No announcement yet.

Christmas came early - Slayer Propel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh wow. That is one awesome boat. My new dream kayak.
    That horizontal rudder looks slick too. Can't wait to hear from you about how well it maneuvers.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Sweet new yak, John

Comment

Good looking rig.... Can you adjust the pedals for guys with longer legs or shorter legs>
        http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
        484-459-9863
        If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
        *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by docirv View Post
          Good looking rig.... Can you adjust the pedals for guys with longer legs or shorter legs>
          You can adjust the seat forward and backwards -- it slides on two gear tracks. It is an easy adjustment -- loosen one knob on each side, then slide. See the 3rd and 10th photos on my original post to see the layout.

This is a new generation of Propel drive unit. Native made a shorter length on the crank shaft this time. Supposedly this improves the comfort of paddling.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Can you do a test in HEAVY current and in windy conditions of at least 15kts open water? I would like to see how the propel handles it, I have not been able to find any reviews or videos on how the propel will deal with the. Elements. Good looking rig , I am a fan of the lizard lick and copperhead colors.
            Last edited by Pinch; 12-24-2013, 11:55 AM.
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Congrats John! I think that will be a great platform for fishing, particularly for trolling presentations. I think I can hear the stripers trembling beneath the waves already!
              Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Nice new ride. Congrats!

Outback 2015
                Maui

Comment

Always make sure that seat is strapped in. They are $money$ to replace. I found out the hard way.

Boat looks awesome!
                  Native Slayer 12
                  Native Ultimate

Comment

I like the layout and seat. Have you tried an Outback or Revo with the mirage drive? I'd like to know your impressions compared with your Propel. (e.g., maneuverability, speed, thrust, stability)
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I will start my reply by acknowledging that I have never used a Mirage drive kayak. I visited Backyard Boats a few years ago to take a look at the Outback and Revo. I sat in both models on the showroom floor and found that my hipbones rubbed the sides of the seating well. That pretty much took them out of consideration. I'm sure the PAs would have enough room for me, but at that time I was not interested in spending the extra money and dealing with the weight of that model.

There are advantages to each type of kayak. I do not intend to belittle or criticize the Hobie kayaks -- they are very good products. I believe that for my body size and styles of fishing, the Slayer Propel is a better choice for me. I look forward to getting it out on the water and letting other kayakers have a look and take short test rides.

Back to your question -- two days ago, I found a website for Native kayak owners. Someone posed a similar question there http://www.nativeownersgroup.com/sho...Bashing-Please. I felt the replies were quite informative. Feel free to check that out.

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                      I like the layout and seat. Have you tried an Outback or Revo with the mirage drive? I'd like to know your impressions compared with your Propel. (e.g., maneuverability, speed, thrust, stability)
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Congrats on the new boat! Some unique design features for sure. One thing I am curious about is the rudder, is it in a fixed position that will be easily damaged dragging the boat loading and unloading?

Comment

It does not swing up out of the way like many rudders do. It is permanently mounted under the rear end of the hull. I sure hope it is not easily damaged -- time will tell.

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
                          Congrats on the new boat! Some unique design features for sure. One thing I am curious about is the rudder, is it in a fixed position that will be easily damaged dragging the boat loading and unloading?
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis

Comment

Nice looking boat, John! We'll have to have a drag race down Ego Alley sometime.
                            LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Im jealous..
                              Jackson Cuda Black Widow

Comment

Working...
                              X