufnik and Chexone for the very detailed info. These are exactly the type of questions I was asking myself like cooler size and how good is their gear etc. You pretty much answered them all. I am looking forward to a fun trip.
                        2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Just got off of work, but last January, we went on the Deep Drop January 5th 2013 because the Dec trip got blown out. We left the dock early at 2:30am instead of 3am. We went 70 mile into the Atlantic. We arrived at our destination at 7am. The boat used squid, but I had better luck with the larger squid from the International Market. We had a 100 quart cooler filled with fish by 10am between the two of us. The cooler weighed 130 pounds which translated into 60 pounds of fillets. I tried blue fish for bait, but nothing took it. I would have been better off taking more large squid. If I could find some crab, then I would bring some. We were able to watch the football games on the way back. The boat had a 47 inch LCD TV with a satellite TV connection. I would bring my own hooks to try out, but on both deep drop trips we used the boat's tackle and had no issues. Less fuss to worry about. Some guys did bring electric reels. Now those were a big help for those that had them. Anyway, we still overfilled out cooler with the boat gear. I will wear water resistant boots that are comfortable, and I will layer up.

Comment

I just ordered a new cooler from walmart. 62qt, wheeled.

Comment

Lol i just picked up a 120 qt...maybe just wishful thinking.
                              2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Would be nice to get into a couple of tile fish...

Comment

Working...
                                X