February meet and greet 2/22/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February meet and greet 2/22/2014

Time to start planning for the February Meet and Greet. We will be fishing the mighty Susquehanna River for yellow perch. THE DATE HAS CHANGED TO SATURDAY FEBRUARY 22 DUE TO ICE. I will be there at Sunrise for the early risers, it's a beautiful experience watching the sunrise over the river:

001.jpg

I have fished the area a few times and have only caught smaller males. Hopefully by waiting till the third Saturday of the month, the larger males and fat females will be schooling up and preparing to spawn. We will be launching out of Jean Roberts Memorial park, this is a free launch for kayaks and a port-a-pot is on site. The parking lot can accommodate a number of trailers, but first come first serve. The ramp is only a few feet from the parking spots and a padded kayak friendly lane is available to the right of the ramp.

http://www.harfordcountymd.gov/parks....cfm?ParkID=61

We will be dining at the exquisite Tidewater Grille located only minutes from the Launching area. We will be parking in the back lot which will also accommodate those with trailers. Please do not park in the designated VFW parking spots, they are labeled. I was hoping we could plan to arrive at the restaurant at 1:30pm, this will give us plenty of time on the water. Let me know if you are attending Lunch.

http://www.thetidewatergrille.com/

The typical setup for this area of fishing is a top and bottom rig with live minnows and 1-2 ounces of weight depending on the wind and current. Some prefer snelled hooks with beads and spinners, some use shad darts, and some just use plain hooks with the minnows. The closest tackle shop to purchase minnows is:

https://plus.google.com/111948587205...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Usually a half pint will do, it comes to around 2 dozen. I prefer using a double dropshot rig with soft plastics, especially if the temps are freezing. It's no fun digging around for minnows with stinging hands. My goto plastics are 2" Berkley power grubs in pearl....but everyone has their favorites. Minnows will out produce plastics and you might drag up a few channel cats. The water depths vary from 10-80 FOW, usually 30-40 feet provides the best results but all days are different. This is a great area for new comers since the launch is convenient and plenty of floating docks to sneak into if the winds are strong. Last year this was my very first meet and greet, I only had a few hours on a kayak and was extremely nervous on the water. Everyone was courteous and helpful, so expect more of the same this year!!

Here are a few more pictures to help answer any questions:

Aviary Photo_130340465063361163.jpg

And:

Aviary Photo_130340469754517353.jpg

Attending FEBRUARY 22:
    Sparky1423 (Lunch)
    rjte85
    Kitkatyaker? (Lunch?)
    Docirv? (Lunch?)
    moc (Lunch)
    Coop 1486 (Lunch)
    DaveFX35 (Lunch)
    Yak Fish (Lunch)
    AbuMasgouf
    Chimo?
    LenFewster (Lunch)
    Nitefly (Lunch)
    yakkinfish18 and son (Lunch)
    yakhooker19 (Lunch)
    echo5oscar (Lunch)
    Monocacykayak (Lunch)
    Goody (Lunch)
    Shady (Lunch)
    jhoss (Lunch)
    Last edited by sparky1423; 02-21-2014, 04:40 AM.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

count me in! Thanks Jeremy for the tips, and for organizing.
    Sun Fishin'

Comment

You know I'll be there, for lunch too.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

I will be there for fishing and lunch.

Comment

Better tell the bait shop to stock up!
          Hurricane Skimmer 128
          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Weather permitting I will try to be there if I can get away from the sportsman show at oaks in PA that day. The first link in your post is screwy.,
            http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
            484-459-9863
            If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
            *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Planning to be there for fishing and lunch. May try this weekend if anyone is interested
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                Time to start planning for the February Meet and Greet. We will be fishing the mighty Susquehanna River for yellow perch. Saturday the 15th will be our target date...rain or shine. I will be there at Sunrise for the early risers, it's a beautiful experience watching the sunrise over the river:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10580[/ATTACH]

I have fished the area a few times and have only caught smaller males. Hopefully by waiting till the third Saturday of the month, the larger males and fat females will be schooling up and preparing to spawn. We will be launching out of Jean Roberts Memorial park, this is a free launch for kayaks and a port-a-pot is on site. The parking lot can accommodate a number of trailers, but first come first serve. The ramp is only a few feet from the parking spots and a padded kayak friendly lane is available to the right of the ramp.

http://www.hdgrec.org/locations/jean...-memorial-park

We will be dining at the exquisite Tidewater Grille located only minutes from the Launching area. We will be parking in the back lot which will also accommodate those with trailers. Please do not park in the designated VFW parking spots, they are labeled. I was hoping we could plan to arrive at the restaurant at 1:30pm, this will give us plenty of time on the water. Let me know if you are attending Lunch.
                What's up with this first link?
                Says the website has been hacked by RegalChivas
                2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Changed the first link, strange...it was working earlier this morning.
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                    Better tell the bait shop to stock up!
                    Called the bait shop and they always have 4 gallons on hand, at least they say. I will call the week before and see if they will heavy-up...Does that mean your coming?!
                    Last edited by sparky1423; 01-13-2014, 03:24 PM.
                    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Count me in for fishing and maybe for lunch. Any advice on the gear to use? I assume light spinning gear and maybe a catfish rod?

Comment

I'm in for fishing but not lunch

Looking forward to it Sparky!
                        -Mustafa
                        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I'm tenativly in.

Also, Herb's tackle shop in North East MD usually has minnows too. Best to call first though.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Also, he's a link to the launch info from the DNR (.pdf) http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/p...nHarford10.pdf
                            FYI it's $4 to launch "trailered vessels" but free to launch kayaks/canoes. I'm not sure which camp "kayaks that are trailered" fall under.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I'm in for fishing, but only tentative for lunch.
                              Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X