No announcement yet.

Snakehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm hopeful that something like this is the start of accepting the fish and regulating it like other sport fish. They taste phenomenal and it's a shame bow fishermen are allowed to just go out and decimate the population. Seems like VA is the one usually leaning more towards acceptance, so I'm surprised this is coming out of Charles County!
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Acceptance? No thank you.
      If they were wiped out of our watershed I would not shed a tear.

I grew up catching smallies on the upper Potomac. Accepting snakeheads would be then end of the smallmouth bass in the Potomac.

Kill 'em... kill 'em all
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
        Acceptance? No thank you.
        If they were wiped out of our watershed I would not shed a tear.

I grew up catching smallies on the upper Potomac. Accepting snakeheads would be then end of the smallmouth bass in the Potomac.

Kill 'em... kill 'em all
        I may be wrong, but I don't think there's any evidence that the Snakehead population increase has had any direct impact on the bass population. If so, I'd love to read some studies on this. There is a lot of excitement about the potential revenue for businesses and the state. It also may relax the stress already on some of the other sport fish in our area. I haven't heard any good arguments for deleting them from our waters. I have heard they can destroy the ecosystems of ponds but I'm not sure about bigger water like the large rivers in our area. Any thoughts on this?
        Live for today, and fish often...
        2014 Pro Angler 14
        St. Jerome Creek, Dameron

Comment

I think they are here to stay and like it or not people are just going to have to accept that they will be part of the ecosystem now.
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I have been reading recent articles from 2012 and 2013, the results have been mixed. Some are stating the snakehead and bass are coexisting, actually one article stated the bass population rebounded in 2012 inside the Potomac river. Other articles are reinforcing the danger of the largemouth bass virus that the Northern Snakehead carry. The virus is spreading throughout the Virginia and Potomac areas. Who knows if the Snakehead are the nasty monsters they are portrayed to be. I love to catch them, I love to eat them...if they showed up in my neck of the woods, it would not upset me one bit!
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

If we're suppose to kill them onsite, then why did DNR post that there are tagged snakeheads in the water. Seems like they've already thrown in the towel or they would have popped those fish in the microwave. I'm looking forward to catching some this summer.
              PigPen - Mt Airy
              Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Its part of a study of their movements.

Comment

Can you provide more info on this alleged virus? I am pretty sure I have heard that one before and that the virus was actually present in the watershed prior to the arrival of the snakeheads and only hypothesized to be carried by snakeheads. Some largemouth tournament nuts started that one awhile back.

Long live the Potomac pike!
                  Used to fish more.

Comment

I caught a very small on on the Occoquan(?) just down from the resivior dam in Woodbridge. That's Ben 6 years ago. On of my yearly new fish target species. Going to slime my new Tuna with one!
                    Martin

2013 Jackson Kayak Big Tuna

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                      Can you provide more info on this alleged virus? I am pretty sure I have heard that one before and that the virus was actually present in the watershed prior to the arrival of the snakeheads and only hypothesized to be carried by snakeheads. Some largemouth tournament nuts started that one awhile back.

Long live the Potomac pike!
                      The article said that Snakeheads have it and then went on to say that there were massive fish kills in places that don't have snakeheads .......... so it begs the question .......... did the bass give the virus to the snakehead?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...637_story.html

Comment

I plan to shoot some snakeheads with my bow from my pa, i think that would be pretty awesome.
                        Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                        -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                        -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Working...
                        X