17 hour Deep Drop Trip Dec 28th - Space Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toyomo View Post
    Lol i just picked up a 120 qt...maybe just wishful thinking.
    That's called confidence... and planning for success. And maybe getting other people's fish in your cooler, when theirs are full.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
      That's called confidence... and planning for success. And maybe getting other people's fish in your cooler, when theirs are full.
      I second that ...

Comment

There's two or three hand trucks on the pier so you can haul your big full coolers to your car. Probably 100-130 yds to your car, depending on where you park.

Metro,
        If you get good bites on the tiles, you're not going to be able to close the cooler lid. Bring a spare bag or whatever for "excess" fish.

Tiles are fun to catch, but the sea bass is the king on the table.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I will lease space in toyomo's 2 bedroom cooler if I have storage issues
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
            Metro,
            If you get good bites on the tiles, you're not going to be able to close the cooler lid.
            That would be a nice problem to have!

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
            I will lease space in toyomo's 2 bedroom cooler if I have storage issues
            Lets fill them all up till the lids dont close.

On a related topic, since cooler space is gonna be at a premium and its pretty cold weather, does anyone put ice in their cooler ahead of time?
            2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

I spoke to the Rudee Angler today to confirm a few things. They do have two boats going out, so for snaggedline members, make sure that you are on the first boat. They told me that they can keep our group together. For bait, they use squid and sometime sardines. They will go out in any winds below 20mph at sea. Optimally you want 10 to 15mph to go. They will make a go or no go by Thursday. The trip this weekend got blown out. Hopefully ours will not.

Comment

Im mad Im not able to make this trip. I will be coming back from out of town that day. Any other day I would be rolling with you guys. If by any chance the trip gets postponed if there are any openings for the make up date I will be in. Good luck to everybody and I know you all will represent well.

Comment

toyomo,
                  At 120, you are ready, man, you are ready.

Mike,
                  Your 40# braid may give you issue. It's not the strength, it's the line thickness. The thicker the line, the easier it will be to untangle, and you'll probably get tangled with other lines. If the mate thinks it's too much trouble to untangle the line, he'll cut it. So now your line is shorter. Even my 50# braid is a bit too thin. I plan to put on 65 or 80#.

Comment

Mike,
                    Your 40# braid may give you issue. It's not the strength, it's the line thickness. The thicker the line, the easier it will be to untangle, and you'll probably get tangled with other lines. If the mate thinks it's too much trouble to untangle the line, he'll cut it. So now your line is shorter. Even my 50# braid is a bit too thin. I plan to put on 65 or 80#.
                    I hadn't thought of that. Noted. If I spool thicker line, I won't have enough on there to reach the fathoms we hunt in. I guess I'll take the risk and if it sucks, I'll use a boat rod. I really want to use the Avet. It was the second reel I ever bought (I obviously -and erroneously- thought I'd be catching HUGE fish) and I have never caught anything with it, and used it very little. The deeper we go, the more we tangle?
                    Mike S.
                    Hobie Outback

Comment

I hadn't thought of that. Noted. If I spool thicker line, I won't have enough on there to reach the fathoms we hunt in. I guess I'll take the risk and if it sucks, I'll use a boat rod. I really want to use the Avet. It was the second reel I ever bought (I obviously -and erroneously- thought I'd be catching HUGE fish) and I have never caught anything with it, and used it very little. The deeper we go, the more we tangle?
                      Yep, the deeper the more likely to tangle because the current, boat drift and line lengths. I'd go ahead and use the reel to try it out. You may get lucky and not get tangled. We may not go deep either.

On one trip, somebody on the other side of the boat pulled my line up. He (not necessarily the mate) cut my line and I lost maybe a hundred yards. Good thing we didn't go to real deep water after that with my shorter line.

Also, the boat drifts, so your sinker will not be under the boat. At 500' depth, your line may be out over 600'.

Comment

I'm going to bring extra line then. I'll double uni them together if I lose some, and hope it holds.
                        Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback

Comment

I'm going to bring extra line then. I'll double uni them together if I lose some, and hope it holds.
                          Practice tying now.

Comment

Practice tying now.
                            ... with gloves on, while moving up and down, with all the snaggedliners screaming "FISH ON!" and huge fish flopping on the deck left and right.
                            Mike S.
                            Hobie Outback

Comment

The comfort is knowing we will be out there fishing for HOURS, so taking a few minutes to tie a good knot wont put a dent on the day. I plan on testing out my Avet as well. If it doesn't work out I'll use a boat rod. Speaking of rods, I picked up a 5'6" "broomstick" from Bass pro last night for $28...figured since I'll be going on a few of these trips, might as well get a rod that can hold the weight comfortably.
                              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

What are the gear ratio on your rods?

Comment

Working...
                                X